Draft Talk

onejayhawk

Veach has performed five draft-day trades as Chiefs GM. In every instance, he was moving up in the draft order to select a prospect.

In 2018, their first scheduled selection was originally the 54th overall pick. However, Veach decided to trade that pick and the 78th overall selection for pick No. 46 and a third-round slot: the 100th overall pick. They used pick No. 46 to select the aforementioned Speaks.

Later in that draft, Veach traded pick No. 86 and No. 122 to move up to the 75th overall selection and take defensive tackle Derrick Nnadi. Then, he sent away two seventh-round picks to make an additional selection in the sixth-round: offensive guard Khalil McKenzie.

To make their first selection in 2019, they traded pick No. 61 and a fifth-round selection to move up five spots in the second-round and take wide receiver Mecole Hardman.

In 2020, they traded a future sixth-round pick to add a seventh-round pick after initially using all of their 2020 selections. They drafted cornerback BoPete Keyes with that pick.

Not the best history of trading up. Nnadi was good, Hardman is debatable, Keyes is too soon to tell but I'm leaning negative so far. Speaks and McKenzie obviously didn't work out.

15 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

It might be worth noting, Jody Fortson has officially switched to TE.   Probably still a long shot,  but his chances of developing are better there 

I was wondering about that. He was a TE in college, who tried to retool as WR. Since Fortson impressed in camp last year, I am guessing Ricky Seals-Jones' days are numbered. 

J

19 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

It might be worth noting, Jody Fortson has officially switched to TE.   Probably still a long shot,  but his chances of developing are better there 

I've been saying we should use him as a WR/TE hybrid. Hopefully he makes it as the #3 so we can finally know for sure.

With the Brown trade OT is officially off the list for an early pick. Thus I think we are down to WR, DE, or LB for the two 2nd rounders? And if the Chiefs are really THAT hign on Pringel  ... well ...

EDIT: Forgot CB  ... hope this will fix that!

Edited by KC_Guy

Just checked the numbers ... bottom line the Chiefs gave up a mid second round pick for Brown fixing a position of need with a proven player. I like that.

Seems to be a Veach approach: Fix core positions with proven players, not rely on the draft. Fill out the roster with draft picks. If you hit: No need to do the former for a while.

The only issue I see: this may lead to cap issues sooner or later  ... but if the Chiefs grab three Lombardis until then ... I'm more than fine with it.

I just noticed how much this draft will resemble the 2018 draft in terms of picks and draft capital available.  

2018 - 2:24, 2:31, 3:32, 6:29, 6:42, 7:02
2021 - 2:26, 2:31, 4:39, 5:31, 5:37, 6:23

We don't have a 3rd round pick anymore, offset by no 4th in 2018, but the late picks are moved up a bit. We went into 2018 with more picks, trading up multiple times. These are where we wound up. I hope we get similar results without spending extra.

J

Is Elijah Moore the wide receiver prospect that could give our offense the explosiveness we were hoping to consistently get from Mecole Hardman? Much better route runner, good hands, the prerequisite blazing speed and shifty athleticism. I am not sure he will be there when we pick in round 2, but if he is, he might be hard to pass on.

Thoughts on Texas EDGE Joseph Ossai? He might be gone before our second round picks but he has some definite potential as a developmental pass rusher. He doesn't have the size profile that Spags seems to prefer, but has a very solid athletic profile. I am not sure Basham and Turner will still be available and both seem to fit the Spags preference better than Ossai.

IF Wharton ends up getting a shot at starting at DE, maybe Ossai could give some pass rushing rotational value along with Danna.

In addition, could Ossai be a possible option long term as a SAM with some pass rushing juice?