Jrry32's Second Lions Mock Off-Season

jrry32

After receiving feedback on my last mock, I decided to do a mock where Kenny Golladay and Romeo Okwara walk in FA. We'll see soon if the Lions plan to tag Kenny Golladay. 

Cuts

Justin Coleman CB (Post-June 1st Designation)

Desmond Trufant CB

Nicholas Williams DT

Danny Shelton DT

Christian Jones LB

Joe Dahl OL

Jesse James TE (Post-June 1st Designation)

Restructure

DE Trey Flowers

Resignings

LB Jarrad Davis

K Matt Prater

RS Jamal Agnew

LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin

FB Jason Cabinda (ERFA)

P Jack Fox (ERFA)

OL Matt Nelson (ERFA)

HB Kerrith Whyte (ERFA)

DB Alexander Myres (ERFA)

Free Agency

Tyrell Williams WR

Williams played under Anthony Lynn with the Chargers. He's not a #1 WR, but he's a very effective deep threat and a good #2 WR. He missed the 2020 season with an injury and will be a cap casualty for the Raiders.

Brandon Graham DE

It is yet to be seen if the Eagles will cut Graham. They could make him a post-June 1st cut and save a lot of money, which could be necessary with their cap situation. Graham is a Detroit native who could return home to provide veteran presence and leadership. Plus, he's still an effective edge presence.

Emmanuel Sanders WR

Manny Sanders isn't the same player he once was, but he's still a productive #2 or #3 WR who brings leadership and the right sort of attitude to the locker room. Matt Campbell is familiar with him from his time in New Orleans. Manny's versatility and route running should make him a nice value addition.

Jourdan Lewis CB

The Lions buy low on Jourdan Lewis, who is another Detroit native. He was a special cover CB at Michigan, but that hasn't translated to the NFL. I'd like to see what Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant can do with him. He's undersized, but he has great agility, competes hard, and has natural cover skills.

Trades

Detroit Lions trade 2022 6th Round Pick

Philadelphia Eagles trade DT Javon Hargrave

The Eagles are in a sticky situation with their cap. They can't afford to cut Fletcher Cox. They also can't cut Hargrave due to his contract. But they can trade Hargrave and save some cap. Hargrave didn't have a great year in Philly, but he had a strong run in Pittsburgh as a disruptive NT. The Lions bet on him regaining his form. If not, the Lions can cut him after 2021.

Detroit Lions trade Round 5 Pick #9

Los Angeles Rams trade RT Rob Havenstein

The Lions need help at RT. The Rams need some cap relief and have some talented OLs ready to start behind Hav. In my opinion, Hav is a top 10 RT, and he'll be very reasonably priced (basically a two year $14 million deal for the Lions). Hav can struggle when left on an island with top speed rushers, but that's about his only weakness. Otherwise, he's a reliable pass protector and one of the best run blockers at his position.

Detroit Lions trade OLB Jamie Collins

New England Patriots trade 2022 7th round pick

Collins has always played well with the Patriots. The Lions send him back to Patricia and NE.

Detroit Lions trade Round 1 Pick #7 and Round 4 Pick #7

Denver Broncos trade Round 1 Pick #9, Round 3 Pick #7, and Round 6 Pick #7

The Broncos know that the Panthers are going to take a QB at #8, so they jump them to grab Trey Lance. Because of Drew Lock, they have the luxury of developing Lance.

Lions trade Round 2 Pick #9

Titans trade Round 2 Pick #21 and Round 3 Pick #36

With Corey Davis walking in FA, the Titans trade up for WR Rashod Bateman.

Lions trade Round 3 Pick #8

Vikings trade Round 3 Pick #14 and Round 5 Pick #24

The Lions trade down a few slots with the Vikings.

Lions trade Round 3 Pick #24

Jaguars trade Round 4 Pick #1 and Round 5 Pick #1

The Jaguars trade up into the third round to grab a player they want.

Lions trade Round 5 Pick #1

Ravens trade Round 5 Pick #28 and Round 5 Pick #38

The Lions trade down again to add some Day 3 picks.

NFL Draft

Round 1 Pick #9 - Devonta Smith WR Alabama

Analysis: Devonta Smith falls unexpectedly to the Lions. They pounce all over him. Yes, he has a thin frame, but he's also a sudden WR who runs exceptional routes and has the speed to run away from defenses. Smith's football IQ, polished skills, remarkable hands, and competitiveness stand out on tape. He reminds me of Marvin Harrison and is a better talent than former Alabama WR Calvin Ridley. He's a special player who has the ability to play and thrive at any WR spot.

