Draft Talk

onejayhawk

Was more talking about the flexibility on the tall WR’s, in regards the route running.    The vertical is fine.   But the tall ones typically don’t have the flexion to break in and out of routes in Andy’s scheme.   Nothing wrong with the size,  just not exactly a player that will thrive in our scheme.     Mainly just talking 6’5+ receivers,    It’s pretty rare any of them are able to break in and out of routes.

I may look at one or two more guys but I'm done scouting. Likely for good, but who knows what next year will bring.

Here's my top 5 guys at each position that I think would best fit us. If they are a consensus top 20 pick they will be excluded. So no Sewell, Pitts, Chase, etc. The list is in alphabetical order by last name.

QB: I don't care

RB: Kylin Hill, Jermar Jefferson, Jaret Patterson

WR: Josh Imatorbhebhe, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Terrace Marshall Jr, Anthony Schwartz, Tamorrion Terry

TE: Pat Freiermuth, Noah Gray, Hunter Long, Tre McKitty, Tommy Tremble

OL: Sam Cosmi, James Hudson, Walker Little, Josh Myers, Alijah Vera-Tucker

DL: Carlos Basham Jr, Mustafa Johnson, Patrick Jones, Elerson Smith, Payton Turner

LB: Zaven Collins, Patrick Johnson, Cam McGrone, Ventrell Miller, Micah Parsons

DB: Paulson Adebo, Robert Rochell, Asante Samuel Jr, Ambry Thomas, Shawn Wade

Out of these, my top 5 options for pick 31 in alphabetical order: Zaven Collins, Sam Cosmi, Walker Little, Terrace Marshall Jr, Micah Parsons

Two names may stand out.

First, Micah Parsons. He's no longer a consensus top pick due to "character concerns". I wouldn't be surprised if it's just smoke and someone is hoping he slides.

Second, Elerson Smith. I recently checked him out and liked what I saw. So he made my list mostly due to recency bias. But his tape was good, his numbers are great, and I think he has good potential. Check him out.

13 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Out of these, my top 5 options for pick 31 in alphabetical order: Zaven Collins, Sam Cosmi, Walker Little, Terrace Marshall Jr, Micah Parsons

Good stuff. i'd skip Little myself. Not a good bounce back from injury IMO. Concentrate on the others.

Starting to worry that the temptation to skip OT in round 1 and go after it later is getting to Veach. Would be a huge mistake IMO.

Even if it is a deep class for tackles, the bottom of the 2nd are generally not day 1 starting talent, it's more of a crap shoot for talent than the earlier picks, and you're still openly admitting to passing on better tackles because you don't think WR or DE or whatever is as deep. I hate this approach to drafting in general. It's very lackadaisical and half baked.

I'm hoping Veach is zoning in on all the potential day 1 starting left tackles in this draft, use his resources as GM to figure out who our guy is, and then do whatever necessary to get our guy. Cause we need a player at left tackle, not just a pick. Just letting the board work it's magic leaves you with the leftovers imo. And I don't care if our LE isn't up to shape if Mahomes gets a clean pocket to do his thing in, he's going to smackdown any competition. It's just reality, he's like 5 levels above any other player ever at his age.

I agree that any day two OT picks are unlikely to be day one starters, but that's true of #31 as well. As I see it, they have three options:

1. Start someone already on the roster at LT. Remmers is capable of covering RT for a year, but not LT.
  2. Draft Little or Eichenberg and hope they are up to playing LT. These are the only prospects, after the big three, ready enough to consider an immediate starter at LT. 
  3. Rent a veteran for a year. 

Since they have not yet rented a veteran, the first two options seem to be in play.

In more general terms, here is an article of some non-OT, non-DE options at #31--Trevon Moehrig, Christian Barmore, Spencer Brown, Asante Samuel, Stone Forsythe, Creed Humphrey.  A couple I would seriously consider, but not others. In particular, OTs Brown and Forsythe would be at least a full round early, possibly two. Barmore is redundant and half a round early. 

Moehrig, if he's still on the board, makes good sense in a year ahead vein. Sorensen is on a one year contract and Mathieu is on his last year. If this will be the Landlord's final year, TM is a suitable replacement. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2021-nfl-draft-surprise-first-round-prospects/

J

On 4/15/2021 at 2:02 AM, kingseanjohn said:

I may look at one or two more guys but I'm done scouting. Likely for good, but who knows what next year will bring.

