Houston is gonna drop the ball on Watson

Blue

23 minutes ago, scar988 said:

They can't fine him that much by CBA rules. But yes, if he's listed as active for 6 games, the year moves.

Isn't this the QB version of Trent Williams in Washington? Can they not give him a conduct detrimental designation,  dock his first 10 weeks of paychecks? Say he comes back for week 11 to try and get his 6gms in, the team isn't required to make him active are they?

I'd love to see a Organization finally stand their ground give these players the 🖕 and say, sit, don't get paid,  waste the next 5 years of your career. You'll play for no one else. Your move!

Let Watson look his teammates in their eyes,  walk through Houston and do the same to those fans while taking that route.

Now as a Texans fan, I'd obviously not want that to unfold and just move on, take the hit, get away from the drama/media circus but move on. As an Eagle fan thats exactly what we just did with Wentz. Different situations obviously but similar results. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Isn't this the QB version of Trent Williams in Washington? Can they not give him a conduct detrimental designation,  dock his first 10 weeks of paychecks? Say he comes back for week 11 to try and get his 6gms in, the team isn't required to make him active are they?

I'd love to see a Organization finally stand their ground give these players the 🖕 and say, sit, don't get paid,  waste the next 5 years of your career. You'll play for no one else. Your move!

Let Watson look his teammates in their eyes,  walk through Houston and do the same to those fans while taking that route.

Now as a Texans fan, I'd obviously not want that to unfold and just move on, take the hit, get away from the drama/media circus but move on. As an Eagle fan thats exactly what we just did with Wentz. Different situations obviously but similar results. 

I don't condone anyone who sides with owners over players, tbh.. especially in a situation where the owners are clearly the problem

This isn't a situation of a greedy player.. this is a situation of a player trying to escape a crappy situation

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Even the Redskins eventually caved and traded Williams away, because it really was just getting ridiculous that they not trade him. Even Mike Brown, Mike Brown of all people caved and trade Carson Palmer who was not going to take another snap as a Bengal. Even if you had a dope like Hue Jackson in line to make the trade work, Brown is the last person who would trade someone like Palmer, yet he did instead of get nothing for him. Houston will cave. 

Even if Watson came back at this point it would be an awkward situation where he's just there due to his contract, not that he wants to be there. Might even pull a Duane Thomas, and just be a silent malcontent. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

I don't condone anyone who sides with owners over players, tbh.. especially in a situation where the owners are clearly the problem

This isn't a situation of a greedy player.. this is a situation of a player trying to escape a crappy situation

I might agree with this take if Watson didn't just sign his $160M extension 5 months ago. Mind you this was after the Hopkins trade, after FA, shortly before wk1.  He chose the money, chose the Texans. He knew the organization he was signing his extension with. Crap FO, crap Owners and All. That didn't just magically appear during the 2020 season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Saying it’s a different situation is putting it lightly. Watson wouldn’t be doing this with the Eagles like Wentz did.

10 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I might agree with this take if Watson didn't just sign his $160M extension 5 months ago. Mind you this was after the Hopkins trade, after FA, shortly before wk1.  He chose the money, chose the Texans. He knew the organization he was signing his extension with. Crap FO, crap Owners and All. That didn't just magically appear during the 2020 season.

He signed the contract because he wanted to stay with the Texans. Everyone has a breaking point though, and that happened during the season as Easterby started to gain more power for whatever reason. It started with a lot of the operational staff like Amy Palcic being fired because she didn’t fit his idea of culture. It came to a head when McNair basically lied to Watson about letting him be involved in the coaching search and that Easterby would not have any say over the next FO, and the complete opposite happened. Instead of a fresh start with guys like Omar Khan, you have the puppeteer still pulling the strings behind the scenes.

• Like 2

sports in general are very predatory towards young players

they have very little control over their initial contract, or where they are forced to go. Their contracts are set for X number of years, which can include options and franchise tags that they have little to no say over.

I have ZERO issues with a dude having an opportunity to get a payday and taking it. He could get injured and never see that money again if he doesn't

Contracts have the ability to be left. Teams can cut players despite them being on contract, but the only option players have if they think their contract is "unfair" or if they feel like their workplace situation is "toxic" is to withhold their services in an attempt to leverage the team to do what they want.

