Houston is gonna drop the ball on Watson

Blue

This isn't ending well. It isn't ending anytime soon.

If the plan is a draft day trade and the avoidance is part of this plan to drive the offer up as high it can get - then the Texans FO is doing a great job (which is unfathomable, this FO can't count to 20 while wearing shoes...)

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How far do you have to go before you get to Watson on the QB list, not including age:

Rodgers/Mahomes

MAYBE Tom Brady

Watson/Allen

...to me, that's the list.

Throw in AGE, and you get Mahomes as about the only guy above him...and maybe there's an argument for a guy still on a rookie contract like Allen/Herbert for the sheer sake of contract/cap space.

Throw in other guys you may want to argue for, like Lamar Jackson for a few people, or the upside of a guy like Joe Burrow (unproven/injured) or the upside of Trevor Lawrence...but I'm not sure you could really argue anyone else. 

Watson is definitely in the top 5 to top 8 of  QBs. I go Mahomes > Wilson > Rodgers > Brady > Watson

But I think the 1 for 1 trade is a bit more nuanced than just saying who’s better. Take Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. Two good young QBs. I put Watson over both. But if I’m those teams, I wouldn’t make that trade. You need strong arm QBs to play in Cleveland and Buffalo. 

Just my opinion of course. This logic doesn’t apply to Herbert and Murray. But I think those two teams don’t make that trade either. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This isn't ending well. It isn't ending anytime soon.

If the plan is a draft day trade and the avoidance is part of this plan to drive the offer up as high it can get - then the Texans FO is doing a great job (which is unfathomable, this FO can't count to 20 while wearing shoes...)

I don't even mind that hardline approach if they have made progress on the relationship itself. But as far as I have heard, they are not making ANY ground there. I don't see how this ends well

As for your second point - creating a bidding war HAS to be the best option for driving up the price. This whole "making him unavailable will make people want him more" is an insane person dating tactic - not a way to negotiate to maximize a return on a trade

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Watson is definitely in the top 5 to top 8 of  QBs. I go Mahomes > Wilson > Rodgers > Brady > Watson

I have Wilson after Watson, but I understand why some wouldn't. Russ doesn't have that athletic ability that he used to, but he's still great.

But I think the 1 for 1 trade is a bit more nuanced than just saying who’s better. Take Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. Two good young QBs. I put Watson over both. But if I’m those teams, I wouldn’t make that trade. You need strong arm QBs to play in Cleveland and Buffalo. 

I actually have somehow turned into a Baker apologist. That said, I'd trade Baker 1 for 1 for Watson. I wouldn't give up much additional, but I'd make it 1 to 1. Ironically, Baker is also actually 5 months older than Watson as well.

Just my opinion of course. This logic doesn’t apply to Herbert and Murray. But I think those two teams don’t make that trade either. 

I'm actually a Kyler Murray hater and think that he's extremely overrated. It's likely they don't make that trade (Herbert), but Murray I think would be an interesting one.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How far do you have to go before you get to Watson on the QB list, not including age:

Rodgers/Mahomes

MAYBE Tom Brady

Watson/Allen

...to me, that's the list.

Throw in AGE, and you get Mahomes as about the only guy above him...and maybe there's an argument for a guy still on a rookie contract like Allen/Herbert for the sheer sake of contract/cap space.

Throw in other guys you may want to argue for, like Lamar Jackson for a few people, or the upside of a guy like Joe Burrow (unproven/injured) or the upside of Trevor Lawrence...but I'm not sure you could really argue anyone else. 

I generally agree - but it isn't 100% just "who is the better player"

It's what compensation do I have to give to make this work? It's what is the difference in salary? What is the upside of the players? There are other aspects involved that bridge that gap

Like.. if its Watson v Herbert. I'll take Watson

but if you frame it as Watson v Herbert PLUS additional pick compensation to Houston PLUS Trent Williams and a top defensive FA

I'll keep the Chargers package

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blue said:

If the Falcons fans can't handle some ribbing over the biggest blown lead in Super Bowl history, they need to grow up.

At this point, it's not ribbing. IT's so old and played out, it's trolling. And it's why the Falcons forum here is not active. 

