"The Combine should have started today" Mock (Quick and Easy Edition) - Updated March 1

Karnage84

Used the TDN simulator for draft and prospect rankings. Not going too crazy or in depth. 

TRADES

Cowboys trade #10, #44, #99 for #7

WFT trades #19, #51, #74, #82 for #10

Starter

#19 - Christian Barmore, 3T, Alabama

#41 - Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

#44 - Dillon Radunz, RT, North Dakota State

#51 - Jabril Cox, WLB, LSU

#72 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR2, USC

#74 - Jay Tufele, 1T, USC

#82 - Amari Rodgers, SWR, Clemson

#88 - Peter Werner, SLB, Ohio State

#99 - Shaun Wade, SCB, Ohio State

#112 - Benjamin St-Juste, CB (Developmental outside), Minnesota

#154 - Rhamondre Stevenson, RB2, Oklahoma

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I would be pretty happy with this. Barmore isn't my favorite, but he would be fine in that range. This draft would, at minimum, add five starters to the roster, with guys like Tufele and Rodgers and even the DB's able to chip in. 

I figure we could get about 6 starters out of that mix (maybe even 7). 2021 is a lost year. Let the young guys step in, get valuable game time experience, fight through adversity and figure out who you have on the roster going into (hopefully) a more traditional scouting/draft season in 2022. 

- Barmore

- Moehrig (Expect we'll move to more 3 safety looks)

- Radunz - Starts at RT. Could become LTOTF if the Lions want to move off of Decker in a couple years. Move Vaitai inside and shore up the right side

- Cox - Ballhawk LB, great in coverage

- St.Brown - We need good WR's and it's another deep class. Might not become a WR1 but should be a solid WR2

- Werner - Another piece at LB, starts at SLB. 

Tufele could be a potential starter but he's likely a regular contributor at worst.

Rodgers is going to be WR3 but could play himself into being a focal point of the offense. 

Wade has a chance to replace Coleman as the starting SCB and can fill in outside. If we're playing more 3 safety looks then he could be in and out of the lineup depending on the looks and how they want to play him

St-Juste is a developmental corner with some tools. No guarantee that Oruwariye is "the guy" to play opposite of Okudah (and we have to hope he develops into the guy the Lions expected him to be when picking him at #3)

Stevenson (see @jrry32's mock (although I had already taken him before reading your mock) for a great description). We need some size/power as a compliment to Mr. Swift. We should regularly be adding RB's late. 

On 2/25/2021 at 1:29 PM, Karnage84 said:

Used the TDN simulator for draft and prospect rankings. Not going too crazy or in depth. 

TRADES

Cowboys trade #10, #44, #99 for #7

WFT trades #19, #51, #74, #82 for #10

Starter

#19 - Christian Barmore, 3T, Alabama

#41 - Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

#44 - Dillon Radunz, RT, North Dakota State

#51 - Jabril Cox, WLB, LSU

#72 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR2, USC

#74 - Jay Tufele, 1T, USC

#82 - Amari Rodgers, SWR, Clemson

#88 - Peter Werner, SLB, Ohio State

#99 - Shaun Wade, SCB, Ohio State

#112 - Benjamin St-Juste, CB (Developmental outside), Minnesota

#154 - Rhamondre Stevenson, RB2, Oklahoma

OFFENSE

With the Stafford/Goff trade and the Lions offense now under Anthony Lynn, we are going to see some significant changes. The goal is to give Goff the tools to show he can be successful running this offense while also building towards the future. Adding some young, talented pieces in the WR room (St. Brown and Rodgers), a complimentary back (Stevenson) and shoring up the right side (Radunz). If Goff does show he can be the QBOTF, we have the capacity to add in a true WR1 with the ability to devote the rest towards rebuilding the defense. If he isn't, there is enough there to help a rookie in 2022 or 2023 have some immediate success and the ability to add other pieces who can grow with him. 

• Kenny Golloday - franchise tagged and traded to Indianapolis for 2021 5th and 2022 2nd
  • Corey Davis signs 5 year x $10M apy (2021 cap hit - $6.8M)
  • Curtis Samuel signs 3 year x $8M apy (2021 cap hit - $6M)

OFFENSIVE FA's = $12.8M 2021 cap hit

QB - Goff

RB - Swift, Stevenson

WR 1 - Davis

WR 2 - St. Brown, Cephus

WR3 - Samuel, Rodgers, Agnew

TE1 - Hockenson

TE2 - H. Bryant

LT - Decker

LG - Jackson

OC - Ragnow

RG - Vaitai

RT - Radunz

DEFENSE - WIP

Glenn is in charge of revamping this entire defense. With a change to more 3 safety looks, we needed to add a legit SS and veteran presence in the back end (Johnson). Okwara comes back on a short term deal as the market wasn't as hot for him as initially expected. Jackson is brought in as a veteran piece at corner to help our young guys develop at a much cheaper rate than Trufant or Slay. The new FO seems high on Davis and he comes back on a 1 year prove it deal. Rankins has familiarity with Glenn and Campbell coming in on a relatively cheap veteran contract. The principal focus is getting younger at all three levels of the defense and strengthening the middle: defensive line (Barmore), linebacker (Werner, Cox), secondary (Wade, St Juste, Moehrig).

• John Johnson, ex-Rams SS, signs 5 year $8M apy (2021 cap hit $4.5M)
  • Romeo Okwara, DE, signs 2 year $10M apy (2021 cap hit $8.5M)
  • William Jackson, CB, signs 2 year $6M apy (2021 cap hit $6M)
  • Jarrad Davis, LB, signs 1 year $2.5M apy (2021 cap hit $2.5M)
  • Sheldon Rankins, DT, signs 3 year $3.5M apy (2021 cap hit $2.5M)

DEFENSIVE FA SIGNINGS = $24M

TOTAL FA SIGNINGS = $36.8M

DE - Flowers

DT - Rankins

DT - Barmore

DE - R. Okwara

SLB - Werner

MLB - Davis

WLB - Cox

CB - Okudah

SCB - Wade

CB - W. Jackson, Oruwariye, St Juste

FS - Walker

FS - Moehrig

SS - J. Johnson

Edited by Karnage84

32 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's a good group of players in the Draft. However, I don't see the Chargers cutting Mike Williams. I think it's more likely that they extend him and lower his cap number.

Hmmm...alright.

How about Curtis Samuel for 3 years x $6M instead? 

I'm looking at Davis as 1A with Samuel at 1B but neither guy is a true WR1 but both are high end WR2's. Maybe I'm in the minority on this (and I'm open to hearing your thoughts) but I see Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp in that mold. I don't know if we need a true WR1 if we have 4-5 WR2's who can all make plays. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Hmmm...alright.

How about Curtis Samuel for 3 years x $6M instead? 

I'm looking at Davis as 1A with Samuel at 1B but neither guy is a true WR1 but both are high end WR2's. Maybe I'm in the minority on this (and I'm open to hearing your thoughts) but I see Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp in that mold. I don't know if we need a true WR1 if we have 4-5 WR2's who can all make plays. 

Seems a bit on the low end of things for Samuel. But it's hard to say with the cap likely to drop. Yes, I agree you don't need a #1 WR if you have three or more WRs who are effective players.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Seems a bit on the low end of things for Samuel. But it's hard to say with the cap likely to drop. Yes, I agree you don't need a #1 WR if you have three or more WRs who are effective players.

So let's say it's $8M... I'd take Davis + Samuel for $18M vs KG for $18M. 

• Like 2