I have no issues with Watson or other players choosing to do that. I feel like the "he signed a contract" people are extremely stoogey and I never hear those people criticizing the team/owners by saying "but they gave him a contract" whenever a player gets cut

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I have no issues with Watson or other players choosing to do that. I feel like the "he signed a contract" people are extremely stoogey and I never hear those people criticizing the team/owners by saying "but they gave him a contract" whenever a player gets cut

I'd always be curious to know that if you could cut a player and owe $0 on the cap hit but HAD to pay the ENTIRE SALARY for the remaining years on the contract, how that would work.

Players get paid guaranteed contracts.

Teams get to cut players who can no longer help them out and be free and clear from a cap standpoint.

Owners have a decision to make and can't leverage things to this extent as much.

Just an interesting thought/conversation starter.

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

This helps no one and only hurts the Texans even more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'd always be curious to know that if you could cut a player and owe $0 on the cap hit but HAD to pay the ENTIRE SALARY for the remaining years on the contract, how that would work.

Players get paid guaranteed contracts.

Teams get to cut players who can no longer help them out and be free and clear from a cap standpoint.

Owners have a decision to make and can't leverage things to this extent as much.

Just an interesting thought/conversation starter.

The amount of cap manipulation that goes on already is ridiculous. Imagine the gymnastics teams would be able to do without dead money. Players wouldn't care because of the guarantees but teams who do generate as much revenue or do not want to overspend would be at a disadvantage. Jerry Jones would buy guys every year.

7 hours ago, Xenos said:

He signed the contract because he wanted to stay with the Texans. Everyone has a breaking point though, and that happened during the season as Easterby started to gain more power for whatever reason. It started with a lot of the operational staff like Amy Palcic being fired because she didn’t fit his idea of culture. It came to a head when McNair basically lied to Watson about letting him be involved in the coaching search and that Easterby would not have any say over the next FO, and the complete opposite happened. Instead of a fresh start with guys like Omar Khan, you have the puppeteer still pulling the strings behind the scenes.

You understand the situation.

Jack Easterby five months ago is a different person than Jack Easterby right now. Five months ago, Easterby was in his lane as a character coach, a guy who would do odd jobs around the building - coordinate pre game meals, set the schedule for film and workout sessions, ensure delivery schedules for equipment on road trips - Executive Assistant type stuff for Bill O'Brien. If Easterby stays in his lane, I don't think we're having this conversation, at all.

Once O'Brien was fired - Easterby "did everything except call plays" according to sources. He had Any Palcic fired because of comments she made following the election (given the McNair's political leanings, I'll let you guess who Palcic talked about) and he ran Jamey Rootes out - a guy Bob McNair considered like a son. That's not Executive Assistant, that's a Dictator executing rebels in the town square. This isn't staying in his lane, this is driving backwards while drifting across a busy highway, flipping people off the whole time...

People really need to stop saying "well he signed his contract with Easterby still there" because there was a significant power vacuum once the HC/GM got fired (deservedly fired, let's not misconstrue this). Easterby filled said power vacuum instead of getting fired himself, and he's proven to be MORE detrimental than BoB.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Once O'Brien was fired - Easterby "did everything except call plays" according to sources. He had Any Palcic fired because of comments she made following the election (given the McNair's political leanings, I'll let you guess who Palcic talked about) and he ran Jamey Rootes out - a guy Bob McNair considered like a son. That's not Executive Assistant, that's a Dictator executing rebels in the town square. This isn't staying in his lane, this is driving backwards while drifting across a busy highway, flipping people off the whole time...

Tbh this sounds pretty based to me. The Texans seem to have turned into this magical land and when growing up Easterby just had one childhood wish, to go total #Yolo on an NFL franchise.. and now here we are.

Honestly this story kind of reminds me of that guy working on an airfield that one day decided to hijack a plane and then without any training what so ever did a sick loop. That's Easterby in my mind from now on out, he's just raging against the machine and living out his fantasies while doing so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dingo18287 said:

I think the fact that Jack Easterby has some how not “voluntarily” stepped down speaks volumes about how much of a bum he is. Most normal people would have figured out they should probably step away by now. 

Yup. For somebody who states his mission is to "serve others" you'd think he'd give Caserio and Cal a quick out, negotiate a golden parachute and leave them to do their work. Alas, Easterby might only be serving himself...

Some interesting math to consider:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/27/deshaun-watson-would-lose-up-to-20-2-million-if-he-sits-out-the-2021-season/amp

It's easy to say that Watson should stand his ground when you're not due to lose $20mm.