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I don't even mind that hardline approach if they have made progress on the relationship itself. But as far as I have heard, they are not making ANY ground there. I don't see how this ends well

It's absolutely not going to end well. Football fans need to brace for Watson not playing this season - completely healthy, but sitting down for the majority of the season.

It's a war crime, holding a star player like Watson hostage like this.

4 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

This whole "making him unavailable will make people want him more" is an insane person dating tactic - not a way to negotiate to maximize a return on a trade

I sincerely wonder if you know who you're dealing with...

dkzqciyxmt2fmk0dubap.jpg

Does this look like a sane man to you?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Blue said:

Your team would trade Herbert for Watson one-for-one absolutely no questions asked if Houston lost their minds and accepted that deal.

No, they wouldn’t. Maybe if the Texans throw in a first and eat all of Watson’s contract, they would think about it. Otherwise 

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scar988 said:

It was trolling even right after it happened. 

I wouldn't even have minded it as a little one-liner jab as part of a post/response.. we do that all the time

But as a thread title, that literal doesn't have one iota to do with the falcons, its unneccesary

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blue said:

They would because Watson is a known, proven commodity and Herbert isn't. Yes, Herbert had a great rookie season and I think he's a franchise QB-but if they want to compete in a division with Patrick Mahomes, I think they would take a sure thing in his prime rather than spending years developing Herbert and hoping he continues to improve.

I don't dispute the cap space and picks are very valuable, though, and it would be a tougher decision than a place like Baltimore or Cincinnati.

If the Falcons fans can't handle some ribbing over the biggest blown lead in Super Bowl history, they need to grow up.

No one can predict the future. You may be right. Or may be Watson sustains another big injury because we lack the draft picks and money to protect him, or build a successful team around him. But I like Herbert’s upside more than I do Watson (no offense @ET80) and I think the FO believes that Herbert can go toe to toe with Mahomes with the right coaching. And so do I. 

10 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I generally agree - but it isn't 100% just "who is the better player"

It's what compensation do I have to give to make this work? It's what is the difference in salary? What is the upside of the players? There are other aspects involved that bridge that gap

Correct. That's what I was trying to infer with the end of my post, hence why I brought up Herbert's name. If you're the Chargers, you're rolling with your 22 year old Franchise QB while he's on that rookie deal. The clock is already ticking.

10 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Like.. if its Watson v Herbert. I'll take Watson

but if you frame it as Watson v Herbert PLUS additional pick compensation to Houston PLUS Trent Williams and a top defensive FA

I'll keep the Chargers package

Absolutely. So, by my count, there are roughly 5-8 teams that the sliding formula/metric of age, salary, production, and fit applies to (Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence, maybe Burrow, maybe Jackson, maybe Mayfield, maybe an older elite like Aaron Rodgers).

If I'm Houston, I'm driving the price a certain way to gauge Miami, the NYJ, Philly, ATL, or a team like Carolina that has allegedly offered an unbelievable return of position players and a premium pick or so.

Somehow trying to artificially create scarcity while activing approaching the NFL Draft is the exact opposite of what they should be doing...if anything, they should be actively creating and inflating the market for him and use it as an opportunity to create a bidding war.

24 minutes ago, scar988 said:

At this point, it's not ribbing. IT's so old and played out, it's trolling. And it's why the Falcons forum here is not active. 

No, you're just children who can't take a joke.

17 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I wouldn't even have minded it as a little one-liner jab as part of a post/response.. we do that all the time

But as a thread title, that literal doesn't have one iota to do with the falcons, its unneccesary

It emphasizes how badly the Texans are screwing up what ought to be a layup situation for them and therefore completely relevant.

22 minutes ago, Xenos said:

No, they wouldn’t. Maybe if the Texans throw in a first and eat all of Watson’s contract, they would think about it. Otherwise 

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

I thought it over some more and I have to admit I was wrong, you're right. I don't know what else Herbert could have done this year to show he's a franchise QB and I do believe nobody is trading away the No. 1 pick for Watson straight up, seems inconsistent to say Herbert would be on the block in the case.