Draft Talk

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm not a big fan of Leatherwood on our line. But I do like Carman.

Why not Leatherwood? I think he moves well and I don't think he is a type-cast prospect for a power blocking scheme only. I don't think he is limited in that regard...just like Carman.

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Osemele came into the “zone blocking” scheme and fit like a glove.  

They may be more suited for power,  but they can definitely excel in a zone and it actually be more beneficial.  Helps to have at least one guy clearing guys out, regardless if the rest are positional blocking. 

Good points.

Zone blocking is easy to learn, but difficult to play well. Veterans pick it up much more easily than rookies. 

I like Carman, but not in the first two rounds. A power blocking team will ****** him up before we are ready to pull the trigger. As a rule, I would much rather have Cosmi than either Leatherwood or Carman. Eichenberg is a good technician, but i question his ability on the left side in the NFL. If we want specifically a LT, then we should target Little and prepare for his rehab downtime. 

J

The official draft order is finally out. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/19/kansas-city-chiefs-eight-2021-draft-picks-full-order-revealed/

Round 1, Pick 31
Round 2, Pick 63
Round 3, Pick 94
Round 4, Pick 136
Round 4, Pick 144 (Kendall Fuller comp pick)
Round 5, Pick 175
Round 5, Pick 181 (Emmanuel Ogbah comp pick)
Round 6, Pick 207 (Acquired in trade for RB DeAndre Washington).

The Chiefs need a box safety. Dan Sorensen is a free agent. Even if they sign him, he is 31 years old and plays all the ST snaps in addition to defense. We need to draft or sign his replacement or at least an understudy. One caveat, UDFA Rodney Clemons spent the season on PS, but may be that guy. We will see how much he has learned.

This article talks of the safeties currently on the roster, including Clemons.  
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/3/19/22336612/what-the-chiefs-should-do-at-safety

J

54 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Terry could be a good fit for us in the middle rounds.

Right now with our needs/picks, I would take him as high as 63. But a lot will depend on how the board falls. I think he will go early 3rd but should be higher.

Also, I haven't had time to take a good look yet, but here's Nasirildeen's numbers.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Right now with our needs/picks, I would take him as high as 63. But a lot will depend on how the board falls. I think he will go early 3rd but should be higher.

Also, I haven't had time to take a good look yet, but here's Nasirildeen's numbers.

If Nasirildeen's medical exam checks out, I could see him as the long term replacement for Daniel Sorenson....hopefully sooner rather than later.

19 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

If Nasirildeen's medical exam checks out, I could see him as the long term replacement for Daniel Sorenson....hopefully sooner rather than later.

I don't care for Nasirildeen. He's risky IMO. There's too many HEALTHY Safety's with similar backgrounds

Nasirildeen tore his ACL late in the 2019 season in a non-contact situation and the recovery sidelined him for all but two games in 2020.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

I don't mind the discounted value, since he's at least a round lower than he would be with a clean bill. Sorensen is back on a one year deal, so he would not need to play right away. 

Of more interest is the FA list at DE, where Tanoh Kpassagnon is still sitting. Unless we re-sign him, or someone comparable, we will need a ready to play edge rusher at #31. Even if we do sign him, we should draft a player or two. 

J