Houston is gonna drop the ball on Watson

Blue

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I say 2 and collect your money back if he sits out and force him to fulfill the contract he signed 6 months ago and if he doesnt, then retire. No matter what you trade him for, its not going to be the value he is worth.

So your solution is to not get anything for him at all and don't have him play for you anyways? LOL

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

So your solution is to not get anything for him at all and don't have him play for you anyways? LOL

I say you stand pat and make him play for you or force him to retire while you recoup the money that was just given to him. Make him play to the terms he agreed on 6 months ago. You just dont cave to a player every single time he cries. You trade him now you are paying more for someone to not be on your team in 2021 then you are. You let him sit he pays you back the money and you get those funds to roll over in cap space in 2022 if he does. Better then paying him to play on another team to only get less value in return then him being on the team. 

48 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I see it as you have to. If you don't then the flood gates will open.

Haven't we already seen this with guys like Odell Beckham, Stephon Diggs, Antonio Brown, Carson Palmer, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss? Guys who dug their heels in and got moved?

I feel as if this has already been a scenario other teams have dealt with.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I say you stand pat and make him play for you or force him to retire while you recoup the money that was just given to him. Make him play to the terms he agreed on 6 months ago. You just dont cave to a player every single time he cries. You trade him now you are paying more for someone to not be on your team in 2021 then you are. You let him sit he pays you back the money and you get those funds to roll over in cap space in 2022 if he does. Better then paying him to play on another team to only get less value in return then him being on the team. 

So yes, get nothing for a player who doesn't play for you anyways.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think it's simpler than that - Cal McNair is a dummy. A simpleton.

First of all, hello, ET. Hope you and the family are well.

I decided to come out of the woodwork for a bit and comment on this train wreck. I never thought I’d see the day you’re talking about not being a Texans fan anymore. Then again, I never thought Texas would be frozen for a week, so I guess anything can happen. If Watson goes, there would be no more Elite Texans left, so I guess it makes sense. AverageTexanButAGreatGuy<insertnumberhere> doesn’t have the same ring to it. Then again, you got ahead of that long ago by just going with the initials.

I think what you said above must be true. I can’t believe how bad it has gotten. Hate to see it.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Haven't we already seen this with guys like Odell Beckham, Stephon Diggs, Antonio Brown, Carson Palmer, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss? Guys who dug their heels in and got moved?

I feel as if this has already been a scenario other teams have dealt with.

I believe this situation is unprecedented.  WRs are viewed as less valuable then QBs.

Palmer was 32 at the time of the trade and the Bengals had just drafted Dalton.  The Texans have no options on the roster and who knows what they feel.about the QB prospects and whether they could get them.  Do they really want any Qb in this draft outside of Lawrence?  Tua, between his injury history and rookie yr is no sure thing.

I can t think of an example of a similiar situation considering QBs age and what is behind him on the roster.  

4 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I believe this situation is unprecedented.  WRs are viewed as less valuable then QBs.

Palmer was 32 at the time of the trade and the Bengals had just drafted Dalton.  The Texans have no options on the roster and who knows what they feel.about the QB prospects and whether they could get them.  Do they really want any Qb in this draft outside of Lawrence?  Tua, between his injury history and rookie yr is no sure thing.

I can t think of an example of a similiar situation considering QBs age and what is behind him on the roster.  

Bengals drafted Dalton knowing Palmer wasn't going to play for them again. But point taken.

EDIT: I guess Jay Cutler would be the closest comparison, but even with all the hype around him, he wasn't viewed in the same light as Watson I'm sure.

Edited by Blue

14 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:
6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think it's simpler than that - Cal McNair is a dummy. A simpleton.

First of all, hello, ET. Hope you and the family are well.

CHIMPO!!!! WHAT'S UP!!! Family is doing great, even after that mess from last week - hope you and yours are doing well. 

15 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

I decided to come out of the woodwork for a bit and comment on this train wreck. 

The sad part is - a little over a year ago, the Texans were slapping KC in the Divisional round to the tune of 24-0, in KC. 

Since the end of that first quarter, literally everything has gone wrong. Even when it's gone right with Bill O'Brien getting fired, it's gone wrong.

17 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Then again, you got ahead of that long ago by just going with the initials.

I'm just repping aliens, tbh.

17 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

I think what you said above must be true. I can’t believe how bad it has gotten. Hate to see it.

It's that, plus... It's this unwavering faith in a con man named Jack Easterby. Easterby has little to claim in this sport, yet is an EVP to an entire football franchise. This literally makes no sense and - despite pretty much every single Texan (past and present) going off on Easterby, Cal refuses to think that Jackie boy is the problem.

You can't fix that - even if Easterby is fired, it isn't like Cal is leaving. He's here until he's dead or he sells...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

CHIMPO!!!! WHAT'S UP!!! Family is doing great, even after that mess from last week - hope you and yours are doing well. 

The sad part is - a little over a year ago, the Texans were slapping KC in the Divisional round to the tune of 24-0, in KC. 

Since the end of that first quarter, literally everything has gone wrong. Even when it's gone right with Bill O'Brien getting fired, it's gone wrong.

I'm just repping aliens, tbh.

It's that, plus... It's this unwavering faith in a con man named Jack Easterby. Easterby has little to claim in this sport, yet is an EVP to an entire football franchise. This literally makes no sense and - despite pretty much every single Texan (past and present) going off on Easterby, Cal refuses to think that Jackie boy is the problem.

You can't fix that - even if Easterby is fired, it isn't like Cal is leaving. He's here until he's dead or he sells...

Glad to hear it! We’re all good here. I had forgotten about that game. It feels like a lifetime ago. I didn’t know much about Easterby until I started reading the forum here and there lately, but that guy having that kind of power makes no sense to me. And I thought the Jerry and the Joneses were bad...

• Like 1

There is no comparison for the Watson situation.  If Watson holds out, it will be a PR nightmare, many many times worse then any hold out you've seen. 

QBs get to pick the destination.  Wentz picked Indy over Chicago, Chicago removed their offer, Indy decided to drop the offer since they were last standing. 

With a NTC, Watson must have given a list (short list), whether it's only Miami or not. No team, not on the list will make an offer.  If your a team on the short list, you will want to reach out to the Watson camp for confirmation of interest, and one you get it, you can proceed to reduce your offer to Houston.  Hence the stand off can continue.