Pound the Table!

Scoundrel

I'll take Creed Humphrey at C too. He's textbook and an ok athlete for the position. Thought his C reps during the SB game looked better than Meinerz, Hainsey, etc (I like those guys a lot too, but I'm not "pounding the table" for them.  If my team needed a C (and we might) I would pound the table for Creed. Don't like him nearly as much at OG tho. I might pound the table for Hainsey at RG, especially if he's there in the 4th.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'll take Creed Humphrey at C too. He's textbook and an ok athlete for the position. Thought his C reps during the SB game looked better than Meinerz, Hainsey, etc (I like those guys a lot too, but I'm not "pounding the table" for them.  If my team needed a C (and we might) I would pound the table for Creed. Don't like him nearly as much at OG tho. I might pound the table for Hainsey at RG, especially if he's there in the 4th.

So much mention of pounding the table I had to change the title thread haha

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'll pound the table for this:

I hear lots of people saying they would devalue players who opted out in 2020, but I would go the other way. I look at teams like LSU, Ed Orgeron basically not caring at all if his players contracted covid, and wonder what kind of issues those players might have down the road with their hearts or lungs, versus players who sat out and stayed covid free and won't be risking those issues in years to come. I'd take the guys with less risk.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 11:57 PM, Counselor said:

For me if I am narrowing it down to one guy it is Brevin Jordan TE Miami. I have him as a top 30 player in this class. Not sure he is even 6’3 but he looks similar in size to George Kittle coming out. 

I love the way he just attacks the ball as a receiver.  I have him lower than some others based on what the Titans need at the position, but dude is good.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:27 AM, Superduperman said:

Other guys: Ja'Marr Chase, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Rashod Bateman,  Daviyon Nixon, Trey Smith, Elijah Moore, Marlon Williams, Levi Onwuzurike

Good pick.

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

DL

Darius Stills - He is a tremendously flawed and undisciplined run defender, but I love him as a guy who can develop in that regard and will play as a rotational 3-Tech early in his career (on passing downs). He's explosive off the ball, uses his natural leverage well, has violent hands and power, has the agility to beat OLs with his quickness and on games, and pursues hard. He needs to learn counters and continue to develop his pass rush plans for when he doesn't get quick victories in the NFL. He has a build and skillset that remind me a bit of Mike Daniels coming out of Iowa.

EDGE

Quincy Roche - He's undersized and has a motor that runs hot and cold, but he has a diverse set of pass rush moves, a great go-to move, the speed and flexibility to run the arc, the agility to give OTs fits on inside moves and games, and enough power to hold up on the edge. He needs to play with more consistent leverage as a run defender and improve his play recognition, but he has the ability to be an impact pass rusher.

Chris Rumph - I hate myself for liking him so much because he seems like the sort of player who always gets me in trouble (guy lacking in certain physical attributes who is a great football player). He is very undersized and may need to play an off-the-ball LB role, but I love his instincts, his motor, his polished technique, and his advanced pass rush plans. Issue is that he just doesn't have the size or power to counter well when an OL gets the upper hand early in the rep.

Joe Tryon - I really dig his game. He has the potential to do it all. Has the frame to add weight and the strength and length to defend the run well. As a pass rusher, he has the get-off, speed, and enough flexibility to threaten the edge. But his heavy hands, savvy approach, and underrated power game make him the sort of edge rusher who can also go through an OT. 

LB

Tony Fields II - He's going to have coverage challenges outside of a zone-heavy scheme and is never going to be adept at fighting off blockers, but his play recognition skills, speed, and tackling ability make him a guy who can be a good defender on the weakside of a defense. His tightness in his lower half will make him less valuable to teams that run a lot of M2M, but with a team that uses a lot of zone, he should be a capable pass defender.

