Does Shenault take a step forward in 2021?

pwny

The question comes based on this tweet.

Shenault forced 22 missed tackles last year, which led all rookies. Urban Meyer, in college at least, has always had a knack for maximizing the value of players in molds similar to that of Shenault; maybe not guys with prototypical abilities, but with specific skills that can be maximized in non-traditional ways.

Does this trend continue with Urban linking up with Shenault? Are we talking about Shenault as a premier playmaker after next season?

• Like 2

I certainly hope so. I think coming in, it was pretty expected that he was pretty raw/unpolished as a receiver. And that he was probably going to have to make most of his early impact in more of a gadgety “designed touches” sort of niche. 

With Urban coming in, I think it’s reasonable to suspect that we may well see an expansion of use for that sort of role and those sort of schemed opportunities.

There should also be some expected progress when it comes to refinement and better understanding his role as a more conventional receiver at the pro level as well. 

Put those two elements together, with the raw talent and ability Shenault flashes, and I do think he’s a solid candidate for a “breakout” type season. 

34 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've been re-watching all of the 2020 season games.  Most of them are not all that much fun, but Laviska is one of the good parts.  He's exciting to watch when he has the ball in his hands.  He just doesn't want to go down!

My favorite picture of the 2020 season:

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I think he will have a big year in 2021. Same with Chark. I think Chark suffered the most out of anyone from the incompetent QB play this past season.

I was just watching the game against the Chargers over the weekend and was kind of disappointed in Chark.  He didn't seem like he was putting out 100% effort on quite a few plays.  I know Minshew isn't Trevor Lawrence, but I've sure seen worse QB play than what he was giving us last year.  I hope Chark doesn't turn out to be a too much of a diva.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I was just watching the game against the Chargers over the weekend and was kind of disappointed in Chark.  He didn't seem like he was putting out 100% effort on quite a few plays.  I know Minshew isn't Trevor Lawrence, but I've sure seen worse QB play than what he was giving us last year.  I hope Chark doesn't turn out to be a too much of a diva.

He won’t be imo.

This summed up his 2020 season. 

36 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He was the leader of the tank. I will always root for him but I agree. Personally, I would like for somehow Alex Smith to be the backup. Has ties to Urban/Baalke and would be a great mentor to Trevor.

Alex is a classy man.  We could certainly do a lot worse.  My hope is that Minshew accepts the backup role and stays with the team for many years, but if not, Alex would be great.  Another guy I'm kind of a fan of (even though he probably isn't a very good player) is Josh Rosen.  I just loved the way he handled the situation in Arizona when they shipped him out a year after drafting him high in the first round.  It's hard not to cheer for guys like that.  When it comes to being an experienced mentor, though, Alex Smith would be awesome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I hope we get rid of Glennon next year.  The guy is terrible. 

Glennon looked significantly better than I thought he would tbh. He was way better than Luton at least. Feel like you can do worse as a backup, though I agree I don't want him to be ours.

No thanks on Rosen too, though. I think he's in the best spot he can be in right now.