NFL to have 3 game preseason, 17 game regular season for 2021

biggie.

If they actually just added a 2nd bye week, they'd get the same result of an extra TV week.   It wouldn't get them an extra game of local gate - but the on-site ticket revenue is only about 15 percent of the income stream now (and stadium/concessions add another 10, so let's say 25%), while TV revenue is now estimated at close to 60 percent (up from 50 percent in 2015).   So we all know this isn't about safety, it's about extra revenue - increasing BOTH gate & TV revenue.   An extra bye week would drop 1 preseason game, but gain 1 week of regular-season TV money.    But this solution adds on both ends (as gate & concession usually higher locally for reg season games), albeit at the expense of more wear & tear and risk to players (since starters rarely play more than 1-2 halves nowadays in preseason).

The NFLPA is so bad that they didn't have a clause that kept the schedule at 16 games, so this could be negotiated.   Getting an extra cheque for 1/16 of annual salary doesn't represent the additional risk (and it's just the base salary that gets the bump, not the extra roster / signing bonus etc.).  SMH @ their total ineffectual status as a player group.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If they actually just added a 2nd bye week, they'd get the same result of an extra TV week.   It wouldn't get them an extra game of local gate - but the on-site ticket revenue is only about 15 percent of the income stream now (and stadium/concessions add another 10, so let's say 25%), while TV revenue is now estimated at close to 60 percent (up from 50 percent in 2015).   So we all know this isn't about safety, it's about extra revenue - increasing BOTH gate & TV revenue.   An extra bye week would drop 1 preseason game, but gain 1 week of regular-season TV money.    But this solution adds on both ends (as gate & concession usually higher locally for reg season games), albeit at the expense of more wear & tear and risk to players (since starters rarely play more than 1-2 halves nowadays in preseason).

The NFLPA is so bad that they didn't have a clause that kept the schedule at 16 games, so this could be negotiated.   Getting an extra cheque for 1/16 of annual salary doesn't represent the additional risk (and it's just the base salary that gets the bump, not the extra roster / signing bonus etc.).  SMH @ their total ineffectual status as a player group.

Hot take, they should do both. Give us a 19-week regular season. 2 bye weeks per team.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Hot take, they should do both. Give us a 19-week regular season. 2 bye weeks per team.

I think the ownership endgame is now 18-game, 2 bye week, 20-game regular season and 7-team playoffs.   With a 2-week preseason and scrapping the Pro Bowl game.  

Now that 17 games is here, the NFLPA isn’t getting that 2nd bye week without an 18th game.   Where the bye week should have been the first solution except the NFLPA didn’t get the regular season locked in at 16 games in the last CBA renegotiation - that happened last year.   SMH at Demaurice Smith and co. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

Someone with a financial background help me out.

Does this mean game day checks are smaller? I assume preseason and regular season games are different in terms of pay. How does this effect current contracts? Bonuses? Incentives? 

Outside of the financial for the player, one of the big changes that is going to piss me off is how records are out the door now. "But he had one extra game to do it!" is about to become common verbiage round these parts. We are gonna have to go NBA style and avg stats per game more often. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Someone with a financial background help me out.

Does this mean game day checks are smaller? I assume preseason and regular season games are different in terms of pay. How does this effect current contracts? Bonuses? Incentives? 

Outside of the financial for the player, one of the big changes that is going to piss me off is how records are out the door now. "But he had one extra game to do it!" is about to become common verbiage round these parts. We are gonna have to go NBA style and avg stats per game more often. 

Game Day checks were already spread over 17 weeks. Preseason game checks weren't going to be anything more than the Per Diem they already are. They will likely be spread over 18 weeks now in terms of salary, but the salaries should see a bump. 17 games is being done to increase the cap too. So expect the cap to be closer to 191-195M than the 180 cap floor shown.