Matthews & Cobb Contracts

TheOnlyThing

Matthews has held up physically pretty well this season. He also has 2.5 sacks so far and is on a pace to finish with 6.5. He has not reached double digit sacks as an outside linebacker since 2012. (He had 11 in 2014 but the majority of those came after he was switched to inside linebacker).

Clay will be 32 when the 2018 season begins. He will also count $11.4M against the cap next year. However, the Pack saves all $11.4M by cutting him and incurs no dead money.

Matthews is currently the 10th highest paid edge rusher in the league. https://overthecap.com/position/edge-rusher

As for Cobb, his 26 catches for 246 yards and 1 TD through six games project out to season totals of 69/656/3.

Randall is currently the 15th highest paid WR in the NFL and his cap number is $12.5M in 2018. The Pack saves $9.5M while eating $3.25M in dead money by cutting him after this season. https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver

What are the chances that Matthews or Cobb are back in Green Bay in 2018 on their current contracts?

As poor as Matthews has been for the past 3 seasons, we just do not have the depth there to afford to lose even a slightly above average player. If we pick high in the draft, it must be at Edge. 

I prefer Adams to Cobb at this point.. bye Randall, thank you for your service. Show Davante the money

33 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

As poor as Matthews has been for the past 3 seasons, we just do not have the depth there to afford to lose even a slightly above average player. If we pick high in the draft, it must be at Edge. 

I prefer Adams to Cobb at this point.. bye Randall, thank you for your service. Show Davante the money

Agree the cupboard is pretty bare right now at OLB.

However, do you really keep Clay for $11.4M in 2018?

Can't cheaper players come in and produce just as much if not more?

For example, two veteran outside linebackers who were available this past offseason, Julius Peppers who signed a 1 year deal for $3.75M ($1M guaranteed) and Elvis Dumervil, who signed a two-year $7.6M deal ($5M guaranteed), have 6.5 and 3.5 sacks for the Panthers and 49ers, respectively.

If Clay wants to come back at a significantly reduced salary that would be perfectly fine to me, but man that extra $ could be used elsewhere in my view. 

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

For example, two veteran outside linebackers who were available this past offseason, Julius Peppers who signed a 1 year deal for $3.75M ($1M guaranteed) and Elvis Dumervil, who signed a two-year $7.6M deal ($5M guaranteed), have 6.5 and 3.5 sacks for the Panthers and 49ers, respectively.

If Clay wants to come back at a significantly reduced salary that would be perfectly fine to me, but man that extra $ could be used elsewhere in my view. 

If you cut CMIII, there's a good chance that he is one of those players that has 6.5 or 3.5 sacks playing for $5.5M a year. 

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Absolutely. And they should. Matthews has been *** for years. He gets washed out of so many plays and has a hard on for making the highlight play. 14 sacks and 83 tackles over the past 34 regular season games. If anyone is stealing their paycheck in GB, it's Clay Matthews. 

17 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Absolutely. And they should. Matthews has been *** for years. He gets washed out of so many plays and has a hard on for making the highlight play. 14 sacks and 83 tackles over the past 34 regular season games. If anyone is stealing their paycheck in GB, it's Clay Matthews. 

its hard to argue CM3 isnt overpaid... but keep in mind when he got that contract it was 100% deserving. sucks to see him decline a bit but sometimes that happens. hes still a starting caliber edge, but the contract doesnt look too good anymore.

i feel like a lot of people here knew the cobb deal wasnt a good one the day he signed it... that's a tougher one to take on then Clays at this point (even though its not as pricey). cobb might have the only bloated deal ever given under TT's (russ ball) era though... so its not like we have a bad history of it

1 minute ago, driftwood said:

its hard to argue CM3 isnt overpaid... but keep in mind when he got that contract it was 100% deserving. sucks to see him decline a bit but sometimes that happens. hes still a starting calible edge, but the contract doesnt look too good anymore.

i feel like a lot of people here knew the cobb deal wasnt a good one the day he signed it... that's a tougher one to take on then Clays at this point (even though its not as pricey)

At the time, yes, I don't think there is one person who would say that that was a bad contract.. honestly, most would say we probably got a steal there. I would say his decline has been more severe then a bit. He just doesn't beat anyone with any level of consistency. 

The Cobb contract was an overpay but with the way our offense was producing, again, not many had a problem with it. It's time to give that money to Tae. I am more okay with the Cobb contract then Clays, fwiw.

8 minutes ago, driftwood said:

its hard to argue CM3 isnt overpaid... but keep in mind when he got that contract it was 100% deserving. sucks to see him decline a bit but sometimes that happens. hes still a starting calible edge, but the contract doesnt look too good anymore.

i feel like a lot of people here knew the cobb deal wasnt a good one the day he signed it... that's a tougher one to take on then Clays at this point (even though its not as pricey). cobb tmight have the only bloated deal ever given under TT's (russ ball) era though... so its not like we have a bad history of it

To be clear, this thread is not about whether the Matthews & Cobb contracts were good ones when they were originally signed.

I am trying to project to next year and I think opening up $20M+ in cap space by moving on from these contracts should seriously be considered, but I know that is not something the Pack has done much of in the past so am wondering if others think it is a real possibility when it comes to Matthews and or Cobb for 2018.

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

To be clear, this thread is not about whether the Matthews & Cobb contracts were good ones when they were originally signed.

I am trying to project to next year and I think opening up $20M+ in cap space by moving on from these contracts should seriously be considered, but I know that is not something the Pack has done much of in the past so am wondering if others think it is a real possibility when it comes to Matthews and or Cobb for 2018.

i'd love for that cap space to open, but only if they use free agency to try & find capable replacements. there are some guys currently on the roster that need new deals but even with CM & cobb on the books they can resign those core guys. if you free up those 2 contracts then you have to be a player in free agency again like they were this past offseason

I'd like both those guys to pull an AJ Hawk and get released only to re-sign new deals at much lesser money.  (At least I think Hawk took lesser money.)

I like both, and at times, both are effective.  Just overpaid.  And if they won't accept that kind of a deal?  I'm good with moving on from Cobb, but I think you keep Matthews.

I love the way he can cover, he is a physical tackler and he still has some speed to threaten the edge.  He has a nose for the ball, too.  You can no longer build around him, but he can be a nice piece to the puzzle.

Just now, packerrfan74 said:

I don't know why, but I can't ever picture Clay being the type of guy to restructure for the benefit of the team. He will hold on for all of his money. 

I don't know why either.  Everything he's done has shown he's a team player for his entire career here.  We all know he didn't want to play in the middle, and yet he did it without a single complaint for half a year, and then again for the entire year after. 

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't know why either.  Everything he's done has shown he's a team player for his entire career here.  We all know he didn't want to play in the middle, and yet he did it without a single complaint for half a year, and then again for the entire year after. 

Except for his brother coming out and saying that he wasnt happy playing there in the middle. Sure that wasn't out of his mouth.. but you don't think Clay will look at it as, "I've done all this for you, why would I give up my money for sacrificing what I wanted for the team?"?

51 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I don't know why, but I can't ever picture Clay being the type of guy to restructure for the benefit of the team. He will hold on for all of his money. 

I also don't see how another team is going to get close to that number for him.  

We've long argued that he'd be a great compliment rusher to someone else on the other side.

Yet with Peppers and now Perry, that hasn't done much to boost his game.

I really don't know his market value, but I'm guessing it is closer to $5M/year than $11M/year.  If I add my 1.33% rule to me projecting money for players, that would put Clay around $6.65/M/year.  I could live with that number if he could.

Archived