2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Backup Quarterback

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the backup QB spot?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the backup QB spot?

• Re-sign Sean Mannion
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new backup QB
    • Promote from within (Browning or Stanley)
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

Having covered the starting positions with departing free agents, we're moving onto a deeper dive in improving some holes on the team with other departing free agents, starting with the backup QB position.

2020 depth at the position:  Sean Mannion, Jake Browning, Nate Stanley (Kirk Cousins is the starter, of course)

2021 Outgoing Free Agents: Sean Mannion

Potential Free Agents Available: Jacoby Brissett, Mitchell Trubisky, AJ McCarron, CJ Beathard, Brett Hundley

Potential Draftees:  Mac Jones, Jamie Newman, Sam Ehlinger, Davis Mills, K.J. Costello

Now we know that there isn't a lot of money to spend in the free agent market, but what should the Vikings do to improve this position or maybe find a potential future starter?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I’d like to see the Vikings draft someone with legit ability to develop into a starter. 

I honestly don’t care if the team brings back Mannion. If he and Cousins have a great working relationship, and it helps get the best version of Cousins they can get, no problem. 

But I’d definitely like to get a worthwhile rookie in that QB room, so in the event that Cousins does go down, they can put in the rookie instead of Mannion. 

• Like 2

CJ Beathard I would be down with if he is cheap enough.  He has some upside and ability, and I like him more than Mannion.  Still wish we would have kept Sloter but clearly they did not like how he prepared.  Stanley has some potential but hard not to be better than Browning who has a weak arm. 

Still if Trey Lance falls to the 14th pick, would be very damn hard not to take him I feel.  Could sit him two years, then have your future starter who had time to learn.  Doubt he gets past Carolina anyway or 49ers for that matter.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still if Trey Lance falls to the 14th pick, would be very damn hard not to take him I feel.  Could sit him two years, then have your future starter who had time to learn.  Doubt he gets past Carolina anyway or 49ers for that matter.  

Which is part of the reason why I didn't list him. I wouldn't pass on him if he were available, because the likelihood is that the Vikings aren't going to be as high in the next 2 years as they are this year, so they should take advantage of it, even if they have other more pressing needs.

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Which is part of the reason why I didn't list him. I wouldn't pass on him if he were available, because the likelihood is that the Vikings aren't going to be as high in the next 2 years as they are this year, so they should take advantage of it, even if they have other more pressing needs.

Yeah I agree, if he slides for whatever reason they should take him and run.  Could make the case for Mac Jones as well but he does not have as much upside as Lance does arguably and is not as athletic and is not a local kid like Lance is.  Mac Jones is ready to play this year or next, Trey Lance might not be so again would be perfect for the Vikings but is not realistic true.  

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I really want them to draft Kellen Mond in the 4th or 5th.

I expect him to be gone by the 3rd or 4th for sure.  Maybe Vikings could sneak and get him.

Really though they should start talking with the Chicago Bears.  Would be odd but Mac Jones could be trade bait to get out of that 14th pick if the Bears think that the Patriots will be getting Mac Jones.  I think Mac would be great for the Patriots and if the Bears need a QB which they do, Mitchell is probably out and most all the other good QBs are signed already unless they get Dak and everyone knows that is not happening.

So if the Bears really want a QB and like Mac Jones, Vikings could no doubt trade that 14th pick to keep the Patriots from getting him and the Bears go after him.  One of the few players I could see that could allow the Vikings to trade that pick.  Maybe the Bears go after Fitzpatrick or Brissett but I doubt it, also maybe they are interested in Kyle Trask which could make sense at 20 maybe or trade up in the 2nd to get Trask.  I have the Bears getting Mond though actually in the 2nd.

We certainly have enough picks in the third and fourth round to select a QB, but color me unexcited by the John David Booty and Chad May’s of the world. 

There’s so little difference in the AV of QBs selected after the 2nd round (3-UDFA), I’d rather just swing for the fences with a lower asset and address the many holes on the roster with those higher valued picks. 

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

CJ Beathard I would be down with if he is cheap enough.  He has some upside and ability, and I like him more than Mannion.  Still wish we would have kept Sloter but clearly they did not like how he prepared.  Stanley has some potential but hard not to be better than Browning who has a weak arm. 

I doubt Spielman or Zimmer will still be around if the team doesn't improve I don't think they can draft a guaranteed backup QB.

Cousins has never really been injured in the pros.  The law of averages would suggest that he might be overdue to missing time because of injury.  Do I want Mannion to be the next guy up? NO.  If the other qbs under contract aren't ready to beat out Mannion, I say go for a free agent.  To me the only one I'd be interested in is Jacoby Brissett.