Matthews & Cobb Contracts

TheOnlyThing

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I also don't see how another team is going to get close to that number for him.  

We've long argued that he'd be a great compliment rusher to someone else on the other side.

Yet with Peppers and now Perry, that hasn't done much to boost his game.

I really don't know his market value, but I'm guessing it is closer to $5M/year than $11M/year.  If I add my 1.33% rule to me projecting money for players, that would put Clay around $6.65/M/year.  I could live with that number if he could.

its one of those situations where you would think the rest of the league has a similar value on him, & if they worked out a deal to restructure it would be great. but as a team you have to be ready to cut him outright if he doesn't want to restructure... is it worth losing whatever ability he has left at the expense of not having anyone on the current roster to replace him? maybe wait till Vince is healthy enough to play? these contract situations are impossible to figure out as fans with no inside knowledge. I never though AJ Hawk would resign after getting cut. it made sense in hindsight, but i had no idea he was 'that kind of guy'.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I also don't see how another team is going to get close to that number for him.  

We've long argued that he'd be a great compliment rusher to someone else on the other side.

Yet with Peppers and now Perry, that hasn't done much to boost his game.

I really don't know his market value, but I'm guessing it is closer to $5M/year than $11M/year.  If I add my 1.33% rule to me projecting money for players, that would put Clay around $6.65/M/year.  I could live with that number if he could.

I thought Clay has been pretty good this year myself...I see a "boost"

I think they both need to have their contracts reworked, but they still have value to the Packers.  Clay does everything they ask of him, and he's still making an impact.  He's had a good season.  Cobb seems replaceable, but he's a good teammate and still makes some plays here and there.  I don't see either guy as needing to be replaced .. just not so sure they are pro bowl type talents that should command top contracts any longer.

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think they both need to have their contracts reworked, but they still have value to the Packers.  Clay does everything they ask of him, and he's still making an impact.  He's had a good season.  Cobb seems replaceable, but he's a good teammate and still makes some plays here and there.  I don't see either guy as needing to be replaced .. just not so sure they are pro bowl type talents that should command top contracts any longer.

I like and appreciate everything Matthews and Cobb have contributed to the Packers and if money was no object, there would be no question about them being replaced.

Of course, if money was not an issue, then TJ Lang should have been resigned as well, but there is only so much to go around with a cap in place and tough decisions need to be made.

I also realize that the Packers do not traditionally restructure deals.

However, unless something changes over the rest of this season, I just can't see devoting a combined $21M to Matthews & Cobb in 2018 as being a smart use of resources.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

To me, Clay playing "better" so far while being on track for 6.5 sacks for the season seems to be a pretty strong evidence that he is not worth anywhere near the $11.4M he is due next season.

Sacks aren't the only thing on defense

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Sacks aren't the only thing on defense

Very true.

And Clay has been better in other aspects of the game besides rushing the passer this year than in past years. Overall, he is still an above average player at the OLB position.

However, I don't think Clay's forte has ever been playing the run or covering the pass for that matter, so if he is not excelling at rushing the passer, what aspect of his game would make him worth $11.4, as a 32 year old, in 2018?

15 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Very true.

And Clay has been better in other aspects of the game besides rushing the passer this year than in past years. Overall, he is still an above average player at the OLB position.

However, I don't think Clay's forte has ever been playing the run or covering the pass for that matter, so if he is not excelling at rushing the passer, what aspect of his game would make him worth $11.4, as a 32 year old, in 2018?

He's not worth that next year. No way. I was just saying I think he's been better despite sack numbers, that's all.

12 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

If you cut CMIII, there's a good chance that he is one of those players that has 6.5 or 3.5 sacks playing for $5.5M a year. 

Correct but not at $11.4 million per year. Restructure or dump. I love the guy but he’s getting paid way too much money for the production. 

I'm gonna do a pressure breakdown on the All 22 when it's out.  Seems to me lately that Perry is very hampered by his Club.  Daniels isn't quite there yet either, and Fackrell is a freaking joke of a player.

I've seen some good things from Clay.  They are using him really well.  Gotta say I wasn't impressed with his fumble return.

Archived