Pound the Table!

Scoundrel

I’ll assume that guys like DeVonta Smith and Kyle Pitts no longer count as pound the table options, so I’ll go with (In no particular order):
Rashad Weaver, Darius Stills, Richie Grant, and Creed Humphrey

I’d also strongly consider pounding the table for the likes of:
Brevin Jordan, Walker Little, Dyami Brown, Marvin Wilson (at 2 gap NT), Drake Jackson, and Divine Deablo.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:12 PM, jrry32 said:

I am not going to name any projected first round picks. Instead, I'll try to focus on guys I think will be great value picks later in the Draft:

QB

Davis Mills - The lack of experience is an issue, and he has legitimate red flags when it comes to durability. But he throws the ball like a first round pick. Prototypical pocket passer with a quick release, strong arm, and functional mobility. Has a lot of growing to do mentally, as he isn't deceptive with his eyes and can be fooled by well-disguised coverages. But all the attributes of a starting QB are there.

HB

Rhamondre Stevenson - He reminds me of Le'Veon Bell. Arguably the most NFL-ready receiving talent in this class because of his stellar blocking, soft hands, and good routes. He's a big HB (5'11" 230) with more of a finesse style, a sick spin move, and good patience. But he can get physical when necessary.

Jaret Patterson - Absolutely feasted on a lower level of competition. Love his quick feet, acceleration, contact balance, and leg drive. Runs with great leverage and is always falling forward. Was fast against his competition but won't run away from NFL talent. Great at getting skinny through seams. Willing blocker but the passing game is a question mark.

WR

D'Wayne Eskridge - He's older and undersized (5'9" 190), but he's so explosive and twitchy. He reportedly runs in the low 4.3's and plays to that speed. But he also possesses sure hands, a physical game for a little guy, and the separation quickness to drive DBs crazy. He reminds me of Brandin Cooks as a prospect.

Tamorrion Terry - He has a lot of issues to iron out, but he has first round physical talent. This is a guy who is 6'4", very fast, sudden, agile, and has the contact balance to run through tackles. His hand technique is poor, which leads to drops. His route running is raw. And he had some attitude issues in college (but his coaches and QBs were terrible, so it's hard to blame him). But he is so talented. He reminds me of Tyrell Williams.

Rashad Bateman/Amon-Ra St. Brown - I'll put them on here for similar reasons. Both guys have separation quickness, savvy, competitiveness, physicality, sure hands, and body control. But they lack top-shelf athleticism. I expect both to produce well on Sundays.

Jaelon Darden - He's a tiny guy, but he has special twitch, acceleration, and hip fluidity. I don't known how fast he is. But he seems like a guy who could be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams on punt returns and in the slot. The question is if he has the body to hold up in the NFL. He doesn't lack the physical talent or the hands as a receiver.

TE

Tommy Tremble - I love this dude's game. He's such a violent, physical blocker who plays his butt off every time he's on the field. He's a raw receiver, but he's very athletic and doesn't lack the want-to or physicality. It'll be interesting to see how he develops as a receiver in the NFL, but at minimum, you have a guy who is going to do damage as a blocker (as a FB, H-Back, or inline TE).

Matt Bushman - He's older (25) and coming off a torn Achilles. He should have come out last year. But he's still a very intriguing talent. He has the separation quickness to beat LBs with his routes, enough speed to threaten the seam, and the size, physicality, and contested-catch ability to be a mismatch against smaller defenders. The big problem with him is that despite his frame, he isn't much of a blocker at this stage and might lack the mindset to be anything more than just a guy in that respect.

OL

Jaylon Moore - I think he has starting potential at every position on the OL except Center. Looks to have the athleticism, balance, mirroring ability, and just enough length to play LT. Has the strength and wide base to play OG very well. Right now, he's a raw kid who will need to develop his punch timing, hand placement, and eliminate some bad habits. But the tools are all there.

Robert Hainsey - It's hard to argue with a guy who has five-position versatility as a sixth OL. Hainsey is thin in the lower body and doesn't have the feet/anchor to start at OT imo. But he can get you out of a game there. However, his mean streak, technical prowess, intelligence, and upper body strength play well on the inside. He has starting potential at Center or OG in a ZBS.

Quinn Meinerz - I think a lot of us fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl. I think he has the potential to be one of the game's best Centers with time and development.

