Draft Talk

onejayhawk

This is a thread for links to articles and mock drafts. According to PFF, the Chiefs and Bucs have drafted best over the last four years. Obviously, a big part of that is Pat Mahomes.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-historical-draft-success-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Here is a group of expert picks for #31.

Player & Position

School

Source

OL Wyatt Davis Ohio State Luke Easterling – Draft Wire
C Landon Dickerson Alabama Doug Farrar – Touchdown Wire
OT Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State Nate Davis – USA TODAY
CB Greg Newsome II Northwestern Charley Casserly – NFL.com
OT Walker Little Stanford Mel Kiper, Jr. – ESPN.com
C Creed Humphrey Oklahoma Michael Fabiano – Sports Illustrated
OT Jackson Carman Clemson Chris Trapasso – CBS Sports
OL Alijah Vera-Tucker USC Anthony Treash – Pro Football Focus

Injury  update. Mahomes had surgery on his toe. That is about a 90 day recovery time. He should ready for mini camp. Schwartz had back surgery and Fisher had Achilles surgery. Both are now projected for mid-August. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_gm_brett_veach_hopeful_to_have_mahomes_schwartz_fisher_healthy_for_training_camp/s1_16631_34238198

J

3 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I’d be pretty shocked if Fisher is back.   I hope they don’t rush it,   Very good chance the other snaps,  even greater chance if they rush recovery.   

I think he'll do something to lower his cap hit and then we'll hope to have him back for the playoffs. Whether that's as a starter or depth, who knows.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I’d be pretty shocked if Fisher is back.   I hope they don’t rush it,   Very good chance the other snaps,  even greater chance if they rush recovery.   

I just try to remember whether the Chiefs ever confirmed it is a complete achilles TEAR. As far as I remember they always talked of an achilles INJURY. If he really tore it I have a hard time to believe he'll be ready for day one, and even more so for TC.

39 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

I just try to remember whether the Chiefs ever confirmed it is a complete achilles TEAR. As far as I remember they always talked of an achilles INJURY. If he really tore it I have a hard time to believe he'll be ready for day one, and even more so for TC.

Rupture, strain, tear.    All have different degrees on recovery time table.   Just seems to be a trend that once one goes, the other isn’t far behind.  Especially if rushed through recovery.  I trust our doctors,  I don’t think I’ll ever get past the fear it’s gonna go at any minute,  if we do sign him to an extension though.    

Honestly I might trust the Back Injury of Schwartz to hold up better long term 

12 hours ago, samsel23 said:

That's the timetable they are giving. How well rehab goes is another issue. He is 30+. 

7 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Rupture, strain, tear.    All have different degrees on recovery time table.   Just seems to be a trend that once one goes, the other isn’t far behind.  Especially if rushed through recovery.  I trust our doctors,  I don’t think I’ll ever get past the fear it’s gonna go at any minute,  if we do sign him to an extension though.    Honestly I might trust the Back Injury of Schwartz to hold up better long term 

I don't trust either long term. In both cases the injury will probably affect the rest of their career. 

In Schwartz' case, a six month rehab is not unexpected. Fisher, a bit less so. 

J

Thoughts on Florida State safety Hamsah Nasirildeen? I like the idea of Nasirildeen eventually filling the role that Sorenson does for our defense. He has size and length combined with a very good athletic profile.

• Height: 6’3 1/8″
  • Weight: 213 pounds
  • Wingspan: 82 3/4″
  • Arm: 34 1/4″
  • Hand: 10″

He projects to bring assignment versatility in coverage and run defense which really seems to be a plus for our defense. Sorenson's skill set and limitations may end up making a return to the Chiefs on a 1 year deal a possibility. Having a player like Nasirildeen on the roster could provide the defense with a long term solution to the role Sorenson filled. Thoughts?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on Florida State safety Hamsah Nasirildeen? I like the idea of Nasirildeen eventually filling the role that Sorenson does for our defense. He has size and length combined with a very good athletic profile.

• Height: 6’3 1/8″
  • Weight: 213 pounds
  • Wingspan: 82 3/4″
  • Arm: 34 1/4″
  • Hand: 10″

He projects to bring assignment versatility in coverage and run defense which really seems to be a plus for our defense. Sorenson's skill set and limitations may end up making a return to the Chiefs on a 1 year deal a possibility. Having a player like Nasirildeen on the roster could provide the defense with a long term solution to the role Sorenson filled. Thoughts?

Whoa, long time no see, Welcome back!

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 2

He tore an ACL in 2019. I think we can do better.

There are an assortment of Safeties available that I like: Jevon Holland, Talanoa Hufanga, Joshuah Bledsoe, and Darrick Forest,

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

He tore an ACL in 2019. I think we can do better.

There are an assortment of Safeties available that I like: Jevon Holland, Talanoa Hufanga, Joshuah Bledsoe, and Darrick Forest,

Just wondering,  do you remove any player that has had surgery?  

Here is a new round of projected first round picks, all Edge and OL except one WR. 

Player & Position

School

Source

LB Nick Bolton Missouri Todd McShay – ESPN
OL Alijah Vera-Tucker USC Drae Edwards – The Draft Network
WR Rashod Bateman Minnesota Trevor Sikkema – The Draft Network
EDGE Jayson Oweh Penn State Chris Trapasso – CBS Sports
EDGE Azeez Ojulari Georgia Ryan Wilson – CBS Sports
C Josh Myers Ohio State Josh Edwards – CBS Sports
EDGE Azeez Ojulari Georgia Cynthia Frelund – NFL.com
OT Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State Ryan Roberts – Sports Illustrated

From TheDraftnetwork.com:

Hamsah Nasirildeen was one of my favorite players from the summer’s film study. He has outstanding size, length, and movement skills. Nasirildeen is a versatile defender who can fill multiple roles for a defense. He has outstanding range in pursuit in the running game and is a strong tackler. Nasirildeen has good instincts; he also reads the run well and closes downhill quickly. He can easily match up with tight ends or running backs and has a rare change of direction for a player his size. There are some injury concerns that will follow Nasirildeen. He tore his ACL late in the 2019 season and only played two games in 2020 due to the lingering rehab process. He also doesn’t have the best ball skills and may be a liability covering the deep third as a single-high safety. I believe he is best used near the line of scrimmage where he can move around and make plays due to his athletic ability and length. This is a very high upside player. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/weissman-s-top-5-safeties