Here's my top 5 guys at each position that I think would best fit us. If they are a consensus top 20 pick they will be excluded. So no Sewell, Pitts, Chase, etc. The list is in alphabetical order by last name.

QB: I don't care

RB: Kylin Hill, Jermar Jefferson, Jaret Patterson

WR: Josh Imatorbhebhe, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Terrace Marshall Jr, Anthony Schwartz, Tamorrion Terry

TE: Pat Freiermuth, Noah Gray, Hunter Long, Tre McKitty, Tommy Tremble

OL: Sam Cosmi, James Hudson, Walker Little, Josh Myers, Alijah Vera-Tucker

DL: Carlos Basham Jr, Mustafa Johnson, Patrick Jones, Elerson Smith, Payton Turner

LB: Zaven Collins, Patrick Johnson, Cam McGrone, Ventrell Miller, Micah Parsons

DB: Paulson Adebo, Robert Rochell, Asante Samuel Jr, Ambry Thomas, Shawn Wade

Well well, some awesome names on there. Here's my notes;

- I think WRs should mostly be available, apart from Marshall Jnr. He seems to be mocked to Baltimore a lot. Imatorbe will be there end of 2, or even 3

- TE list is identical to mine. I can't see us drafting one though.

- Vera Tucker is a top 20 pick, but Cosmi is really interesting me now. I think I want Cosmi. He can play T and G and he's very athletic

- Parsons will be long gone. Falling or not, he can't get past 15th pick, surely? Dude is a freak. I just hope Denver or LA don't pick him. One of few that could stick with Trav

MOCK DRAFT RESULTSpff.com/mockDRAFT

31 Teven Jenkins T • Oklahoma State

63 Jamin Davis LB • Kentucky

94 Stone Forsythe T • Florida

100 Jamar Johnson S • Indiana

Trade Received 100 for 136, 144

175 Shaka Toney ED • Penn State

181 Aaron Banks G • Notre Dame

207 Shi Smith WR • South Carolina

Overall Kansas City Chiefs B

Well, some of those players won't be there! But this just passed 5 mins. Double dipped at T

Here is an article concerning the size of the draft class. Basically, a lot more players than usual are returning for another year. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/16/kansas-city-chiefs-2021-nfl-draft-one-reason-not-to-trade-down/

Fun fact: Four current Chiefs were selected #63--Willie Gay, Juan Thornhill, Frank Clark, Travis Kelce. with company like that, maybe Gay will come around.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

I would be down with Sam Cosmi with our first pick. I know I want a LT. Also, if there is any situation where Penei Sewell falls out of the top 10, Brett Veach needs to pull the trigger on a trade to go up and get him.

I'm fine putting safety off for another year. Even if we don't retain honey badger or Dan sorensen, juan thornhill was a rookie pro bowler and is solid. Maybe Brett veach best pick as GM.

Thoughts on UCF wide receiver Jacob Harris as a developmental X wide receiver or bulk up a bit as a flex tight end (think Darren Waller)?

From his Pro Day:

The 6-5, 219-pounder caught the attention of many of the representatives from all 32 NFL teams on hand at Nicholson Fieldhouse when he ran the 40-yard dash in a blazing 4.39 seconds. “I didn’t surpass my expectations, but I wanted to run a little bit faster than that,” said Harris, who declared for the NFL draft after three seasons with the Knights. “I’m happy with how the day went. There’s not much I can complain about.” Harris also recorded an 11-foot, 1-inch broad jump, posted a 40.5-inch vertical jump and performed 15 repetitions with 225 pounds on the bench press.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-football-pro-day-20210402-zzrk7n5d3nejtebhp6ic7a2yei-story.html

18 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'm liking Spencer Brown more and more. Good ProDay. Comparable to Leatherwood yet more agile.

My concerns with Brown are exclusive experience is at right tackle and at a small program against lesser competition. He will likely need some time to gain weight and strength to anchor against NFL talent. He seems like a developmental tackle that would be best served getting slowly acclimated to the NFL and not expected to get significant playing time until year 2 at the earliest.

• Like 1