Texans Release RB D. Johnson

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

• 2015 (Rookie Season): 5.5 yards per touch vs Isaiah Crowell's 4.4 yards per touch. 914 yards from scrimmage versus Crowell's 888. Slightly less effective as a runner, though, with 3.6 yards per carry versus Crowell's 3.8.

• 2016: 6.9 yards per touch versus Crowell's 5.3. 872 scrimmage yards versus Crowell's 1,271. 4.9 yards per carry versus Crowell's 4.8.

• 2017: 6.7 yards per touch versus Crowell's 4.4. 1,041 scrimmage yards versus Crowell's 1,035. 4.2 yards per carry versus Crowell's 4.1. Even had 5 more TDs. Literally outplayed him in every way bulk-wise and efficiency wise, with higher totals across the board on nearly 80 less touches. 

• 2018: 7.2 yards per touch versus Carlos Hyde's 3.4 or Nick Chubb's 5.4. 630 scrimmage yards versus 411 and 1,145, respectively. Johnson had 5 yards per carry versus 3.1 by Hyde and 5.0 by Chubb.

• 2019: 6.5 yards per touch versus 4.4 by Carlos Hyde. 820 yards from scrimmage versus 1,1172 by Hyde. 4.9 yards per carry versus 4.4 by Hyde.

• 2020: Outplayed on an efficiency basis for the first time, and by David Johnson. Both missed significant time with injuries, with Duke missing 5 games and David missing 4. 4.6 yards per touch versus David Johnson's 5.6. 484 yards from scrimmage versus David Johnson's 1,005. 3.1 yards per carry versus David Johnson's 4.7.

•Duke Johnson is still someone who, from 2016 to 2019 (his last 4 healthy seasons), averaged 4.7 yards per carry and 9.4 yards per reception. He still has a career yards per touch figure of 6.2, and 6.8 over the four year span. He was crazy efficient and was the most efficient player in the backfield literally every single year except for 2020, which is also the first year that he missed time with injury. 

Was his drop in efficiency in 2020 due to hitting that 27-year-old wall, or was it due to dealing with injuries and playing on a terrible, terrible team? That's the question. Because it's not that he wasn't good in Cleveland or that he wasn't good I'm Houston. Dude has been one of the best receiving backs in the league since he came in, with really high reception and efficiency numbers and consistently OUTPLAYING his teammates.

The Browns won 4 games in Duke's first 3 years. Those teams had some of the worst offenses in the league over that stretch and struggled to get the ball down the field. The dump off was the go to option and Johnson had solid receiving ability out of the backfield. But he was far from some of the best in the league at it. His production there was more about opportunity than great talent. It's not a coincidence that when the team starting playing better in 18' his numbers went down. Should also be said that he was drafted to run the ball first & foremost, like he did at Miami, and he's been a big disappointment there.

He's been an overrated player for a good while. He's getting released because the Texans ridiculously overpaid for him and they get that now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well...why not, really? 

Because he can't football good anymore, and you're trusting Nick Caserio and Jack Easterby to renegotiate that deal. Knowing them, Johnson is about to become the highest paid RB in football.

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because he can't football good anymore, and you're trusting Nick Caserio and Jack Easterby to renegotiate that deal. Knowing them, Johnson is about to become the highest paid RB in football.

Coincidentally, David Johnson is strong in the faith Easterby happens to espouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'm not convinced he's done, and if he can play at all, you might as well keep him around. You're probably losing Watson, so it's a lose little/lose big proposition. If Easterby and Caserio screw up the contract, or Johnson fails, it's strike one against Easterby and Caserio. Of course, they'll end up getting like 137 strikes, but you gotta start somewhere. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not hating on the Texans, I just have never understood the hype with David Johnson. He literally has had 1 singular good season in the NFL in 6 years and a bunch of replacable RB seasons surrounding his career.

Awesome guy, awesome person, awesome story--but man I have never understood the hype with that guy over the last 3+ years.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not hating on the Texans, I just have never understood the hype with David Johnson. He literally has had 1 singular good season in the NFL in 6 years and a bunch of replacable RB seasons surrounding his career.

Awesome guy, awesome person, awesome story--but man I have never understood the hype with that guy over the last 3+ years.

Me neither. He can catch the ball well, I'll give him that - he'd probably be a better WR than RB.

But, he's nowhere worth the money he's pulling in. He's damaged, has no explosiveness anymore - and is good to get hurt and miss 3-6 games a year.

Not too bad for the guy who is the highest paid RB in his division (a division with James Robinson, Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry...)

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not convinced he's done, and if he can play at all, you might as well keep him around.

I wish I had your optimism. David Johnson looks slow, indecisive and soft - he's stutter stepping in the backfield, trying to find the perfect hole to run through and goes down if a DL gives him a nasty look.

He's good catching the ball in space, but even that's dependant on him creating space - he's doing it on assignments, if a LB or DB is covering him, he's not shaking away.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 2:12 PM, ET80 said:

I think the plan is to keep him by restructuring/extending him...

At this point... I have no idea why.

I didn't think he was an abomination or anything at the end of last year. Not super duper efficient / explosive, but I thought he was competent and overpaid which has been Kirk Cousins' lane for years.