S

Paris Ford - Ford is a boom/bust pick. He's either going to be an absolute impact player in the NFL, or he's going to be a guy who never holds on to a starting job. He's a playmaker who plays a physical brand of football, uses his instincts to force game-changing turnovers in the passing game, and plays downhill like a freight train. But while he makes a lot of plays, his gambling, poor angles, and out of control play also lead to him giving up a good amount of plays. If a DB Coach can develop most of the negative plays out of his system, he can be a top tier safety in the NFL.

This guy, Jesus.  Real good scout here.

If I'm picking one, it's Tryon.  I have him as the second ranked pass rusher in this class.  It's kind of a projection pick because he didn't play in 2020, though.  The biggest thing that sticks out to me is his play strength.  Dude bull rushes and throws off blockers like he weighs 280.  Explosive as hell too.

Others I really like are Quincey Roche.  Being 235 is a concern (I had him third in the class when he was listed as 245), but he seems like the kind of guy who can add weight, and his lack of size doesn't show up in the game tape like Rumph's does.  He looked like the most polished Edge at the Senior Bowl.

I think this DL class is undervalued like crazy.  But the guy I harp on a lot is Daviyon Nixon, because I just don't get how he's not a consensus first rounder.  Had a fantastic season, put up plenty of pretty numbers, and is just unblockable when he has a full head of steam.  He disappears for stretches, but that's expected of DTs that get tired, and is less of a problem in the NFL when they rotate in more.  He looks like Jeffery Simmons on tape, with a little less speed and quickness, and a little more power.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

No thanks to Baron Browning.

• He's way too inconsistent with his reads.
  • He plays out of control.

Those are both things you can't be inconsistent with in the NFL. He's too spastic to play LB.

The thread says "Pound the table" for your guys. Not a critique forum. And for the record regarding Browning, those aren't fatal flaws, that's why they have NFL linebacker coaches to clean things like that up.

Also for the thread, how could I forget Chris Rumph Jr. ,he may be my favorite player in this whole draft. Severely undersized as a prospect but is a flat out ball player, he is instinctive and may be the most natural pass rusher in this draft but is built like a high school sophomore.  

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

And for the record regarding Browning, those aren't fatal flaws

I would want nothing to do with a linebacker that can't consistently read. That's not something that usually comes on. If you've played linebacker your whole life, you should really never be missing those reads. I think it definitely disqualifies him from playing in the box.

59 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

I would want nothing to do with a linebacker that can't consistently read. That's not something that usually comes on. If you've played linebacker your whole life, you should really never be missing those reads. I think it definitely disqualifies him from playing in the box.

I already went through this argument with @MWil23 and laid out all of my evidence, you are flat out trying to make something worse than what it really is. This is as simple as sitting in a film room with a coach and explaining what he sees or didn't see and walking it on the practice field, thats how they become better in their reads. And yes, I played the game at a highest level, these are how they are corrected. Also, do you realize that there is no such thing as a flawless prospect?, even the elite prospects have things they can get better at, this is what NFL coaches are tasked with at the next level, that's how they become Pro Bowlers, All Pros and HOF'rs.

Bro, its really simple, inconstancy means he see's some things and doesn't see others, higher level coaches help them see what they can't see to speed up the process, simple as that. Browning is a plus athlete with optimal size and some degree of knowledge of the game and high character, you'd be a fool to think teams wouldn't take a flyer on him, especially in a weak LB draft. 

And at end of the day, its about preference. You may not like him, but there are plenty of people who do.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

10 hours ago, Daniel said:I think this DL class is undervalued like crazy.  But the guy I harp on a lot is Daviyon Nixon, because I just don't get how he's not a consensus first rounder.  Had a fantastic season, put up plenty of pretty numbers, and is just unblockable when he has a full head of steam.  He disappears for stretches, but that's expected of DTs that get tired, and is less of a problem in the NFL when they rotate in more.  He looks like Jeffery Simmons on tape, with a little less speed and quickness, and a little more power.

Probably because he kind of sucks using his hands. Simmons was a hand technician with brute force, Nixon is nothing like that. I feel like you got traits mixed up when describing the two.