Drake Jackson - He's likely a Center-only prospect and limited to zone blocking schemes, but I love his quickness off the snap, his upper body wrestling and hand fighting, his grip strength, his tenacity, his intelligence, and his technically savvy game. He's experienced and smart. Seems like a kid who can be a solid starter at Center. But he definitely doesn't have a body that NFL teams will love.

DL

Tommy Togiai - He's the definition of a glue guy on defense. The effort he gives from snap to snap as a DT is insane. The guy is always pursuing the ball and makes plays that few other guys have the energy and inclination at his position to make. He's a stout run defender who plays with leverage and a low center of gravity. He's quite adept at finding the football and working off of single blocks. When double team, he anchors in and holds his ground. As a pass rusher, he has a quick first step and active hands, but he needs to develop a go-to move for quick wins and more advanced pass rush plans.

Darius Stills - He is a tremendously flawed and undisciplined run defender, but I love him as a guy who can develop in that regard and will play as a rotational 3-Tech early in his career (on passing downs). He's explosive off the ball, uses his natural leverage well, has violent hands and power, has the agility to beat OLs with his quickness and on games, and pursues hard. He needs to learn counters and continue to develop his pass rush plans for when he doesn't get quick victories in the NFL. He has a build and skillset that remind me a bit of Mike Daniels coming out of Iowa.

EDGE

Quincy Roche - He's undersized and has a motor that runs hot and cold, but he has a diverse set of pass rush moves, a great go-to move, the speed and flexibility to run the arc, the agility to give OTs fits on inside moves and games, and enough power to hold up on the edge. He needs to play with more consistent leverage as a run defender and improve his play recognition, but he has the ability to be an impact pass rusher.

Chris Rumph - I hate myself for liking him so much because he seems like the sort of player who always gets me in trouble (guy lacking in certain physical attributes who is a great football player). He is very undersized and may need to play an off-the-ball LB role, but I love his instincts, his motor, his polished technique, and his advanced pass rush plans. Issue is that he just doesn't have the size or power to counter well when an OL gets the upper hand early in the rep.

Joe Tryon - I really dig his game. He has the potential to do it all. Has the frame to add weight and the strength and length to defend the run well. As a pass rusher, he has the get-off, speed, and enough flexibility to threaten the edge. But his heavy hands, savvy approach, and underrated power game make him the sort of edge rusher who can also go through an OT. 

LB

Pete Werner - He's my favorite of the Day 2 LBs. He's a true three-down player with underrated athleticism. He can run sideline to sideline, defeat blocks in the hole, cover TEs in M2M, and adeptly play zone coverage. The only thing he lacks is the quick-twitch athleticism to handle quick HBs and slot WRs. But I love him as a 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 MLB in a scheme that plays a lot of zone coverage. He's such a reliable, consistent player. 

Isaiah McDuffie - He's an overlooked guy who has some inconsistencies when it comes to reading his keys, but he was a major surprise in how good he is at defeating blocks for a guy who is an undersized, speedy LB (6'1" 225). He uses his quickness and hands well to keep blockers off of him and has the speed and agility to thrive in coverage. Seems like a guy who will be an outstanding special teamer early on with the potential to be a quality starter as a weakside LB.

Tony Fields II - He's going to have coverage challenges outside of a zone-heavy scheme and is never going to be adept at fighting off blockers, but his play recognition skills, speed, and tackling ability make him a guy who can be a good defender on the weakside of a defense. His tightness in his lower half will make him less valuable to teams that run a lot of M2M, but with a team that uses a lot of zone, he should be a capable pass defender.

CB

Aaron Robinson - He's one of the best pure cover CBs in this class, is scheme versatile, and can play both inside and out. His ball-skills aren't elite, but he's a physical player who tackles well, has the quickness and speed to stay in WRs' hip pockets, and the recognition to play any type of coverage well. While he's slightly undersized and not very long, he has the quickness and physicality to press well. 

Shakur Brown - Unfortunately, unlike Robinson, I have some doubts as to Shakur's scheme versatility. He is not nearly as comfortable playing off, especially in zone, as he is pressing. He seems a step behind in terms of recognition in off coverage. But when he's pressing, he's a physical player with outstanding ball-skills, the quickness and cover skills to stay in phase with the WR, and the instincts to get turned and find the ball just at the right moment. He has the potential to be an absolute nuisance in the slot for a team that presses a lot.