Round 2 Pick #21 - Pete Werner LB Ohio State

Analysis: If Smith isn't available in Round 1, the Lions go Micah Parsons and take Rashod Bateman in the second round (instead of trading down). But with Smith being the pick, the Lions trade down to take my favorite Day 2 LB. Werner is a well-rounded player who does everything well. He's smart, experienced, and a good athlete at 6'3" 240. He's not a splashy guy, but he's a reliable LB who will consistently execute his assignment.

Round 3 Pick #7 - Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State

Analysis: Werner's teammate Togiai is a glue guy in the middle of the defense. He's an exceptional run stopping DT who can anchor against double teams due to his power, leverage, and low center of gravity. He can win when one on one. And he has some juice as a pass rusher due to his first step acceleration, great reaction time, and active hands. I'd like to see him develop a go-to pass rush move and see his pass rush plans develop further. He should be a consistent rock in the middle.

Round 3 Pick #14 - Paris Ford DB Pittsburgh

Analysis: Ford is very much unlike Werner and Togiai. He's not a consistent player. He's very much a splash play guy and a playmaker. Ford is incredibly physical, arguably too physical for a guy his size. He has great instincts and is quite adept at jumping routes. But he also gambles, takes bad angles, misses tackles because he's playing out of control, and gets caught with his eyes in the backfield. I am hopeful that Glenn and Pleasant can polish out the uneven parts of his game. If they do, the Lions will have an impact safety.

Round 3 Pick #36 - Jordan Smith DE UAB

Analysis: Jordan Smith is a raw piece of clay for the coaching staff to develop. At 6'6" 255 pounds, he still has a lot of growth potential on his frame. He possesses great speed off the LOS, solid length, and impressive agility for his size. He also surprises with his flexibility for such a long athlete. But his pass rush plans and his moveset need a lot of development. Right now, he's a guy who gets by with athleticism. If he gets stronger and adds to his repertoire, he could be an impact pass rusher.

Round 4 Pick #1 - Rhamondre Stevenson HB Oklahoma

Analysis: Stevenson is one of my crushes at HB. I also really like Jaret Patterson and Khalil Herbert. Stevenson is already a player capable of making an impact in the passing game. He's a stout blocker and a skilled receiver. At 5'11" 230, Stevenson's style is not what you expect. He's a patient, elusive runner with a nasty stiff arm and spin move. He'll get physical when he needs to be physical, but his style of play and skillset remind me of Le'Veon Bell. He should pair well with Swift.

Round 5 Pick #24 - Cornell Powell WR Clemson

Analysis: It's hard to get a feel for where WRs will go on Day 3 right now, but I really like Powell's game. He's a well-rounded, competitive player who broke out in 2020 with greater opportunity. He doesn't have any stand out traits, but he flashes good routes, can do damage after the catch, has enough speed that you need to respect him deep, and is a competitive blocker. I could see him developing into a starting WR down the line.

Round 5 Pick #28 - Drake Jackson OL Kentucky

Analysis: Drake Jackson is one of my favorite under-the-radar prospects in this Draft. He doesn't have the sort of body that NFL teams will covet at 6'1" 290, and he's likely a Center-only prospect (could play OG only in a pinch). But he's a tenacious competitor with a strong upper body. Defenders struggle to disengage when Jackson gets his hands on them. And he's consistently the quickest guy off the ball, often beating defenders to the punch. He also understands how to use his natural leverage. He looks like a guy who has starting potential at Center in a ZBS.

Round 5 Pick #38 - Shakur Brown CB Michigan State

Analysis: Brown is another guy not getting a lot of hype. That's because he doesn't have much starting experience and didn't break out until this year (where he picked off 5 passes in 7 games). Brown is undersized at 5'10" 190, but he's physical, has great agility, is versatile, and has exceptional ball skills. He just has great instincts when the ball is in the air. Right now, he's much better in press coverage than zone. He's a guy who needs some development, but he has the tools to be a good slot CB.

Round 6 Pick #7 - John Bates TE Boise State

Analysis: Bates is never going to be much of a passing game weapon. He's a surehanded guy who can do a little damage if the defense doesn't respect him. He has a good feel for zone coverage and some build-up speed on seam routes, but he doesn't have separation quickness or explosive acceleration. Where Bates stands out is as a blocker. He's a guy who is an ideal fit as a #2 TE to come in and move people around in the running game.

