WFT expected to part ways with QB Alex Smith

.Buzz

Wouldn't be surprised if BB brings him to the Pats. He seems like he would be an immediate starter for them. As I do not know whether or not they want to retain Cam and at pick 15 it will be hard to land one of the top 3 Qbs in the draft without giving up a fortune. He may be the bridge qb that BB needs to start turning the organization back around and the cost may not be that high.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Wouldn't be surprised if BB brings him to the Pats. He seems like he would be an immediate starter for them. As I do not know whether or not they want to retain Cam and at pick 15 it will be hard to land one of the top 3 Qbs in the draft without giving up a fortune. He may be the bridge qb that BB needs to start turning the organization back around and the cost may not be that high.

He has one leg

16 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

He has one leg

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I see people jumped on the "Cam has no throwing arm" angle, so I'll just say that even on one leg, Smith is an upgrade over what NE put out at QB.

The problem is that that leg issue isn't going away.   The likelihood he could play 16 games and stay healthy is single-digit probability IMO.  As for the arm, sure he's better than Cam was the last 10 weeks - but he's still Alex Smith.    Dink & dunk guy, except he's not the threat to run the ball anymore like he used to be pre-injury.    He averaged less than 6 air yards per attempt....and it wasn't just anomaly or sample size, the eye test confirmed it's the same Alex Smith - dink & dunk, safe throw guy...but with no athleticism left.   

I can see him going somewhere as a tutor/backup to a rookie QB (he can do more as a tutor IMO), but also with a team that doesn't emphasize verticality in its game.   But that's about it.

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The problem is that that leg issue isn't going away.   The likelihood he could play 16 games and stay healthy is single-digit probability IMO. 

He started eight last season, didn't he? I don't think he had any issues last year, unless I missed something.

Much like any other injury, his leg is only going to get stronger. Sure, it could get folded up like it did when it broke, but that could literally happen to anyone.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As for the arm, sure he's better than Cam was the last 10 weeks - but he's still Alex Smith.    Dink & dunk guy, except he's not the threat to run the ball anymore like he used to be pre-injury.

Belicheck/McDaniels would tailor an offense to that dink/dunk and get Smith easy reads to exploit. A cerebral QB with those two has usually ended up very well (won't end up as well, mind you).

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I can see him going somewhere as a tutor/backup to a rookie QB, but also with a team that doesn't emphasize verticality in its game.   But that's about it.

Jacksonville makes a ton of sense - he'd be a psuedo QB Coach for Trevor Lawrence while serving as an advisor to Urban Meyer as far as how to update his approach to an NFL team. 

Alex Smith has a coaching career in him - might even be better than his playing career, which was good. Jacksonville might be that starting point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He started eight last season, didn't he? I don't think he had any issues last year, unless I missed something.

Unfortunately, you missed something. You could def tell there were games he was favoring it differently and having issues throwing because of it. We also got Heinicke in the playoff game because Smith had a calf injury on the same leg. 

I don't want it to seem like I am knocking the guy. What he did was incredible. And another year strengthening it could do wonders. But he was clearly not 100% in that leg as the season went on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Much like any other injury, his leg is only going to get stronger. Sure, it could get folded up like it did when it broke, but that could literally happen to anyone.

It's more what's left of the leg.   He's had muscle flaps that succeeded in saving the leg - but it's left his leg compromised structurally.  The change in biomechanics is what's led to his physical limitations from his former self (duh) but it also makes repetitive strain more likely. 

He is literally working with half his calf muscle.  And that's what strained - and kept him out of the playoffs when he tried to come back.  That type of issue isn't going away, especially at age 36.  It's not a case of the leg healing further.   It is what it is at this stage.

Zero argument that he'd bring a lot to a team as a tutor/mentor to a rookie who needs to learn the ropes.  But that's his value.   Counting on being the guy for 16 games, is a bad proposition.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Unfortunately, you missed something. You could def tell there were games he was favoring it differently and having issues throwing because of it. We also got Heinicke in the playoff game because Smith had a calf injury on the same leg. 

I don't want it to seem like I am knocking the guy. What he did was incredible. And another year strengthening it could do wonders. But he was clearly not 100% in that leg as the season went on. 

Unfortunately, because it's a loss of muscle that's involved, he's not strengthening it enough to remove the issue.   Like you said, amazing story.  But  as you noted, he's incredibly limited, and the reasons for it aren't going away.

• Like 2