NFL to have 3 game preseason, 17 game regular season for 2021

biggie.

33 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:
  • 5k passing will become the new 4k passing
  • 20 sacks will become the new 15 sacks
  • Someone will come close to 2k receiving yards in the next 5 years

I mean I hate having an extra game to make it 17 as much as anyone else, but you really think one more game is going to change the 'elite standard' by 1,000 passing yards and 5 more sacks?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I mean I hate having an extra game to make it 17 as much as anyone else, but you really think one more game is going to change the 'elite standard' by 1,000 passing yards and 5 more sacks?

- Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, and Tom Brady all would have reached 5k this year if there was an extra game, hell Dak Prescott would have had it too had he not gotten injured without the 17th game

- in 2019, Shaq Barrett had 19.5 sacks and Chandler Jones had 19 in 16 games. Both easily could have gone had 20 in a 17 game season.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

So we have 17 games and 7 playoff seeds... whats next participation ribbons? This is turning out to be a NBA and MLB type season. It is going to be watered down instead of resting players week 17 they will do it week 18 and they could essentially ease players in to week 1 without having to start everyone right away. Not a fan of this money hungry move by Goodell and owners. They clearly are doing this to make more revenue off the tv rights

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If they actually just added a 2nd bye week, they'd get the same result of an extra TV week.   It wouldn't get them an extra game of local gate - but the on-site ticket revenue is only about 15 percent of the income stream now (and stadium/concessions add another 10, so let's say 25%), while TV revenue is now estimated at close to 60 percent (up from 50 percent in 2015).   So we all know this isn't about safety, it's about extra revenue - increasing BOTH gate & TV revenue.   An extra bye week would drop 1 preseason game, but gain 1 week of regular-season TV money.    But this solution adds on both ends (as gate & concession usually higher locally for reg season games), albeit at the expense of more wear & tear and risk to players (since starters rarely play more than 1-2 halves nowadays in preseason).

The NFLPA is so bad that they didn't have a clause that kept the schedule at 16 games, so this could be negotiated.   Getting an extra cheque for 1/16 of annual salary doesn't represent the additional risk (and it's just the base salary that gets the bump, not the extra roster / signing bonus etc.).  SMH @ their total ineffectual status as a player group.

The Office Reaction GIF

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

The extra game coupled with the general inflation of stats as it is might do it 

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I'm just curious about how many of you want to go back to 12 game seasons for player safety?

The Bucs played 20 games this year, did they all get hurt?

This is a pretty myopic outlook. Physical health is not all about immediate injuries. Long term health is more the concern with this move. A player who played every year at 17 games and retires at age 35 has played almost a full season more than someone who did that just this season. It could shorten careers. Hopefully the boon in cheddar will trickle down to the players so I am not too worried about earning potential. 

• Like 1