Texans Release RB D. Johnson

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I wish I had your optimism. David Johnson looks slow, indecisive and soft - he's stutter stepping in the backfield, trying to find the perfect hole to run through and goes down if a DL gives him a nasty look.

He's good catching the ball in space, but even that's dependant on him creating space - he's doing it on assignments, if a LB or DB is covering him, he's not shaking away.

He should come to the Bears, then. As long as he does all that, AND continually runs east/west...we'll give him $7 mil a year, easy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not hating on the Texans, I just have never understood the hype with David Johnson. He literally has had 1 singular good season in the NFL in 6 years and a bunch of replacable RB seasons surrounding his career.

Awesome guy, awesome person, awesome story--but man I have never understood the hype with that guy over the last 3+ years.

It's more of the way that his career went.

He didn't really receive much play time in 2015. He was a very good back-up option to Chris Johnson. Played as a triple-threat, returning the football and serving as a change of pace guy for the offense. Andre Ellington was the starter heading into the season, but he went down. The team had CJ2K, but he went down late in the year. They gave David Johnson the chance to be a workhorse instead of an efficient back-up at that point, and he more than delivered. Over the last 5 games of the season, he had over 650 yards from scrimmage. Which is over a 2,100 yard pace for a season. Really good, right? Huge part of the Cards' late-season and playoff push that got them to the NFC Championship.

And then the next season, he actually kept up that ridiculous pace for a full slate of games. He was unreal. So when you have the context of two really good seasons from a performance perspective and his rare skill-set. 

And then you have 2017, and he didn't even play through all of week 1 before getting injured for the season. So at that point, you have hype from him being this transcendent talent at the RB position, but he's missed a season.

2018, fans were still able to make excuses because the dude was playing for Steve Wilks' Arizona Cardinals. It was chalked up as a lost season. It's rare for RBs to be good on a losing team when game script is working against them, especially when you're on the worst offense in the league, and the Cardinals had an absolutely putrid offense that year. Josh Rosen was the QB, the OL was probably the worst in the league, you had 36-year-old Larry Fitzgerald and nothing else in the passing game to take pressure off of Johnson. So people were still able to give him a pass and call it a lost season.

So at that point, you have a dynamic rookie season where he took the league by storm over the last several weeks, you have an incredible sophomore season where he was the best offensive weapon in the NFL, he missed his 3rd season and then the narrative is that his 4th season was a lost cause playing for the worst team in the NFL. 

2019, no excuses. I guess DJ2K truthers can still say that he was learning a new system and that it was a massive identity shift on offense, and he was banged up, but he also was outperformed by Kenyan Drake. Was he terrible? No. But he also was wildly inconsistent. He flashed his old explosion and power through contact, but then there were also times when a corner would sneeze on him and he'd drop. And there were also times when it looked like he was running through a pool of honey. Did he still flash ability? Yes. But he still had injury issues, had those bizarre plays like I stated, and was simply out-played by Kenyan Drake and Chase Edmonds.

I think after 2019, the hyped surrounding him was finally dead.

Edited by HoboRocket