Jump to content

The backup situation


Recommended Posts

What do ya'll think? Here are some thoughts about JB, and about fans opinions I have read all over the internet....

Saying JB is not a starting QB in the NFL, is the same as saying there are 32 starting QB's currently better than him. I personally feel that is false. I would put him somewhere in the 26-28th range. Obviously he was not good enough for the Colts, and that is why both Rivers and Wentz were brought in. 

I don't know if a team will sign him as a starter pre-season. However, if he waits, there will likely be an injury vacancy during the season that he could cash in on. He has proven admirably that he can come in last minute, and at the least...keep a team at 500 ball. That is worth a lot more than the Colts would offer him to be a backup. 

However, the notion being floated by some that the team should let JB go and elevate Eason to be the clear #2 baffles me. A starter who is going to finding his way in the NFL again, has had some injuries, being backed up by a guy who has never thrown an NFL pass? I guess never say never.....but, let's just say.....I have my doubts. Would he give a home team discount because he has already been paid? I don't know. I try to not give opinion on another person's finances and their decisions therein. 

So who can the Colts afford to sign, if JB is not going to be the guy?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of “these people” wanted Chad Kelly to be the starter last year and some have been pining for Eason to be the starter this year. Every opinion to be had can be found on Twitter. 

I believe based on what Ballard has already said that the Colts will likely sign someone to compete with Eason for the backup job. I’ve even heard Nate Sudfeld mentioned because he was also in Philly with Reich/Wentz. There was no preseason last year so there was no chance to see what Eason could do in game situations. Ballard made some complimentary comments in regards to Eason but wasn’t even willing to call him the number 2 QB yet. 

Brissett won’t be back, he’ll be looking for a starting job or a backup job that pays closer to $10-15 million/year range. We’re not paying that for a backup.

Looking at a list of free agent QBs there are guys like AJ Mccarron, Colt McCoy, both of the backups from San Fran (Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard) and Sudfeld. Plenty of options depends on who the staff likes and can get in the building 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 11:51 PM, Warhorse said:

What do ya'll think? Here are some thoughts about JB, and about fans opinions I have read all over the internet....

Saying JB is not a starting QB in the NFL, is the same as saying there are 32 starting QB's currently better than him. I personally feel that is false. I would put him somewhere in the 26-28th range. Obviously he was not good enough for the Colts, and that is why both Rivers and Wentz were brought in. 

I don't necessarily agree with this statement since "better" is a relative term.  I do think 32 teams in the NFL think they have a better option at QB based on their long term goals, or a better QB at running or a better QB at throwing downfield.  I think JB's chances at trying to move to a starting QB position were lost in the 2019 season.  He just, IMO, proved he is a good backup that would be safe for a few games but nothing more.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:51 PM, Warhorse said:

I don't know if a team will sign him as a starter pre-season. However, if he waits, there will likely be an injury vacancy during the season that he could cash in on. He has proven admirably that he can come in last minute, and at the least...keep a team at 500 ball. That is worth a lot more than the Colts would offer him to be a backup. 

However, the notion being floated by some that the team should let JB go and elevate Eason to be the clear #2 baffles me. A starter who is going to finding his way in the NFL again, has had some injuries, being backed up by a guy who has never thrown an NFL pass? I guess never say never.....but, let's just say.....I have my doubts. Would he give a home team discount because he has already been paid? I don't know. I try to not give opinion on another person's finances and their decisions therein. 

Teams do this all the time.  And quite frankly a person can never throw and NFL pass until they throw and NFL pass.  So, I don't think that is a viable reason to NOT consider him for a back-up QB role.  And very little of what the coaches use for evaluations, especially the backup players, is game film.  They use practice film, how they are in the film room, how well they do on the game plan tests, etc.

I'm don't know if Eason is ready to be the #2 QB but if the Colts go that route, I will trust their evaluation.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:51 PM, Warhorse said:

So who can the Colts afford to sign, if JB is not going to be the guy?

There are a lot of backup QBs out there that should be affordable.  Fitzpatrick, McCarron, Dalton Sudfeld, Gabbert, Bortels, Bethard, Mullens.  The Colts could also plan on Eason as the #2 and then taking a chance on someone like Book or Buechele in rounds 6 or 7 as the #3

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...