Worms takeaways from the Detroit 50-burger

whodatworm23

After taking time to process this game, Here are my quick thoughts...

The good:

1. Cam Jordan is playing OUT OF HIS MIND!

2. Ingram and Kamara are one hell of a 1-2 punch... Kamara IS the TRUTH!

3. As our starting Oline gets healthier our offense will get better and better.

4. Despite 1 lasps in coverage, Craig Robertson balled out today.

5. Vaccaro is quickly becoming "johnny on the spot" over last few weeks.

6. Alex Oakfor making his pressence felt.

7. Marahon Lattimore is a flat out STUD!

8. Dennis Allen and his staff are doing something special.

9. Rankins, Davison and Onyamata deserve credit for clogging up the interior.

10. AJ Klein did an outatanding job getting our defense algined all game.

The bad:

1. Our punt coverage unit is still a work in progress.

2. Ken Crawley fell back to earth after 2 outstanding performances.

3. Crawley, Bell and Williams showed their youth by getting caught out of position on multipule occasions in the second half.

4. The Saints started feeling themselves far to early in this one... Lost focus, showed youth.

5. Drew Brees had a sub-par performance overall, didnt show up in second half.

6. The game appeared to be getting away from Payton towards the end until Cam Jordans TD bailed him out.

7. Mike Thomas had a tough day aganist Slay.

8. Manti Te'o is virtually useless.

9. Despite win... There was alot of sloppiness that needs cleaning up.

10. 3 turnovers in 2nd half feed the Lions comeback.

Overall the Saints positioned themselves to possibly go on quite the run over thr next few weeks and make believers put of everyone and while they are playing much better the sloppiness must be addressed before it costs us games in the future.

7 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

The bad:

1. Our punt coverage unit is still a work in progress.
Not just coverage, punt returns as well.
I was happy to see our field goal unit pop 3 in a row on that stupid extra point debacle. 

4. The Saints started feeling themselves far to early in this one... Lost focus, showed youth.
This really bothered me, but the nice thing is it can be fixed! They've been told they suck, and then they smashed a good team in the first half. Yeah, too cocky. They'll learn.

5. Drew Brees had a sub-par performance overall, didnt show up in second half.
Not the performance I wanted out of the franchise name, but the nice thing is, whenever he has a game like this, he's laser focused the following week (Green Bay).

There was a lot of good to go around in the first half, and the 2nd half of the 4 quarter.

As mentioned, this is such a young team and they haven't experience kicking the crap out of someone yet. If they get settled in, and understand how to close, we could be in for a treat.

You couldn't have asked for a better first half from the team, both offensively and defensively.  Even Brees who had a bad game overall started out like 9/11 with over 100 yards and a TD.

As good as they were in the first half they were that bad in the second.  Special teams also crapped the bed, and late game heroics from Cam Jordan saved our butts.

Very strange game.  A 52-38 win that feels like a 13-10 win.

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

You couldn't have asked for a better first half from the team, both offensively and defensively.  Even Brees who had a bad game overall started out like 9/11 with over 100 yards and a TD.

As good as they were in the first half they were that bad in the second.  Special teams also crapped the bed, and late game heroics from Cam Jordan saved our butts.

Very strange game.  A 52-38 win that feels like a 13-10 win.

Lets call it what it was... Saints came out on ? and began handing it to the Lions. Went as far as showing up the opponent by taking fake photos and crap in thr middle of the field on defense. Went to the lockerooom feeling themselves and came out coasting in the 2nd half.

Meanwhile the Lions came out determined and looking for payback (especially their offense). They caught a young Saints team thats still learning how to win on cruise control. The Lions smacked the Saints back into realiaty then put them on skates as the idea of blowing a 45-10 lead started to set in. Momentum was clearly on the Lions side until veteran defensive leader Cam Jordan came to the reacuse in the bottom of the 4th quarter after everyone else (including Brees) failed to stop the bleeding. 

