GOL's 2021 Mock Off-Season

LinebackerGod

2 hours ago, Raves said:

The Saints always have "zilch" in cap space and end up finding plenty of money to sign/resign players.  For example the Brees restructure already saved 24 million.  Doing extensions for Lattimore and having the first year changed from his current 10 mil cap hit into a smaller hit, same with Ramzy.  They can also restructure Peats, Jordan, and Thomas's contracts for a lower hit this year.  Oh and then they will likely be releasing Janoris Jenkins and Kwon Alexander, that's about 21 mill in savings right there.  They'll be able to resign him if they want once they get done with the creative cap manipulations they do every year.  Even if they did have to move on from him teams will be offering up more than just a 3rd as other teams will be interested as well.

K

8 hours ago, Raves said:

The Saints always have "zilch" in cap space and end up finding plenty of money to sign/resign players.  For example the Brees restructure already saved 24 million.  Doing extensions for Lattimore and having the first year changed from his current 10 mil cap hit into a smaller hit, same with Ramzy.  They can also restructure Peats, Jordan, and Thomas's contracts for a lower hit this year.  Oh and then they will likely be releasing Janoris Jenkins and Kwon Alexander, that's about 21 mill in savings right there.  They'll be able to resign him if they want once they get done with the creative cap manipulations they do every year.  Even if they did have to move on from him teams will be offering up more than just a 3rd as other teams will be interested as well.

Good to know.

Now, how about y'all give him to us for a 3rd, yours or ours?

17 hours ago, FGK said:

If there was ever a year for it man. With the cap going pear shaped and everything that's going on in the league this year, plus the unprecedented QB movement we're likely to see, there is gonna be some WEIRD stuff going down.

Honestly, I don't think a guy like Lattimore (solid, but not top 10 at his position, but gonna try to get paid like it in FA) getting moved for a 3rd is gonna be even close to the top of the "weird things that happened in the 2021 offseason" highlights.

I get that, but this has been an annual tradition around here forever.

19 hours ago, zelbell said:

Not too keen on pretty much rolling with the same guys at LB next year

4th round picks aren’t going to be immediate starters

We need linebackers, but it's not a priority for us. We're not taking one early. The good news is that I think you can get pretty much the same type of quality later in the draft. I personally have Fisher graded out as the best LB in the class, aside from Parsons and Bolton. And Garrett Wallow is right up there with those guys as well. In fact, I have Wallow higher than I have Dylan Moses, a dude who can't read to save his life.

I think we can get steals at linebacker this year.

2 hours ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

We need linebackers, but it's not a priority for us. We're not taking one early. The good news is that I think you can get pretty much the same type of quality later in the draft

So, continue the same cycle of drafting low tier to mediocre linebackers that we've done since 1999. For every Schobert, I'll give you a Ben Taylor, David McMillan, and Nick Speegle.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So, continue the same cycle of drafting low tier to mediocre linebackers that we've done since 1999. For every Schobert, I'll give you a Ben Taylor, David McMillan, and Nick Speegle.

Well yeah. I didn't just pick random linebackers. These are guys I think will be studs in the league. I have 2nd round grades on all 3 of these LB's. They're projected to go much lower than that. Will they be great? No clue. But I'd be shocked if they weren't better than what we currently have.

I don't view them as low-tier or mediocre.

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

Sure, we'll send our 3rd round pick with Lattimore for your 2021 and 2022 1st round picks.

That's crazy unreasonable.

You're going to have to start shedding cap somewhere. Asking every one of your players to restructure isn't going to work. Some guys are going to be shipped off eventually. Pick your poison. That's fine if you want to keep Lattimore in lieu of other guys. But you aren't keeping Ramczyk, Kamara, Thomas, Jordan, Lattimore, and CGJ. One of those dudes is going to end up going.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, but this has been an annual tradition around here forever.

Yeah, with a cap that's been rising and a Saints team going into the offseason 30-40M over the cap, not a cap that's dropping 10-20M and a Saints team going into the offseason 70M over.

12 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

That's crazy unreasonable.

You're going to have to start shedding cap somewhere. Asking every one of your players to restructure isn't going to work. Some guys are going to be shipped off eventually. Pick your poison. That's fine if you want to keep Lattimore in lieu of other guys. But you aren't keeping Ramczyk, Kamara, Thomas, Jordan, Lattimore, and CGJ. One of those dudes is going to end up going.

Why wouldn't they restructure?  They don't lose money.  They actually get the money immediately and then the cap hit is spread out.  The Saints have been doing it for years.  Also eventually some might get shipped off, but the issue with this year is remedied easier than people think.

Just now, Raves said:

Why wouldn't they restructure?  They don't lose money.  They actually get the money immediately and then the cap hit is spread out.  The Saints have been doing it for years.

They do lose money though. That's why the team will ask them to restructure, rather than the players asking for it. The Saints can't just magically make money disappear and have it not come back to bite them eventually. There's only so much you can do before money starts getting taken away from players. Some big cuts or trades are coming. Also, you're not going to be able to sign anyone to a roster that needs quite a bit of work, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. I would think the Saints would look to get cheaper and younger while waiting for a new franchise QB to fall into their laps.

If I'm NO, I am prioritizing keeping Kamara and my OL in place above all else. I'd look to move Michael Thomas for a hefty sum and some other defensive guys for draft picks. But we'll see...maybe everyone in the world is wrong and you're right and the Saints can just make money magically appear.

1 minute ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

They do lose money though. That's why the team will ask them to restructure, rather than the players asking for it. The Saints can't just magically make money disappear and have it not come back to bite them eventually. There's only so much you can do before money starts getting taken away from players. Some big cuts or trades are coming. Also, you're not going to be able to sign anyone to a roster that needs quite a bit of work, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. I would think the Saints would look to get cheaper and younger while waiting for a new franchise QB to fall into their laps.

If I'm NO, I am prioritizing keeping Kamara and my OL in place above all else. I'd look to move Michael Thomas for a hefty sum and some other defensive guys for draft picks. But we'll see...maybe everyone in the world is wrong and you're right and the Saints can just make money magically appear.

The players don't lose any money.  The Base salary is turned into a signing bonus that the player is paid immediately rather than over the season and the cap hit is spread out over the rest of their contract.  The Saints eventually will pay for it if the Cap doesn't jump big enough each year to make up for the cap hits that get pushed into the future, but they can get away with it for awhile.

After the Brees restructure the Saints are about 66 million over.  There will be cuts:

Kwon Alexander 13.4 mil

Janoris Jenkins 7 mil

Malcolm Brown 5 mil

Patrick Robinson 2.6 mil

Thomas Morstead 2.5 mil

That is already 31 mil saved putting it at 35 million over.

Restructure the following:

Cam Jordan 9.6 mil savings

Michael Thomas 8.8 mil savings

Terron Armstead 6.7 mil savings

Andrus Peat 6 mil savings

David Onymeta 4.34 mil savings

That alone is 35 million and puts them even.

Now Ramczyk and Lattimore are still in the final year of their contracts but Ramczyk is making 11 mil and Lattimore is making 10.2 mil.  You give them new contracts and structure it with small cap hits in 1st year that could be another 10-15 million in savings as well.  Granted they will likely lose at least one of Marcus Williams/Trey Hendrickson at least, but they can make the cap space pretty easily.