2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Swing Tackle

How should the Vikings handle the swing OT spot?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the swing OT spot?

• Re-sign Rashod Hill
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new swing OT in the late rounds
    • Promote from within (Udoh or Brandel)
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

Having covered the starting positions with departing free agents, we're moving onto a deeper dive in improving some holes on the team with other departing free agents.  Now moving onto the swing tackle position

2020 depth at the position:  Rashod Hill, Oli Udoh, Blake Brandel (Riley Reiff and Brian O'Neill are the starters, of course)

2021 Outgoing Free Agents: Rashod Hill

Potential Free Agents Available: Roderick Johnson, Julien Davenport, David Sharpe, Jerald Hawkins

Potential Draftees:  Robert Hainsey, James Hudson, Cordell Volson, Josh Ball, Jaylon Moore

Now we know that there isn't a lot of money to spend in the free agent market, but what should the Vikings do to improve this position or maybe find a potential future starter?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I really like Rashod Hill so my preference would be to re-sign him. However, I think he tests the market and signs elsewhere looking for one decent payday. 

I liked what I've seen from Udoh in his limited action. I would've liked to have seen him at OG last year but I would feel comfortable with him man-ing the swing OT spot in 2021.

If Rashod Hill can be brought back remotely close to the same price, it’s a no brainer. But seeing as how I find that fairly unrealistic, I voted to promote Udoh. I believe they have been developing/grooming him for this role. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Promote Udoh and send a Day 3 pick to Tennessee for Isaiah Wilson. 

He played only 4 snaps as a rookie for a reason, and that was with Lewan injured so they needed someone and still did not play him.

He attended an off campus party at Tennessee University at training camp where he almost jumped off a balcony to escape, received a trespassing warning.  Then in September he got a DUI when he lost control of his vehicle and hit a concrete wall.  Sure everyone loved how he looked at the combine, so big, powerful and athletic but fact is on Georgia he was not that good and probably was more a 2nd or better yet 3rd round pick.  Also is not exactly a zone blocking scheme fit at 6-6 350.  Would be cool sure but clearly the dude has some mental issues or just does not know how to handle life with money, oh and that tweet about the Titans that was deleted, also not the best idea in the world either.

I would not be a fan of bringing him in unless it was for a 5th or 6th rounder and even then why would the Titans do that outside of to avoid paying that contract, oh and I assume Vikings would have to pick up his pay rate as a 1st round pick at at 4 years 11.6 mil to a guy who might not even play.

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He played only 4 snaps as a rookie for a reason, and that was with Lewan injured so they needed someone and still did not play him.

He attended an off campus party at Tennessee University at training camp where he almost jumped off a balcony to escape, received a trespassing warning.  Then in September he got a DUI when he lost control of his vehicle and hit a concrete wall.  Sure everyone loved how he looked at the combine, so big, powerful and athletic but fact is on Georgia he was not that good and probably was more a 2nd or better yet 3rd round pick.  Also is not exactly a zone blocking scheme fit at 6-6 350.  Would be cool sure but clearly the dude has some mental issues or just does not know how to handle life with money, oh and that tweet about the Titans that was deleted, also not the best idea in the world either.

I would not be a fan of bringing him in unless it was for a 5th or 6th rounder and even then why would the Titans do that outside of to avoid paying that contract, oh and I assume Vikings would have to pick up his pay rate as a 1st round pick at at 4 years 11.6 mil to a guy who might not even play.

No one says there isn't risk involved. But he's almost certainly going to present higher upside than most anyone we take with a 4th, 5th or 6th round pick. If he works out, it's a steal. If he doesn't, he's an easy cut. Our OL is not good. Continuing to spend those picks on Dru Samia and Willie Beavers types isn't yielding much success.

16 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

No one says there isn't risk involved. But he's almost certainly going to present higher upside than most anyone we take with a 4th, 5th or 6th round pick. If he works out, it's a steal. If he doesn't, he's an easy cut. Our OL is not good. Continuing to spend those picks on Dru Samia and Willie Beavers types isn't yielding much success.

True but it is not like that cannot be done, the Chiefs paid Wylie $750,000 this year and he has played on the team for 3 seasons, started 35 games, played multiple positions and they got him for another teams practice squad as a UDFA.  So lower round picks can be found just clearly the Vikings do not seem to develop OL well especially if they are later round picks or UDFAs.  Oh take Remmers for example who was pretty decent for the Chiefs as a backup and played a key role for them, and on Minnesota he was awful be it at OT or OG.  

And the Vikings barely have money as it is, not sure I would want to give it to Wilson and pay out that rest of that contract.  So there is something to be lost if they sign him and pay the rest of that deal.  

Edited by Ozzy
1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Why should it present higher upside? He’s big with long arms, and slow feet. He’s shown no ability on an NFL football field, and he’s shown no desire to be on an NFL football field. I don’t see the upside.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Why should it present higher upside? He’s big with long arms, and slow feet. He’s shown no ability on an NFL football field, and he’s shown no desire to be on an NFL football field. I don’t see the upside.

Agree.  There is no real upside when a guy has railroaded his own career right out of the gate, as it shows he isn't even close to being an adult, let alone a NFL player.  It ain't worth the risk.  

Apparently the deleted tweet was due to him being upset over the organization not saying Happy Birthday on social media.  Big no thanks.

I'd like Udoh to take another step forward but not sure if he finally puts it all together if he hasn't already. 

8 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Apparently the deleted tweet was due to him being upset over the organization not saying Happy Birthday on social media.  Big no thanks.

I'd like Udoh to take another step forward but not sure if he finally puts it all together if he hasn't already. 

He must have the maturity level of a 6th grader.  

22 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He must have the maturity level of a 6th grader.  

It's pretty bad from what I've read.  Their GM said something along the lines of "He needs to sit down and evaluate whether he wants to play here."  For a GM to say something like that after a rookie year in which he had multiple off field incidents as well as not playing,   it sounds pretty dire.