Hopefully this young team learned a valuabe lesson... That the game is never over until its over and that you NEVER let your guard down in the NFL!

For the first and last time in my life I think I'll ever say this, the defense was amazing in that 52-38 game lol. Really though, I'm so impressed with this young defense. The old Saints D would've faltered after the couple of 3rd quarter TDs, or the O/ST giving up the pick 6 and punt return TD. Could've easily crumbled under that pressure but they shut the Lions down the entire 4th quarter. Not to mention the 21 points scored by themselves. That was the most defensive 90 point game I think we'll ever see. 

3 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

That was the most defensive 90 point game I think we'll ever see. 

Absolutely, I don't even think it's a question.  Shame that it will go against their stats in the end when people look at box score.

As a matter of fact, and I may be a homer, I'd put this performance up there with some of the best this season in the NFL.

I don't want to hate on the offense too much, they still scored 31 points despite a terrible second half.  A half that was plagued by overly conservative playcalling that got us in a bind.

Rewatched the game... A player that stood out to me (outside the obvious ones) was Andrus Peat. 

Wow... Dude is quietly developing into a pro-bowl caliber guard. His athleticism on pulls and traps is so rare for such a large man. His play on Ingrams 50 yard run was a thing of beauty as he pulls left and lands a knock down block on a moving DB. Peat isnt just excelling there however, hes becoming a great all around player at his position. On Ingrams 2 yard TD run, Peat manhandles Lions DT A'shawn Robinson (who makes his living on his run stuffing ability and is a massive, powerful and physical player) and blows him back 5 yards into the endzone. In pass protection, Peat was basically flawless. 

He was moved back to tackle in the second half because Payton didnt want Armstead playing 80 snaps in his first game back but of you just grade Peat while at LG he had an amazing game.

I saw a video on someone's twitter feed that showed 6 plays by our O-line that made me think they were going to kill someone. Mostly from Peat and Armstead. These guys were destroying the opposition. Knocking them on their butts, and in some instances (like Worm mentioned) just blowing them backwards like they didn't matter. It was great!!!

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I saw a video on someone's twitter feed that showed 6 plays by our O-line that made me think they were going to kill someone. Mostly from Peat and Armstead. These guys were destroying the opposition. Knocking them on their butts, and in some instances (like Worm mentioned) just blowing them backwards like they didn't matter. It was great!!!

Hopefully Armstead stays healthy. His availability is his biggest asset and he needs to prove he can be available. I hate watching the o-line shifting all over the place. If they can stay healthy and get in a grove this could be the best line in the league. 

32 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Does someone have a gif of Cam destroying that tackle?

How awesome was that?! Are you talking about the substitute that came in where Cam basically threw him back twice right into Stafford for the sack? 

I was LMAO and made my wife watch the replay. Absolutely loved it!

6 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

How awesome was that?! Are you talking about the substitute that came in where Cam basically threw him back twice right into Stafford for the sack? 

I was LMAO and made my wife watch the replay. Absolutely loved it!

Yep, utter domination. Cam throws the guy back and knocks Stafford over.  I want a gif to troll the next NFL gen thread on pass rushers.

15 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yep, utter domination. Cam throws the guy back and knocks Stafford over.  I want a gif to troll the next NFL gen thread on pass rushers.

While that was a great play by Jordan yall need to rewatch Peat on Ingrams goaline 2 yard TD run. Peat manhandles A'shawn whos one of the more physically imposing run stuffers in the game. Even the offense was impressed, you see the guys congratulating Peat and not Ingram. Lol 

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

While that was a great play by Jordan yall need to rewatch Peat on Ingrams goaline 2 yard TD run. Peat manhandles A'shawn whos one of the more physically imposing run stuffers in the game. Even the offense was impressed, you see the guys congratulating Peat and not Ingram. Lol 

I'll have to rewatch that I missed it

Archived