Titans 2020 first-round pick OT Isaiah Wilson quits?

Blackstar12

On 2/22/2021 at 10:51 PM, CKSteeler said:

If I were the Titans I'd hold onto his contract just out of spite, unless I desperately needed the cap space.

Cutting him actually costs more cap space than keeping him for now, which is probably why he hasn't been cut already.  Still a chance to offload him to someone else, or that he fails a physical and saves them some of the guaranteed money.  With it being the offseason, there's no reason to cut him right now.  And yeah, the Titans are tryng to make cap space right now.

18 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I knew this dude was an idiot when he tried to jump off a second story balcony.

Actually I don’t remember if that was before or after him doing donuts in an intersection of a busy city

That was before.  For non-Titans fans, here's a history of his antics off the field:

1. Was caught at an illegal party at TSU during the first shutdown.  When police showed up to break up the party, he almost jumped out the second story window.

2. Crashed his car doing donuts at the intersection of Charlotte and 23rd, which is one of the main streets in downtown Nashville.  He admitted immediately to drinking multiple margaritas.

3. Around New Year's, posted a video on his Twitter of him partying with what looked to be women of ill repute, again violating covid protocols.

4. Was suspended around the same time for an unspecified violation of team rules.

5. As has been said before, he's been on the covid list multiple times, seemingly for not observing the distancing guidelines set by the team.

6. Lastly, reportedly showed up late, out of shape, or not at all to team practices, repeatedly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, offbyone said:

This guy is absurdly immature, but I think he will get another shot at it.  He may have danced on it, but he hasn't crossed the line yet.

The dude drunkenly danced on the line and fell off right into oncoming traffic.  I don't think I'd take him on my team. Also, the dude was never really that good in college to be honest. His tape consisted of him mauling people in the run blocking department, but he was terrible in pass protection and is now clearly getting sloppy in the NFL. These are the kinds of idiots that don't learn.

If I were the Titans, I'd keep him as long as I could to rot away on the Covid list. Don't give this turd what he wants. Make him suffer.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:42 AM, Daniel said:

Cutting him actually costs more cap space than keeping him for now, which is probably why he hasn't been cut already.  Still a chance to offload him to someone else, or that he fails a physical and saves them some of the guaranteed money.  With it being the offseason, there's no reason to cut him right now.  And yeah, the Titans are tryng to make cap space right now.

So if the guy says he's done or retiring,  wouldn't the Titans be able to recoop the adjusted portion left from his signing bonus/guaranteed money left on his deal? At worst give him a conduct detrimental designation to stop any further money due? Surely there's some clause in the new CBA protecting Clubs from situations like this?

23 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So if the guy says he's done or retiring,  wouldn't the Titans be able to recoop the adjusted portion left from his signing bonus/guaranteed money left on his deal? At worst give him a conduct detrimental designation to stop any further money due? Surely there's some clause in the new CBA protecting Clubs from situations like this?

IIRC, if he fails a physical or quits (retires), he would forfeit a portion of that guaranteed money.  Beyond that, I don't know the CBA language or the terms of his specific contract to be able to answer that.  I would imagine that anything akin to that that protects the team contractually would be showing bad faith (which is always very difficult) or the NFL doling out some kind of punishment to him.

But @SwAg is a lawyer who knows more about contracts than me, so he might know more about that kind of thing.

But, from my reading of the CBA termination terms (Section 9 of the CBA), the only way to recoup money is if he retires, doesn't show up for training camp, gets arrested, or they can show a material breach (which per their terms is very difficult).  There's a provision that allows teams to write in ways to void the guaranteed money, but that is reserved for the specific contracts that teams enter into with the players, and those aren't available to the general public.

EDIT: Or have him fail a drug test for PEDs.

TLDR: the Titans probably need to retire or fail a physical to recoup any money.  Otherwise, better hope for a trade.

Edited by Daniel