Should Mike McCarthy be held responsible for the annual cycle of injuries that routinely debilitate Packer teams?

Howler

Should Mike McCarthy be held responsible for the annual cycle of injuries that routinely debilitate Packer teams?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mike McCarthy be held responsible for the annual cycle of injuries that routinely debilitate Packer teams?

• Yes, absolutely. His staff is paid to prepare the players for a 16 game schedule.
    • No. There are too many variables at play.
    • Tough to say either way

If anything we should be commending him for attaining the amount of success we have had constantly being dealt bad hands in the injury department.

It also doesn't help we have to play on some of the worst surfaces (Soldier & Lambeau in the winter).

There is really no answer here, it basically just amounts up to bad luck. You can't stop the most important injuries we have had. (Rodgers twice, Finley, Collins)

Bone breaks no of course not. But this team does seem to have a lot of soft tissue or muscle injuries and hamstrings. I wonder if there is something wrong with the conditioning.

Though I have seen some people think our playing surface leads to more injuries.

Nope.  

Blame it more on the CBA not allowing contact in practices.

Look at it this way...you are a sprinter trying to win a Gold Medal in the Olympics against every other sprinter out there in the world.

And for training?  You can't run.  You can walk, but you cannot run.  You can strength train, but you cannot run.  You can visualize, but you cannot run.

What happens when you get out of the blocks?  The body isn't used to it and it breaks down.  It has to.  Too much force on joints that aren't used to it.  Something has to give.

This isn't a GB problem, it is an NFL problem.

And I don't think it is all that big of a problem, injuries are part of the game and setup to happen to every team.  What needs to happen is roster expansion so that you do not rush guys back and so that you can a chance to finish a game and be competitive when injuries hit.  Both gameday and overall roster expansion.

1 hour ago, gizmo2012 said:

Is it me or did Bak get really fat thsi offseason. When I saw him sittign ont eh bench rubbing his leg he looke dfat.

Thank you for your typing errors, I don't feel as bad now.  LOL!  Who's in charge of conditioning?  That's where I would be looking for answers.

A ton of injuries every couple years ok but its every dang year with this team. Sure there will be injuries like Rogers that you cant help but how many soft tissue injuries have we had? And no, not just one hamstring. There have been several already and every year we seem to have 5-10 total. Dang, what gives? I've heard others here say other teams have their share but we have ours every year!!! 

We do have a fair amount of talent to still compete with all the guys hurt but we'll see for sure now that Rogers is out. He might have been the great equalizer.

Maybe we are just drafting smaller, slower (good football players) who cant hold up.

I was waiting for this thread today surprised it took so long. I'm unsure how strength and conditioning helps a concussion or a torn ligament but maybe someone can help me understand. I mean how is MM or TT responsible for AR's hit, Finley's hit, Rollins ankle, King's concussion etc etc.

These things happen and as noted happen to every team.It sucks just sucks but injuries are just part of the game. They suck when it hurts our best player but it's happened to other teams. Brees, Brady, Luck to name a few who've had significant injuries.

On 10/16/2017 at 3:30 PM, PACKRULE said:

I was waiting for this thread today surprised it took so long. I'm unsure how strength and conditioning helps a concussion or a torn ligament but maybe someone can help me understand. I mean how is MM or TT responsible for AR's hit, Finley's hit, Rollins ankle, King's concussion etc etc.

These things happen and as noted happen to every team.It sucks just sucks but injuries are just part of the game. They suck when it hurts our best player but it's happened to other teams. Brees, Brady, Luck to name a few who've had significant injuries.

They aren't. But I understand the logic of thinking there has to be something to blame. Afaik we've shaken stuff up there and it still happens. The sad part is, yeah there's been lots of injuries but something clearly nothing to do with it spawned this thread. Just like we were being considered the class of the NFC when healthy to OMG TT SUCKS. 

the most fa active he's ever been. We aren't good. I wanna be a clown and pretend fas screwed this team up because that's the same logic they use. But I'm above that crap.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:53 PM, MantyWrestler said:

A ton of injuries every couple years ok but its every dang year with this team. Sure there will be injuries like Rogers that you cant help but how many soft tissue injuries have we had? And no, not just one hamstring. There have been several already and every year we seem to have 5-10 total. Dang, what gives? I've heard others here say other teams have their share but we have ours every year!!! 

We do have a fair amount of talent to still compete with all the guys hurt but we'll see for sure now that Rogers is out. He might have been the great equalizer.

Maybe we are just drafting smaller, slower (good football players) who cant hold up.

That's fair too. Outside of Rodgers we've lost no real key guys. Obviously it's like okay it's Aaron. And minor injuries could be an indictment don't get me wrong. I can't put my finger on this damn one. It's just so hard to know if s and c causes the crap ya know?

On 10/16/2017 at 2:33 PM, jleisher said:

Thank you for your typing errors, I don't feel as bad now.  LOL!  Who's in charge of conditioning?  That's where I would be looking for answers.

McCarthy and look how fat he is! Haha

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think you have to look at the injuries that are unavoidable (i.e. Rodgers' collarbone, King's concussion, etc.) and ones that are (Bakh's hammies, etc.).  Has anyone made a list of those?

I don't think you can make an argument with a straight face that Bakhtiari's hamstring is avoidable.

As for the soft tissue injuries, there are some things in strength training, and conditioning that can have an potential influence on reducing the relative risk of some types of muscle strains and joint sprains/ligament tears.

My hope would be that the top level GB medical and athletic training staff/strength and conditioning staff would be up to speed on the latest in that regard.  Whether they are or not is something that I cannot speak to.  

Emphasis on proprioceptive exercises with pertubations in multiple planes of movement.  Variation in loads, speeds, expected vs unexpected movements.  Training in inefficient situations that expand the neuro-muscular-skeletal systems ability to be able to potentially adapt in situations that might occur in a sporting event.    

Yup....I went down that road...sorry

Archived