Projected Starters

QB: Jared Goff

HB: D'Andre Swift

WR: Devonta Smith

WR: Tyrell Williams

WR: Emmanuel Sanders

TE: T.J. Hockenson

LT: Taylor Decker

LG: Jonah Jackson

C; Frank Ragnow

RG: Halapoulivaati Vaitai

RT: Rob Havenstein

DE: Trey Flowers

DT: Javon Hargrave

DT: John Penisini

DE: Brandon Graham

WLB: Jarrad Davis

MLB: Pete Werner

SLB: Jahlani Tavai

CB: Jeff Okudah

CB: Amani Oruwariye

CB: Jourdan Lewis

S: Will Harris

S: Tracy Walker

K: Matt Prater

P: Jack Fox

LS: Steven Wirtel

RS: Jamal Agnew

On defense, I felt like it was worth seeing what some of the young guys could do with better coaching, so I tried to fill the holes that needed to be filled while also giving some of the unproven draft picks a chance. If they don't step up, the Lions will have a lot of work to do on defense next year. Offensively, I put a lot of resources into trying to build a good unit around Goff. The Lions are going to need to know if he has the goods or not. If he doesn't, they'll need to look for their QB in the 2022 Draft. I figure it's smart on multiple levels to build up the offense because it makes it easier to evaluate Goff and it'll be beneficial for the next QB if Goff isn't the guy. Some might disagree with drafting Devonta Smith, but I think he's a special player.

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That is a lot of trading, which seems unlikely.  I dont think you have us picking any of our own picks and some were traded twice.  I still dont particularly like our LB because Tavai is not a starter anywhere but other than that I would be relatively happy with this outcome.  

I can't say with certainty what Holmes will do, but if he's like Snead, there will be a lot of moving around on draft day. As for Tavai, with him at Sam, he wouldn't play that many snaps (especially if he doesn't improve vastly).

4 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

Werner seems way to high. Jordan smith seems to be rising but still seems 4/5.

I want to see cap situation because idk if well be able to sign really anyone. Still think we should tag and trade KG. 

Hard to project cap without knowing firmly where the NFL is setting it, but the cap is pretty fluid. If the Lions want to sign players, they can do it. And the guys I chose shouldn't break the bank. Werner might be higher than he goes, but I really like him. My concern would be waiting until the third and missing out. I'm not as high on Dylan Moses as I am Werner. On Smith, I've seen a few with him in the second and some with him in the fourth. I think the late third round is reasonable.

Lots of pre draft stuff, all of it seems realistic, but all together makes it farfetched but I'll give you a pass cause it seems in the "realm" of possibilities. 

Draft. I like Smith/Werner/Ford. Think all could step in as starters and contribute early. Don't know a ton about the other prospects but it's a collection to develop for a year or two to say the least.

I like the Williams/Sanders signigs. Williams prolly elevates to #1 but Sanders/Smith seem interchangeable on the field so they could line-up anywhere. Miss matches everywhere with these three and Hockenson. 

Tried to address the Dline, Honestly though I'm not sure it's improved at all.

Easily take Havenstein for a 5th rdp if they don't address it in FA/ Early Draft.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Lots of pre draft stuff, all of it seems realistic, but all together makes it farfetched but I'll give you a pass cause it seems in the "realm" of possibilities. 

Draft. I like Smith/Werner/Ford. Think all could step in as starters and contribute early. Don't know a ton about the other prospects but it's a collection to develop for a year or two to say the least.

I like the Williams/Sanders signigs. Williams prolly elevates to #1 but Sanders/Smith seem interchangeable on the field so they could line-up anywhere. Miss matches everywhere with these three and Hockenson. 

Tried to address the Dline, Honestly though I'm not sure it's improved at all.

Easily take Havenstein for a 5th rdp if they don't address it in FA/ Early Draft.

No guarantees it will be. Graham is a short-term solution. I think Flowers can still be a good SDE if he stays healthy. Hargrave is a risk. Dude could be the Pro Bowl caliber guy he was with the Steelers or the mediocrity he was with Philly. Hard to say. I really like Togiai. At a minimum, he's going to stop the run and bring a lot of energy as a pass rusher. But if he develops his pass rush more, he could be a good starter down the line. Good news is that if the young guys don't improve, the Lions have a bunch of resources in 2022 to throw into fixing the defense. 

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

Each pick is pretty good, and most of the moves make sense. I just think that there are way too many trades. Teams don't do that. 

The Rams do lol. In 2019, we made six trades over the course of the draft weekend (and that doesn't count the multiple players trades we made that year). If Holmes is like Snead, he'll be active on draft weekend.