Titanic Meh! WK 7 GDT

Fatgerman

OK, I totally missed the first half because my cable box did not get the HD signal for some reason, so my DVR just recorded a black screen.

So I am just now finding out about the coach turning down a 15 yard penalty on 3rd down, giving the Titans a 4th and 1 that they converted due to an offsides penalty.

If there are any defenders of Hue Jackson left, what are your thoughts on this?  I'm honestly curious to hear the defense of a coach who is so obviously sabotaging his team's chances of winning - or at the very least, is just incredibly stupid.

Here's your pulpit.  No "Who's going to replace him?" or "Nobody can win with this roster" BS.  Defend this man and this decision.

I'm all ears (or eyes, if you want to get literal).

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

OK, I totally missed the first half because my cable box did not get the HD signal for some reason, so my DVR just recorded a black screen.

So I am just now finding out about the coach turning down a 15 yard penalty on 3rd down, giving the Titans a 4th and 1 that they converted due to an offsides penalty.

If there are any defenders of Hue Jackson left, what are your thoughts on this?  I'm honestly curious to hear the defense of a coach who is so obviously sabotaging his team's chances of winning - or at the very least, is just incredibly stupid.

Here's your pulpit.  No "Who's going to replace him?" or "Nobody can win with this roster" BS.  Defend this man and this decision.

I was livid--well, Browns livid, which means I appeared calm & a bit concerned on the outside but was a broiling inferno on the inside--when I watched this happen.  It made literally 0 sense, as they were near field goal range & very possibly were going to go for it on 4th down.  

Literally the only reason I’m concerned to get rid of Hue is how that affects Greg Williams’ status with the next regime. We have a highly competent DC. Hue displays questionable in-game decisions, ‘interesting’ play-calling at times, and wasn’t he supposed to be a QB guru? “Trust me” on Kessler? Not sure Kizer was really his “guy,” but he sure hasn’t been good here. If he’s not an expert at offense and the QB position, that defeats any reasoning for him being hired here to begin with. I know he hasn’t had talent here, especially on offense, but no regime can weather a two year stretch like he’s heading towards. When he was hired, I said give him 3-4 years no matter what, for continuity. I’ve changed my mind. You can’t win maybe a couple games over a two year stretch and keep a job. Sashi would get an assist credited if Jackson were to get fired. Not sure this regime has actually tried to win, as it relates to roster structure and personnel decisions towards the 53. 

7 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Lucky you. I'm serious. It was horrific.

Yeah, ridiculously stupid decision and I said so at the time. It would have put them in a 3rd and 16 from midfield and out of FG range. Then Danny "I'm huge and fat and have been a disappointment as a first rounder but am still a somewhat capable 1st/2nd down 1 Tech so I'm not technically a bust" Shelton jumps offsides. The Titans proceed to kick a FG. If an NFL defense can't hold serve on 3rd and 16, then it won't hold serve on 4th and 1.

If there are any defenders of Hue Jackson left, what are your thoughts on this? 

I'm not a Hue apologist, but I'm honestly starting to sour on this entire regime from the FO to the coaching staff, simply because I'm not seeing any progression. Inactive WR sent home after breaking curfew, a 2nd round QB who has looked horrific, calls a "team only" meeting, then proceeds to close out a bar late on Saturday and plays like he's drunk on Sunday, benched for the 2nd/3rd time. That's on the coaching staff for losing control.

I'm also sour that Wentz and Watson are doing so well and we chickened out, passed on both (I'll give them a pass on Wentz due to the state of our roster last year in all honesty, but Watson I have no room for forgiveness for Sashi and co, especially when on Hue's admission Watson was their highest rated player left at 12), and now they're perennial Pro Bowlers barring injury or absolute unforeseen regression. 

I'm honestly curious to hear the defense of a coach who is so obviously sabotaging his team's chances of winning - or at the very least, is just incredibly stupid.

I'm more or less willing to bring in a legit NFL guy for the GM/President role and demote Sashi to head nerd of salary. Then, I'm letting that NFL guy decide whether or not Hue should stay for a third year (although if we go 0-16 it would be hard to rationalize keeping any head coach with a 1-31 record, and I don't care what the state of the roster was when he got here). I mean, the Jets are still very competitive with a roster that's not much better than ours, aside from perhaps their defensive front 7.

I was firmly on the "GIVE THEM 3 YEARS NO MATTER WHAT!" hype train until I realized that this would be the perfect year to make a move if you're going to. All those draft picks and promising young players...if the right coach/GM combination is in here, they could hit a homerun and swing things almost overnight.

If I'm Haslem, they'd better give me a reason over the next 10 weeks to keep them around after Black Monday...and these youngsters who think that they have unlimited time had better figure it out really quick that they're playing for their jobs since apparently they have no clue what it's like to be/act like a professional.

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

The only justification I could think of for Hue not accepting that penalty was the likelihood Gregg would have our safeties play 25 yards back and the Titans would hit their TE/slot down the seam for a first.

But yeah especially puzzling since it would have turned an easy fg to a difficult one had the Titans kicked.

9 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

yeah that was abysmally dumb

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To me this is where it's obvious he needs an OC.

He's trying to do the work of two men and the performance of both is suffering. If I'm Sashi this is a mandate for Hue moving forward.

The penalty occurred when the defense was on the field if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not sure that would have made a difference.

29 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

The penalty occurred when the defense was on the field if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not sure that would have made a difference.

I get that, but my point is he's being spread to thin (IMO).  If he's having to dedicate any time to the offense while the defense is on the field, he's putting himself in a position to miss something.

I think he needs to acknowledge that maybe this is more work than he can handle, there's no shame in that.  I'm fully prepared to roll with Hue next season, but this is one of the concessions he'd have to make.  There are plenty of solid options on staff too (Saunders is a no-brainer), it's not as if he's got to bring in another guy from outside the organization.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, but my point is he's being spread to thin (IMO).  If he's having to dedicate any time to the offense while the defense is on the field, he's putting himself in a position to miss something.

I think he needs to acknowledge that maybe this is more work than he can handle, there's no shame in that.  I'm fully prepared to roll with Hue next season, but this is one of the concessions he'd have to make.  There are plenty of solid options on staff too (Saunders is a no-brainer), it's not as if he's got to bring in another guy from outside the organization.

He did that with Gregg, so it's feasible.

Spread thick or thin, he's out of his element. It can't be any more obvious. There is no circumstance in which he is a fit for this job. 

Stupid is as stupid does, momma always said.

• (614) 428s, aw hell, you already know what my point is. 

Archived