What rating would you give Brady out of 99 for this past season?

mdonnelly21

Pro Football Focus ranked Brady as the second best qb in the regular season so I am not understanding why some are ranking Josh Allen or Russell Wilson ahead of Brady. He soundly outplayed both of them. 

I'll give Brady a 95 overall for regular and postseason.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:07 PM, raffy15 said:

Pro Football Focus ranked Brady as the second best qb in the regular season so I am not understanding why some are ranking Josh Allen or Russell Wilson ahead of Brady. He soundly outplayed both of them. 

Because people here hate PFF and generally go with the opposite of what they say.

Bit dogmatic, but there it is...

40 TDs 12 INTs 4600 yards.  That is second in TDs, sixth most INTs, third in yards.  We are in a pass happy era.  TDs are up, and INTs are down.  The league leader in INTs only had 15 this season.  Brady was also second in pass attempts.  Given the pass happy era, are we to believe that 2020 Tom Brady was better than 1995 Brett Favre? All the stats are better.  I just don't buy that though.  

It was a very good season.  I don't think it was historic.  It was certainly well above average.  But if this were a historic season, then Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Kirk Cousins all had historic seasons in 2020 too.  Again, I don't buy that. 

If average is 70, and WOW AWESOME is above 90, this was probably 85.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'm not a big Favre fan. More dynamic than Brady but not a better quarterback. I feel like you guys don't evaluate quarterbacks but look at passers. There is a lot that goes into playing quarterback beyond the throw leaving the quarterbacks hand to catch point.

I think his weapons are good. Evans is good, not great. Godwin is good, not great. Gronkowski is an above average tight end at this point and little more. Brady's unreal accuracy short, medium, and deep and ability to read defenses pre and post snap lifted this team far beyond what they actually are. The Bucs are good, Brady is great.

1 minute ago, raffy15 said:

I'm not a big Favre fan. More dynamic than Brady but not a better quarterback. I feel like you guys don't evaluate quarterbacks but look at passers. There is a lot that goes into playing quarterback beyond the throw leaving the quarterbacks hand to catch point.

I think his weapons are good. Evans is good, not great. Godwin is good, not great. Brown is better than those two but he missed a lot of time and Brady was great without him during that period. Gronkowski is an above average tight end at this point and little more. Brady's unreal accuracy short, medium, and deep and ability to read defenses pre and post snap lifted this team far beyond what they actually are. The Bucs are good, Brady is great.

Edited by raffy15

On 3/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, raffy15 said:

Josh Allen was significantly better than Brady this year.  Allen was in the Mahomes/Rodgers tier this year while Brady was an afterthought after the big 3.  There is a reason Brady didn't get a single all pro vote

Edited by ASmithFan1010

1 minute ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

Josh Allen was much much better than Brady.  Allen was in the Mahomes/Rodgers conversation at the end of week 17.  Brady was not brought up at all.  He is at best a very distant 4th.  Allen beat Mahomes in MVP votes.  

Allen was the beneficiary of many more play action pass attempts, you know the types of plays that turn a league average qb essentially into Joe Montana.. His receiver targets also ranked highly in seperation meaning his guys were more open than typically seen.

Why are we taking what the talking heads are saying as some type of gospel. Maybe the "conversation" was never correct in the first place. Ever stop to think about that? MVP votes are pretty much meaningless dude and are influenced by hype.

The best quarterbacks in the regular season this year were Rodgers followed by Mahomes, then Brady, and Watson with Wilson at number five. Allen took amazing strides in his accuracy but still doesn't measure up to the best.

41 minutes ago, raffy15 said:

Allen was the beneficiary of many more play action pass attempts, you know the types of plays that turn a league average qb essentially into Joe Montana.. His receiver targets also ranked highly in seperation meaning his guys were more open than typically seen.

Why are we taking what the talking heads are saying as some type of gospel. Maybe the "conversation" was never correct in the first place. Ever stop to think about that? MVP votes are pretty much meaningless dude and are influenced by hype.

The best quarterbacks in the regular season this year were Rodgers followed by Mahomes, then Brady, and Watson with Wilson at number five. Allen took amazing strides in his accuracy but still doesn't measure up to the best.

I don't understand what metrics you use to suggest Allen was worse than Brady.  I think most people have Allen well ahead of Brady due to statistics, context, and the eye test.  I don't have access to PFF so I will need you to highlight the argument for me.  As to your post..

Play Action: This argument doesn't make sense.  You can't just judge a QB by the number of play action plays they ran.    Buffalo has a worst offensive line and worst running backs than Tampa.  Buffalo is 24th in YPG with a QB with a mobile QB who had 421 yards.  Buffalo was slightly more efficient at 4.2 Y/A compared to Tampa's 4.1.  I'd expect Buffalo would be a lot worse if they didn't have a mobile QB to make it easier to run.   With a worse running game, Buffalo STILL ran play action less than Tampa at 61.78% vs 61.71%.  <-- I misread the stat, a 61% PA rate would be insane.

Separation:  I'd need to see the stat to understand your argument.  I don't see how separation matters unless you're going to make the case that Brady had less help than Allen did.  If you want to go down this route, please let me know and we can analyze the supporting cast.  I feel like Brady had a better wideout corp, better tight-end corp, a better RB stable, and a better offensive line.  

