Draft Talk

onejayhawk

19 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Just wondering,  do you remove any player that has had surgery?  

I consider them "damaged goods". Longevity in the NFL is certainly affected IMO. Age, Injury history, abilities, all play a part. Is why Eric Berry had to ultimately bow out. (i'm sure i could name others, but why beat a dead horse?)

I did list some other Safeties i would consider. They are all good. I especially like Talanoa Hufanga/USC. The point is, why settle for an injured draft pic when there are others that can "fill the bill"?

Edited by mayanfootball

5 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Nah, they're moved to the DISCOUNT isle.

Eric Berry kind of disproves this tbh.   Berry came in with 0 health issues,   And had terrible luck in the NFL.   It’s football,  not very many position players go through their career without a lengthy injury.    Taking them off greatly reduces the talent pool,   And taking healthy guys has the same risk of injury.. as long as the reevaluation of previous injury comes clean. 

Under these same guidelines Kelce and Mathieu would have never been given a chance.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Under these same guidelines Kelce and Mathieu would have never been given a chance.   

Berry was great post draft. AFTER Berry got hurt with KC, was what I was referring to. He was on the roster then off the roster. Hurt then not hurt. He fought hard but was never the same player afterwards.

Kelce was ours then got hurt and recovered nicely. We are blessed to have such fortune. He been a stud superstar ever since.

Mathieu tore his left ACL and LCL in 2013. He had a so-so 2014 also sustaining a thumb injury. In 2015 he sustained a torn ACL in his right leg. He must have accomplished much as he was named 1st. team All-Pro safety. 2016 was a tough year. He sustained a shoulder injury. He missed some games and tried tp come back for 2 of the last 6 games but struggled. Finally he was placed on injured reserve. 2017 saw Mathieu have another so-so season.  In 2018 he signed with the Houston Texans. He had a good season with 2 int's, 89 tackles, 3 sacks.

KC signed Mathieu in 2019. He's played in "all" games (except 2020 finale), and has had 10 int's over both seasons.

I guess I'd say Mathieu proved himself before signing with KC. The Chiefs rewarded him for his work with a 3year, 42 million contract. The Chiefs have played in 2 straight Super Bowls while T.Mathieu has been here.

As far as injury history's go, Mathieu has been the Exception rather than the Rule. I'd say both Kelce and Mathieu have been given a chance and they've paid off handsomely.

Edited by mayanfootball

I think it is effectively settled that Mayan will not consider an injured player unless and until he has played effectively again. He even says to separate them from the regular players. 

For the record, round 5 and later is the bargain basement. 

J

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

For the record, round 5 and later is the bargain basement. 

Sorry J., for the record Hamsah Nasirildeen is a 3rd.rd. prospect.

92. Hamsah Nasirildeen S Florida State; thedraftnetwork

And as I stated, there are MANY healthy safeties I'd love to have before I'd pick Nasirildeen. Again I really like T. Hufanga, USC

A mid-round prospect that has experience as an edge rusher and inside linebacker is Purdue's Derrick Barnes. Known as very physical at the point of attack, he could be a developmental option as an eventual replacement for Hitchens on the inside or possibly be a long term option on the outside. I like the idea of him having some success rushing the passer, which would give our defense some versatility and variety on where the pressure comes from on passing downs.

From the Senior Bowl:

Derrick Barnes | LB | Purdue
Height: 6 feet, 0 1/2 inches
Weight: 245
Wingspan: 81 5/8 inches
Arm length: 33 inches
Hand size: 8 6/8 inches

Other articles:

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2021/2/15/22284141/purdue-football-derrick-barnes-moving-up-draft-boards

https://saturdaytradition.com/purdue-football/draft-analyst-says-purdue-lb-having-strong-showing-during-senior-bowl-workouts/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/derrick-barnes-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-interview

Edited by nicfre2011

Tre McKitty, TE, Georgia is a prospect that could provide us with some developmental depth behind  Kelce. He didn't have a ton of production while at Florida State or Georgia, he he has a very solid athletic profile as a receiving threat from the position and could even potentially play some H-back in our offense. The Chiefs have reportedly shown interest in Miami tight end Brevin Jordan, McKitty could potentially provide a similar positional projection later in the draft.

From Senior Bowl:

Tre' McKitty | TE | Georgia
Height: 6 feet, 4 1/8 inches
Weight: 247
Wingspan: 81 inches
Arm length: 32 1/4 inches
Hand size: 11 inches

Other articles:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-te-tre-mckitty-georgia

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tre-mckitty-nfl-draft-player-profile-georgia-tight-end/

https://247sports.com/Article/Georgia-Bulldogs-TE-Tre-McKitty-improves-draft-stock-at-Senior-Bowl-NFL-Draft-2021-160387487/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tre-mckitty/EHjGWRABF6

Barnes has size issues, but you have to like the blitz potential. I wish I was more confident in his coverage. Day #3 we could do that.

I have less trouble with McKitty, since he is rated as Day #3. It's a blocking TE write up and we need one guy to replace two part timers. 

J

57 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Barnes has size issues, but you have to like the blitz potential. I wish I was more confident in his coverage. Day #3 we could do that.

I have less trouble with McKitty, since he is rated as Day #3. It's a blocking TE write up and we need one guy to replace two part timers. 

J

Regarding Barnes as a full-time edge rusher in a 4-3, I definitely agree he doesn't have the prerequisite size, but as a linebacker prospect with schematic blitz potential, I think he is an intriguing prospect. Hitchens is listed at 6'0", 235 lbs and Damien Wilson is listed at 6'0", 245 lbs so Barnes is definitely comparable and likely has more length, athleticism, and blitz potential than either Hitchens or Wilson.

Edited by nicfre2011

On 3/5/2021 at 6:29 PM, samsel23 said:

Just wondering,  do you remove any player that has had surgery?  

The Chiefs certainly do, the Lucas Niang selection is the first time in Andy Reid’s tenure that they’ve drafted a player who had surgery/injury concerns just before the draft. 

seriously go back since 2013, we don’t even gamble our late round picks on pre-injured draft picks. Heck we don’t really draft injury prone guys in general. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

The Chiefs certainly do, the Lucas Niang selection is the first time in Andy Reid’s tenure that they’ve drafted a player who had surgery/injury concerns just before the draft. 

seriously go back since 2013, we don’t even gamble our late round picks on pre-injured draft picks. Heck we don’t really draft injury prone guys in general. 

Fair enough,   we certainly haven't done it often.    I think Dadi Nicholas had an issue that caused him to drop in 2016.

But solid point!