Matthews & Cobb Contracts

TheOnlyThing

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, incognito_man said:

Keep Matthews, ditch Cobb. Maybe restructure Matthews.

Just the opposite my friend!  Matthews isn't producing and is older.  Cobb works well with Rodgers and still could produce big next year when our QB returns.  For me, Matthews is as good as gone.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Right, and Matthews is currently leading the team in sacks.  So...

You can't fault him for sucking as a pass rusher when the entire team is sucking at pass rushing.  He had 5 sacks in like 8 healthy games last year when Peppers was here.  He had 6.5 in 2015 when he was an inside linebacker.  The last year he was fully healthy and a pass rusher he ha 11 sacks... And he played half that year at inslide linebacker. 

He's worth 11 million as a player on this team and I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.  Full time pass rusher no, but if we get a new defensive coordinator that decides to use him effectively, he's absolutely worth 11 million to us next year in a handful of ways. 

No he's not and yes you can fault him when he's one of the highest paid pass rushers in the entire league.   You make that much money and are healthy you don't rate excuses.  He should be the reason why our pass rush doesn't suck and contributing to making things easier for everyone else on the defense but right now he's a guy we have to scheme plays FOR in order to him to have an impact.

2 hours ago, jleisher said:

Just the opposite my friend!  Matthews isn't producing and is older.  Cobb works well with Rodgers and still could produce big next year when our QB returns.  For me, Matthews is as good as gone.

disagreed. Cobb has less incentive to restructure. He's much younger and has another decent contract in his future. CMIII is in the twilight of his career and at a position of weakness for us.

If I'm not mistaken, Clay has 11.4 million cap hit next year (all cash) and nothing in 2019. I'd look at extending / restructuring him for something like 18 million / 3 years with half of it guaranteed in the form of a signing bonus. He'd still get those 10 million-ish in cash in 2017 while significantly lessening his cap hit. Dunno if he'd agree, but it's worth trying.

Can anyone explain why Randall Cobb is so bad?? He can't be declining physically at 27 years old?

After his sophomore season I thought we had something special, he got hurt the next season then in 2014 he blew up. Since then he's been awful, he's had some injuries but still shouldn't be that bad. Gotta be gone at the end of the year. 

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

disagreed. Cobb has less incentive to restructure. He's much younger and has another decent contract in his future. CMIII is in the twilight of his career and at a position of weakness for us.

Because of CMJ play is why OLB is a position of weakness.  You let Cobb go, then either Adams signs else where or Adams stays and either him of Nelson go down, then WR will be a position of weakness.  Rodgers needs his WR.  

I don't think Matthews is back nor do I believe we should resign him. He has hardly generated any pressure himself and just looks washed up. Cobb I wouldn't mind having back but it would have to be a much better deal then what we got the first go around. 

8 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

How do we know if Matthews is washed or if the scheme isn’t putting him in the best position to succeed at his age?

Hes an OLB not a QB. He rushes most of the time 1v1 against the other teams LT & RT. That isn't going to change if Albert Einstein was his DC. Hes not getting home even when he gets to play weak or back up OTs. Hes washed up.  He may have some uses at ILB but inevitably some team will want to pay him big money to come in and play spot duty like Peppers. I just don't think he is worth even a spot duty contract at this point. 

Let me ask you this what about our scheme isn't allowing Clay Mathews to succeed? Historically Doms schemes have always been great for the OLBs. 

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Hes an OLB not a QB. He rushes most of the time 1v1 against the other teams LT & RT. That isn't going to change if Albert Einstein was his DC. Hes not getting home even when he gets to play weak or back up OTs. Hes washed up.  He may have some uses at ILB but inevitably some team will want to pay him big money to come in and play spot duty like Peppers. I just don't think he is worth even a spot duty contract at this point. 

Let me ask you this what about our scheme isn't allowing Clay Mathews to succeed? Historically Doms schemes have always been great for the OLBs. 

Okay I️ can buy this, thanks for answering 

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Because of CMJ play is why OLB is a position of weakness.  You let Cobb go, then either Adams signs else where or Adams stays and either him of Nelson go down, then WR will be a position of weakness.  Rodgers needs his WR.  

WR is already a position of weakness even with all 3 of those guys here. Adams is the only one worth keeping tbh. Wouldn't mind keeping Jordy but he'd have to take a paycut. Cobb's got to go though. He's a slot WR making too much who hasn't been that effective for a few seasons now

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

WR is already a position of weakness even with all 3 of those guys here. Adams is the only one worth keeping tbh. Wouldn't mind keeping Jordy but he'd have to take a paycut. Cobb's got to go though. He's a slot WR making too much who hasn't been that effective for a few seasons now

Why not ask everyone to take a paycut?  Jordy Nelson isn't taking a paycut.

Easy decision ... cut Cobb loose .. sign Davante Adams.  Monty to a hybrid RB/Slot WR spot.  Run Nelson out of the slot a little more.  Draft a good WR prospect in round 2 or 3.  I think the remaining wide receivers are all replaceable.  There's no upside left with Randall Cobb, and it appears he's lot a step since he entered the league .. averaging under 10 per catch these days after topping out around 14 back in 2013 and 2014.

As for Matthews .. I would almost want the next defensive coordinator to see if he had a game plan in mind for Clay Matthews.  I would think Clay could be productive at ILB, on a full time basis, but not at the money he currently makes.  The days as a full time pass rusher are over.  I don't see how he avoids having to take a pay cut to stay.  Figuring we are seeing the final games of Matthews Packers career.

7 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

How do we know if Matthews is washed or if the scheme isn’t putting him in the best position to succeed at his age?

I think at this stage of his career he'd be better as a situational pass rusher and not an every down guy.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:04 AM, driftwood said:

its hard to argue CM3 isnt overpaid... but keep in mind when he got that contract it was 100% deserving. sucks to see him decline a bit but sometimes that happens. hes still a starting caliber edge, but the contract doesnt look too good anymore.

i feel like a lot of people here knew the cobb deal wasnt a good one the day he signed it... that's a tougher one to take on then Clays at this point (even though its not as pricey). cobb might have the only bloated deal ever given under TT's (russ ball) era though... so its not like we have a bad history of it

Unless my memory is failing me I don't recall a lot of folks complaining about Cobb's deal at the time either.  

Archived