Alex Smith: "They didn't want me here"

Alex spoke pretty bitterly about WFT saying they didn’t want him to return and he threw a wrench in their plans. Had no idea he felt like this and don’t anticipate him returning next season as per PFT/Josh Alper

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
24 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Alex spoke pretty bitterly about WFT saying they didn’t want him to return and he threw a wrench in their plans. Had no idea he felt like this and don’t anticipate him returning next season as per PFT/Josh Alper

Interesting- hope we get more details soon .

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Interesting- hope we get more details soon .

I just read this. To be clear , he was talking about last season 2020. He said he and his wife are still talking about his future. I hope he retires personally .

23 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I hope he retires personally .

I think almost everyone does. That’s how his football story should end — work himself all the way back, finally come into the game in front of his wife and kids, carry Aaron Donald like a Jansport, take over as the starter and will a mediocre team to a 5-1 record, deliver the team to the playoffs, and then accept the CPOY award under the loving and admiring gaze of literally everyone who cares at all about football or human beings in general. 

And then retiring and getting on with the rest of his life. In coaching, or in front office work, or in politics, or just in being a rich guy with a hot wife and beautiful kids and lots of time to spend with them.

How it should not end is with him deciding he wants to come back, choosing not to work with us on a significant reduction in pay, forcing us to release him, hitting FA, and then finding that the only people who will take him are former coaches who want him as a backup to play essentially a player-coach role behind younger/better players. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Not sure what he has to be bitter about towards the organization or what he can expect after that injury.  He was over paid and we gave up too much compensation for him.  It isn't like he rehabbed while on minimum wage.  Why on earth would he would wait until now to be bitter and leave on a negative note?   

Just shows you can't always trust in what you hear or see from inside or outside the organization.  You need to observe and make up your own mind.  I guess the other question this leaves is why is he still on the roster?

I am wondering if this changes the minds of all the bring Alex Smith back people on this forum.

Just cut him. You want to show that we’re not the same old franchise. Cut his *** now. I appreciate what he did but he sucked the year we were 6-3 and for all intents and purposes, he sucked this year as well.

The team did everything they could to support him and not wanting to see him back out there and possibly getting even more injured doesn’t mean he threw a wrench in the teams plans. They could’ve easily cut him and just ate the space last year and instead they actually stuck with him and then played him. What more does he want? 

• Like 2

Washington Football Team quarterback Alex Smith said his comeback threw a "wrench" into the team's plans and that he didn't feel wanted by the organization this past summer.

Smith, the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year, told GQ Magazine that he surprised the organization by being able to play.

"They didn't see it, didn't want me there, didn't want me to be a part of it, didn't want me to be on the team, the roster, didn't want to give me a chance," Smith told the magazine. "Mind you, it was a whole new regime, they came in; I'm like the leftovers and I'm hurt and I'm this liability.

"Heck no, they didn't want me there. At that point, as you can imagine, everything I'd been through, I couldn't have cared less about all that. Whether you like it or not, I'm giving this a go at this point."

Read More: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30952603/alex-smith-says-return-put-wrench-washington-football-team-plans

Couple things to note here: 

1.) When can we have a normal offseason?  And by normal, I mean not have our laundry aired out for all to see?  

2.) If the coaching staff didn't want Smith, who forced them to keep him on the roster?  Certainly not the coach/GM who has full control, right?  

3.) There were some reports when Smith became the starter that he performed the best in camp, if I recall correctly.  How bad has our reporter pool become if this is true?  No one was even close to getting the true feeling down.  Further on the reporter point, they all- local and national- got beat to this story by freaking GQ.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Couple things to note here: 

1.) When can we have a normal offseason?  And by normal, I mean not have our laundry aired out for all to see?  

2.) If the coaching staff didn't want Smith, who forced them to keep him on the roster?  Certainly not the coach/GM who has full control, right?  

3.) There were some reports when Smith became the starter that he performed the best in camp, if I recall correctly.  How bad has our reporter pool become if this is true?  No one was even close to getting the true feeling down.  Further on the reporter point, they all- local and national- got beat to this story by freaking GQ.  

The salary cap forced us to keep Alex unless we were willing to take a major cap hit. I said that all last offseason when some were wondering why he was even being allowed to try to play. 

I don’t think local reporters wanted to put something negative out about Alex Smith. The local reporters are good at reporting on the team, Alex is now a national story that transcends sports. It’s a life story at this point.

And of course I this put a wrench into Rivera’s plans of starting fresh and rebuilding with his guys and a young team. New regime, wanted to start fresh but had Alex’s albatross of a contract on the books thanks to Brice Allen’s stupidity. I didn’t think Alex could play again this time last year - and I’m probably his biggest defender in the forum - and even I wanted him to be made a June 1st cut last year and just have been done with it but they obviously didn’t want to take the cap hit.

Maybe Dan Snyder made Rivera keep Alex for good publicity or maybe Alex just showed enough to Ron that he could play with the brace on his leg and be effective, and Alex did show that bc from what I remember Rivera was telling the press how good Alex looked at practice in August and the beat reporters were saying the same thing.

I can’t be on Alex’s side about the PUP list, he like Reuben Foster weren’t ready to practice. I get that he didn’t want to be put on PUP for the first 6 weeks of the season but he should’ve been as should’ve Reuben Foster.

You also have to think about if Alex broke his leg again Rivera would be blamed for playing him just like Shanahan is blamed for playing RG3 w/ his knee injury in the 2013 playoffs.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

who cares he sucks no one wants alex smith

feel good story but he isnt our future should just be happy he was on the team....and he was on a leg and a half towards the end of the season

I care, and it should matter to you.  Reports in the past were that Snyder would get involved and make "suggestions" such as "Do you like Albert Haynesworth?  We can get Albert Haynesworth."  

So when Rivera was in a press conference saying that Snyder "suggested" we hire both Hurney and Mayhew to the front office, alarms immediately started going off in my head.  

Now, Alex Smith does an interview with GQ (not any of our local or national media) and says that he felt he wasn't wanted by the coaching staff?  I want to know who made the Rivera, who is supposed to have full control, keep the guy.  Because if it was Snyder, then he's back to meddling and it's no longer worth the effort in trying to follow this team anymore.  

• Like 2