Matthews & Cobb Contracts

TheOnlyThing

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I kinda hope Jordy retires this year. Love the guy, but I think it's time to spend another 2nd round pick on a WR and refresh the group a bit

Grab me an EDGE in the 1st, WR in the 2nd, then a couple OL and defensive players the rest of the way and I'm one happy boi

Jordy's still an asset to this team if he literally plays only red zone snaps.  I'd like to see him play for three more years because I think he can be an asset for us for that long.  I certainly want to spend a 2nd or third on a receiver, but I don't want it to take Jordy retiring. 

Well yeah but that's dependent on his contract. I don't want to pay $10m for this Jordy next year

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Well yeah but that's dependent on his contract. I don't want to pay $10m for this Jordy next year

Oh, come on now.  That ten million means nothing, and it won't impact our offseason in any way whatsoever.  We're gonna have 30 million dollars next year even if we keep Cobb and Nelson.  Hell, we would literally have 30 million dollars next year if we decided to throw three additional million dollars at Cobb and Nelson for the hell of it since we will have 33 million next year.  That's about 10 million more than we will need even IF we sign a big name free agent, and we likely won't either way. 

There is no scenario I can see where we will need Nelson's 10 million next year.  Or Cobb's for that matter.  If we cut both of them we'd have 53 million dollars.  For what?  We're not spending it. 

I'd agree and I'd want Jordy to retire if we were tight, but we're not. 

2019 we're on pace to have 92 million in cap room, so don't say we'll need it for Rodgers, either. 

In 2020 we're currently projected at 157 million in cap room. 

We have no reason to want that 10 million of Jordy's due to retirement. 

That's why I don't get the desire for us to cut Cobb and Matthews, either.  I get wanting something new, but keeping them doesn't keep us from getting something new, and if having Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb as backups next year costs 22 million dollars, why in the hell not?  If we pay our own, our own will be more likely to re-sign, and our own are all I really want anyway other than street free agents and one year deals. 

Because street free agents and one year deals are the Reggie White deals of the early 90's right now.  That's the way to get Super Bowls by using free agency, and that's not gonna cost much. 

Archived