Talking Heads: It's not gospel but it's a good tool for determining the census opinion.  The census opinion was Brady was nowhere near as good as Allen.  

Edited by ASmithFan1010

3 minutes ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

I don't understand what metrics you use to suggest Allen was worse than Brady.  I think most people have Allen well ahead of Brady due to statistics, context, and the eye test.  I don't have access to PFF so I will need you to highlight the argument for me.  As to your post..

Play Action: This argument doesn't make sense.  You can't just judge a QB by the number of play action plays they ran.    Buffalo has a worst offensive line and worst running backs than Tampa.  Buffalo is 24th in YPG with a QB with a mobile QB who had 421 yards.  Buffalo was slightly more efficient at 4.2 Y/A compared to Tampa's 4.1.  I'd expect Buffalo would be a lot worse if they didn't have a mobile QB to make it easier to run.   With a worse running game, Buffalo STILL ran play action less than Tampa at 61.78% vs 61.71%.  

Separation:  I'd need to see the stat to understand your argument.  I don't see how separation matters unless you're going to make the case that Brady had less help than Allen did.  If you want to go down this route, please let me know and we can analyze the supporting cast.  I feel like Brady had a better wideout corp, better tight-end corp, a better RB stable, and a better offensive line.  

Talking Heads: It's not gospel but it's a good tool for determining the census opinion.  The census opinion was Brady was nowhere near as good as Allen.  

I'm not using any metrics. Just using my eyes and watching film. It tells me Brady is a better "quarterback" then Allen and it isn't that close in honesty.

I can certainly judge a quarterback by how many play action attempts they ran. These plays consistently fool linebackers, and safeties and create big gaping windows in the intermediate ares of the field which is what Allen exploited. It is basically like playing quarterback with an aide if you will. Jared Goff is another quarterback who runs a lot of play action. Baker Mayfield's sudden rise this year? What do you know, a healthy dose of play action! Ryan Tannehill's rising from the ashes? Big increase in play action! See the theme? Lets give Allen some more time in the league and see him decipher defenses at a quicker pace and improve his (sub par) decision making before we start comping him to the big boys. MVP Allen? That is a funny one.

The "census opinion" was wrong. Brady was better than Allen by a considerable margin.

24 minutes ago, raffy15 said:

I'm not using any metrics. Just using my eyes and watching film. It tells me Brady is a better "quarterback" then Allen and it isn't that close in honesty.

I can certainly judge a quarterback by how many play action attempts they ran. These plays consistently fool linebackers, and safeties and create big gaping windows in the intermediate ares of the field which is what Allen exploited. It is basically like playing quarterback with an aide if you will. Jared Goff is another quarterback who runs a lot of play action. Baker Mayfield's sudden rise this year? What do you know, a healthy dose of play action! Ryan Tannehill's rising from the ashes? Big increase in play action! See the theme? Lets give Allen some more time in the league and see him decipher defenses at a quicker pace and improve his (sub par) decision making before we start comping him to the big boys. MVP Allen? That is a funny one.

The "census opinion" was wrong. Brady was better than Allen by a considerable margin.

Correction: In my last post, I posted the wrong number.  Here are the 2020 PA numbers.  The 2020 PA numbers are 181/595 = 30% for Buffalo compared to 112/626  = 17% for Brady.  

Questions:

- Why is Allen worse than Brady because of play action but Mahomes (156/630 - 25%) and Rodgers (147/526 - 28%) are not?

- Is Big Ben a better QB than Tom Brady in 2020 because he only had 7% of his attempts in PA while Brady used 17% like a coward? 

Edited by ASmithFan1010

2 minutes ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

Correction: In my last post, I posted the wrong number.  Here are the 2020 PA numbers.  The 2020 PA numbers are 181/595 = 30% for Buffalo compared to 112/626  = 17% for Brady.  

Questions:

- Why is Allen worse than Brady because of play action but Mahomes (156/630 - 25%) and Rodgers (147/526 - 28%) are not?

- Is Sean Payton a bad playcaller because the Saints were near the bottom of the league in play action attempts?  

I think Rodgers and Mahomes show more consistent accuracy and read defenses better pre and post snap. They take care of the ball better in the pocket and make better decisions. Basically almost everything that goes into being a top qb they do better.

Allen's sudden rise to supposed superstardom coincided with his play action attempts sky rocketing. That is suspicious. This was the first season he has shown consistent accuracy in the league and he did it throwing to receivers who were more open than average.

The Saints likely should have used more play action pass attempts. Considering their qb situation though it may not have shown to much greater effect.

13 minutes ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

- Is Big Ben a better QB than Tom Brady in 2020 because he only had 7% of his attempts in PA while Brady used 17% like a coward? 

I think play action does make a considerable difference when we are talking about qb production standards. Roethlisberger's problem is throwing too many uncatchable passes aimed downfield while targeting the short middle too often. They actually could have used some more play action in all likelihood but Roethlisberger was too limited.

Brady's deep ball has been on point in recent seasons. He is pinpoint accurate.