2021 Expansion Draft Pool

Dome

Let's say a new team entered the league and each team was asked to place 5 players from their roster in the NFL Expansion Draft Pool. This would be an opportunity to get rid of some high priced veterans without any cap ramifications because the expansion team would take on the players remaining contract, guaranteed money, signing bonuses and all. 

Which players would make the pool for your team?

Rules:

List 5 players.

No players that are set to be UFA or RFAs in 2021.

Maximum of one player with 10 yrs or more experience. 

No Kickers or Punters.

No dead money for former team, the entire remaining contract transfers to the expansion team.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Arizona Cardinals:

1. Robert Alford, CB - has not been available the last two years, getting up there in age, and has a hefty hit of 9 mil.

2. Marcus Gilbert, RT - a talented RT, but has barely played any football for years and the team has multiple alternatives. Not worth the spot at this point.

3. Maxx Williams - Solid blocking TE, not much of a receiver, has had some injury concerns... We'll save like 3 million.

4. Chandler Jones - Such an incredible player and great in the locker room, but this guy has a 20 mill hit, is in his 30s, and we're deep at EDGE. 

5. Mason Cole - Arguably the worst starting center in the NFL, and we'd save several million. No-brainer.

• Like 1

Chiefs

LB Anthony Hitchens - cap casualty
LT Eric Fisher - cap casualty/injured
RB Damien Williams - cap casualty
LB Dorian O'Daniel - not good
RB Darwin Thompson - not good

Part of me wants to include DE Frank Clark and his ridiculous cap hits. But we don't have the depth to do it.

7 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

2. Marcus Gilbert, RT - a talented RT, but has barely played any football for years and the team has multiple alternatives. Not worth the spot at this point.

I can't believe he's already 33 years old.  Jesus time flies.  I remember grading him pretty high in the draft and was surprised he slipped as far as he did.  I thought for sure he was one of the safest picks in the drafts at the time.  Then the Steelers drafted him, and then went on to hire Muchek, and I thought that was the best thing that could've happened to him. He was solid but never lived up to the expectations that I believed he was. 

Needless to say, I was wrong. Shows what I know I guess lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Chiefs

LB Anthony Hitchens - cap casualty
LT Eric Fisher - cap casualty/injured
RB Damien Williams - cap casualty
LB Dorian O'Daniel - not good
RB Darwin Thompson - not good

Part of me wants to include DE Frank Clark and his ridiculous cap hits. But we don't have the depth to do it.

I would include Clark, even though I know there's no way the team would. Mine would probably be:

DE Frank Clark
LB Anthony Hitchens
DL Khalen Saunders (unlike DOD or Darwin, he has an actual meaningful amount of dead money. Not a ton, but a bit more nonetheless)
LB Dorian O'Daniel
S Armani Watts (again, more dead money than Darwin, and roughly as useless.)

I wouldn't do Fish. Maybe if this were at the end of the offseason and we've seen how the draft/FA shakes out. But I don't want to dump Fish or Schwartz until we have a better idea of what realistic replacement we would have.

I'm find with Damien Williams hanging around. He should be better than what Bell wound up being, coming back, honestly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I wouldn't do Fish.

He's got one more year under his current deal and he may not play at all next year. Without a team friendly extension, I don't see the point in keeping him for 2021 in this scenario with his injury timetable up in the air. Schwartz got surgery and has publicly said he plans to return, so there's almost no way I cut/trade him now.

I'd be good cutting Saunders and Watts. I just like Saunders as depth and Watts on ST, minus that onside kick.

Bills:

• Star Lotulelei - would love to be able to amnesty that contract
  • Mario Addison - going to cut anyway, but would be nice to save the little bit extra in dead cap
  • Quinton Jefferson - see Mario Addison
  • Vernon Butler - see Mario Addison/Quinton Jefferson
  • Nate Becker - I ain't never heard of you

- WR Randall Cobb

- DB Eric Murray

- LB Whitney Mercilius

- RB David Johnson

- LT Laremy Tunsil

Notes:

- If there was no K/P rule, I'd absolutely add K Ka'imi Fairbairn to the list. He's not the worst contract given in the BoB era, but he's close.

- Tunsil is there because this rebuild doesn't need the highest paid LT in football.

- Rest are bad contracts, I'd almost force Mercilius and Cobb on the new teams' roster; Have a handshake deal to trade a 5th and 6th for a player destined to be cut, contingent they select Mercilius and Cobb.

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

- WR Randall Cobb

- DB Eric Murray

- LB Whitney Mercilius

- RB David Johnson

- LT Laremy Tunsil

Notes:

- If there was no K/P rule, I'd absolutely add K Ka'imi Fairbairn to the list. He's not the worst contract given in the BoB era, but he's close.

- Tunsil is there because this rebuild doesn't need the highest paid LT in football.

- Rest are bad contracts, I'd almost force Mercilius and Cobb on the new teams' roster; Have a handshake deal to trade a 5th and 6th for a player destined to be cut, contingent they select Mercilius and Cobb.

You can trade Tunsil and get the same effect, no?