Draft Talk

onejayhawk

On 3/28/2021 at 1:12 PM, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on Milton Williams from Louisiana Tech as a defensive line prospect who could potentially play base defensive end for us and slide inside to bring some interior pressure on 3rd and long.

He had a really impressive Pro Day workout, showing tremendous athletic ability.

From Tony Pauline:

At 284 pounds, Williams touched 38.5 inches in the vertical, 10’1″ in the broad jump, and he completed 34 reps on the bench. His 40 timed as low as 4.62 seconds while his three-cone was an amazing 6.93 seconds. To put that time into context, just a half dozen defensive backs who ran the three-cone during the 2020 NFL Combine posted faster times.

Williams’ position work was outstanding as well. Defensive line coaches from the Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, and Cincinnati Bengals took turns putting Williams through drills. Cowboys assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett was also in attendance.

While Dallas has Williams highly graded, the question is how early in the draft would they select him? Word leaving the workout was the Bengals will seriously consider Williams at the top of the third round with the 69th selection, which is six picks before the Cowboys pick in round three.

From PFF:

DI MILTON WILLIAMS, LOUISIANA TECH

Williams was a PFF darling this past season, notching 88.0-plus grades as both a run defender and a pass rusher — the only player at the position to do so. That landed him a spot on the PFF College 101 and put him on draft radars across the country.

With no NFL scouting combine this year due to COVID-19, Williams was forced to rely on a mock combine run by athletic training company EXOS. He subsequently put up ridiculous numbers that people had a hard time believing. So, Williams went ahead and tested again at Louisiana Tech’s Pro Day and recorded the following results (percentiles are historical at the position):

Height: 6-foot-3 (50th percentile)

Weight: 284 pounds (17th)

Arm: 31 1/2 inches (5th)

Vertical: 38.5 inches (99th)

Broad jump: 121 inches (97th)

Bench: 34 reps (91st)

40-yard: 4.62 seconds (99th)

Short shuttle: 4.25 seconds (97th)

Three-cone: 6.87 seconds (100th)

Among all 280-plus-pound defensive linemen at the NFL scouting combine in the past 20 years, Williams' 40-yard dash and three-cone times would rank as the best on record and his vertical would rank second-best. A year ago, Williams wasn’t even in the draft conversation. After the 2020 season, it looked like he could be a good pick in the middle of Day 3. Now, he could be the second interior defensive linemen off the board in the late second or early third round. It’s safe to buy into the hype with Williams.

Yeah he's going to be a steal for sure

On 3/27/2021 at 6:49 PM, nicfre2011 said:

I am not a huge fan of Dillon Radunz....I think he is getting overvalued by people looking for that small school gold. I am not saying he couldn't develop into a quality NFL player in time, I just don't agree with him being ranked ahead of some prospects with a better athletic profile and starting for a major program against top level college talent.

So many people have us picking him.

Which is good, because it means we won't. Everyone is wrong about mocks, all the time.

I think Radunz had his 15 minutes of fame, which is now over. While he played LT, most see him as a RT/OG sort of player. He's also not a good fit for us, since he's more suited to a power scheme than ZBS. At this point, he seems to rank around #45. I would rather wait a round, or two, and get a developmental type, like Jaylon Moore. 

J

52 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I think Radunz had his 15 minutes of fame, which is now over. While he played LT, most see him as a RT/OG sort of player. He's also not a good fit for us, since he's more suited to a power scheme than ZBS. At this point, he seems to rank around #45. I would rather wait a round, or two, and get a developmental type, like Jaylon Moore. 

J

I am not a fan of Radunz either. I actually think he is more of a ZBS type of tackle from a movement standpoint but needs alot of physical development needed to handle the pro game from both a pass blocking and especially a run blocking standpoint.

2 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

I think Cosmi is a legit target at 31, he had a great pro day. People question his strength but I think once he’s in a weight room he’ll be fine. 

36 reps at the weights. While great, Cosmi's issue lays in his lower half. He need to get stronger there. He'll fill out with time. But yes, i'm warming up to him

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Gut feeling here...I think Marshall could be a legit target for the Chiefs in round 1, so I am starting to prep for the possibilty of the selection. They no doubt took notice of him when scouting CEH and when combined with Reid's courting of Smith-Shuster....Big Boss obviously wants his passing game weapons.

29 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

36 reps at the weights. While great, Cosmi's issue lays in his lower half. He need to get stronger there. He'll fill out with time. But yes, i'm warming up to him

Cosmi would be a really good option for us at LT. His movement skills would be a ++ for us, not to mention he would likely benefit from a veteran technician like Thuney at LG.

3 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Not sure how I haven't seen this until now. Although I don't do a lot of character scouting unless there's a glaring red flag. Makes me want him a little more.

46 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Gut feeling here...I think Marshall could be a legit target for the Chiefs in round 1, so I am starting to prep for the possibilty of the selection. They no doubt took notice of him when scouting CEH and when combined with Reid's courting of Smith-Shuster....Big Boss obviously wants his passing game weapons.

I still think Marshall is being underrated and forgotten in this deep class. I have Zaven Collins and Marshall as my 1a/1b for who I want at 31. I think we can get a good OT in the 2nd; hoping for Little atm.

58 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I still think Marshall is being underrated and forgotten in this deep class. I have Zaven Collins and Marshall as my 1a/1b for who I want at 31. I think we can get a good OT in the 2nd; hoping for Little atm.

I agree with you about Marshall. I am trying to reconcile Collins as a potential target as a SAM...not sure the skill set matches our scheme (if it does) or if the team values a SAM in round 1 (doubtful Collins is available at our round 2 pick). vs. someone like Derrick Barnes later.

2 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Cosmi would be a really good option for us at LT. His movement skills would be a ++ for us, not to mention he would likely benefit from a veteran technician like Thuney at LG.

Yeah i mean it’s not a sexy pick, but if they can grab Cosmi, in 2 months Veach would’ve gave overhauled this o-line completely 

This WR class is just stupid good. I feel like I'm finding someone new each week that's a legit threat.

My new crush is TJ Vasher from Texas Tech. How in the world have I not seen him until today? If we miss out on Scary Terry, Vasher would be a great consolation prize.

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1