2021 Expansion Draft Pool

Dome

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You can trade Tunsil and get the same effect, no?   

I thought there would have been a lot of dead cap in a trade, but there's actually a $9mm cap save if he's traded pre 6/1 ($16mm savings post 6/1 trade).

So, yeah. That would actually be better.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

- WR Randall Cobb

- DB Eric Murray

- LB Whitney Mercilius

- RB David Johnson

- LT Laremy Tunsil

Notes:

- If there was no K/P rule, I'd absolutely add K Ka'imi Fairbairn to the list. He's not the worst contract given in the BoB era, but he's close.

- Tunsil is there because this rebuild doesn't need the highest paid LT in football.

- Rest are bad contracts, I'd almost force Mercilius and Cobb on the new teams' roster; Have a handshake deal to trade a 5th and 6th for a player destined to be cut, contingent they select Mercilius and Cobb.

You think they'd put up Bernardrick McKinney instead of Tunsil? (After seeing that you could save cap by trading Laremy.)

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

You think they'd put up Bernardrick McKinney instead of Tunsil? (After seeing that you could save cap by trading Laremy.)

McKinney is probably my next guy up, yes. He can be cut with zero cap hit, so that's why I didn't list him here - his contract is pretty much avoidable for this exercise, let him hit FA.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Danger said:

Eagles:
WR Alshon Jeffery
DT Malik Jackson
WR Marquise Goodwin
S Blake Countess
WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside

I'm surprised you don't have any of Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Javon Hargrave, Brandon Graham, Lane Johnson, Isaac Seumalo, or Zach Ertz on there. The goal for teams in cap trouble is to put a player (or more than one) up who have contracts that carry a lot of dead money that the expansion team would be likely to take to give the team in the red cap relief it couldn't otherwise get. Speaking frankly, if I were an expansion team, I wouldn't have any real interest in taking on Alshon's or Malik's contracts (but it makes perfect sense to put them up in hopes that it would). And Goodwin can be released with no dead cap (same with Countess).

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm surprised you don't have any of Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Javon Hargrave, Brandon Graham, Lane Johnson, Isaac Seumalo, or Zach Ertz on there. The goal for teams in cap trouble is to put a player (or more than one) up who have contracts that carry a lot of dead money that the expansion team would be likely to take to give the team in the red cap relief it couldn't otherwise get. Speaking frankly, if I were an expansion team, I wouldn't have any real interest in taking on Alshon's or Malik's contracts (but it makes perfect sense to put them up in hopes that it would). And Goodwin can be released with no dead cap (same with Countess).

Alshon Jeffery and Malik Jackson are those guys.

Fletcher Cox and Ertz still trade value. I think Graham is staying no matter what. No reason to cut ties with Lane Johnson, Seumalo, or Brandon Brooks unless we're committing to a full rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Fletcher Cox and Ertz still trade value. I think Graham is staying no matter what. No reason to cut ties with Lane Johnson, Seumalo, or Brandon Brooks unless we're committing to a full rebuild.

And even if we are committing to a full rebuild, all three of them still have decent trade value for a team that wants to win now. Not any super top tier picks, but draft picks none the less.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I get that on Alshon and Malik. My point is, though, that you may want to put up somebody more enticing than those two if you're really looking for cap relief. I don't see anybody wanting anything to do with Alshon. Malik's play is still good enough to be worthy of interest, but his contract is so toxic that I have my doubts anybody would want to touch it.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

And even if we are committing to a full rebuild, all three of them still have decent trade value for a team that wants to win now. Not any super top tier picks, but draft picks none the less.

They have some trade value, but you'd also eat a ton of dead cap.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I get that on Alshon and Malik. My point is, though, that you may want to put up somebody more enticing than those two if you're really looking for cap relief. I don't see anybody wanting anything to do with Alshon. Malik's play is still good enough to be worthy of interest, but his contract is so toxic that I have my doubts anybody would want to touch it.

They have some trade value, but you'd also eat a ton of dead cap.

Like I said, if we're committing to a full rebuild, then we are definitely at least 3 years away from competing anyways. So who cares if we have to eat the dead cap at that point?