S

Ar'Darius Washington - A lot of teams are going to pass on him because of his size (5'8" 180), but this dude is going to be a baller for somebody at either safety or slot CB. This is a guy who has the quickness, tackling ability, and natural cover skills to be a quality starter at slot CB and the range, instincts, and ball-skills to play single-high safety effectively. He's fearless running the alley and tackles well in space. His lack of size makes it hard for him to fight off blocks, but it's hard not to love his physicality, energy, and versatility.

Paris Ford - Ford is a boom/bust pick. He's either going to be an absolute impact player in the NFL, or he's going to be a guy who never holds on to a starting job. He's a playmaker who plays a physical brand of football, uses his instincts to force game-changing turnovers in the passing game, and plays downhill like a freight train. But while he makes a lot of plays, his gambling, poor angles, and out of control play also lead to him giving up a good amount of plays. If a DB Coach can develop most of the negative plays out of his system, he can be a top tier safety in the NFL.

Damar Hamlin - Yep, I like both Pitt safeties. I felt Damar was misused a bit by Pitt. They had him covering slot WRs pretty often. While he's capable at it, I think his best play will come in a split-safety scheme. Damar lays the lumber when he comes downhill, but he's less prone to bad angles and fly-by missed tackles than his teammate. He's not as much of a playmaker in the passing game, but he's a smart, reliable defender with the instincts, range, and ball-skills to do quite well in split-safety looks.

I forgot one player:

TE

Kylen Granson - At 6'2" 240, he's undersized and limited to a move/slot TE type role, but he has a trait that not many TEs in this class have, separation quickness. His route running needs polish. He's never going to have the size and strength to be a guy you want doing a lot of inline blocking, but he's a willing blocker who gives plenty of effort. But with more nuance and physicality in his routes, he can be a real mismatch in the passing game. He's also a guy who has the speed to threaten the seam, reliable mitts, and solid YAC skills. I think Jacob Tamme is a good comparison for him.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, LinebackerGod said:

1. Sam Ehlinger. I hate this QB class outside of the 1st round. Ehlinger is like the only guy that intrigues me in the later rounds. He's got a good arm and a great NFL frame. He runs hard and is reportedly a great leader and a fierce competitor. I know he's got wonky mechanics and isn't consistently accurate with the football, but I think he's got as good of a shot as anyone outside of the 1st round to be a good starter. He reminds me of Tim Tebow a bit, not that it's a good thing. I just like Ehlinger a lot, even if his NFL prospects aren't that great.

Wonky mechanics is an understatement. He just isnt a good enough thrower of the football to make it in the league. 

He is a gamer, good athlete, good leader, bad QB. 

I think his mechanics are far too wrong to be correctable. To me, I think his ceiling is an athletic backup, which he would be fine if you are looking for a 'break glass in case of emergency PS QB' or something along those lines. I wouldnt draft him. 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Wonky mechanics is an understatement. He just isnt a good enough thrower of the football to make it in the league. 

He is a gamer, good athlete, good leader, bad QB. 

I think his mechanics are far too wrong to be correctable. To me, I think his ceiling is an athletic backup, which he would be fine if you are looking for a 'break glass in case of emergency PS QB' or something along those lines. I wouldnt draft him. 

Yeah I get that. I tend to crush hard for these strong running QBs with big arms and terribad mechanics.

I liked Tim Tebow. Loved Eric Dungey. Those kinds of QBs give me the tingles, even tho deep down I know they’ll probably struggle in the NFL. 

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Carter

Jaret Patterson

Tylan Wallace

D’Wayne Eskridge

Liam Eichenberg

Quinn Meinerz

Landon Dickerson

Creed Humphrey

Ben Cleveland 

Kenny Yeboah (value pick)

Jaelan Phillips

Rashad Weaver

J. Owusu-Koramoah 

Elijah Molden

Kelvin Joseph 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

Tommy Tremble. Love his game.

One of my favorites too. At a minimum, you're going to have a punishing blocker. But when you watch the film, his athleticism doesn't match his receiving production. He's actually a very good athlete, so if you can tap into that and polish his game, you could very well have a Brent Celek type TE (great blocker and a good receiver).

• Like 1