JJ Watt signs with the Arizona Cardinals

.Buzz

2 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Yeh dude, gotta believe 100% of what an Arizona insider doing a favor to Cardinals' GM tweets.

Do you really believe that any contender offered him more money (already a big BS) but he declined to play with the right now the 4th best team in the toughest division in the NFL?

There's multiple things at play.

I highly doubt he'd join Cards if he didn't think they were in decent contention and to only chase money.

Edited by Zalixar

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:
i have been told this man is washed...

Who told you that?

I may be wrong, but the only complaints I have heard about JJ were legit concerns about his health. And even that hasn't really been an issue for couple years. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm taking that flip and if I'm the Texans, I'm hoping that somehow I can get a little bit more out of the Cardinals than Murray. You still get your young/"Franchise QB" (I don't buy Murray as a top tier guy ever, but maybe he'll prove me wrong eventually), get him on a rookie deal, and can start the rebuild with that piece intact.

Watson for murray, hopkins and jj?

9 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Don't get me wrong.. If I'm Watt I'd have chosen to spend the 2021 season feasting on Tua, a rookie QB, and old Cam (and 2 of the worst offensive lines in the league)

But beyond that, Arizona is a legit contender. This isn't some throwaway money grab.

Both those teams beat the Cardinals. They are hardly contenders. Maybe in a couple years

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

i have been told this man is washed...

I need to know who you're talking to.

Nothing - and I mean absolutly NOTHING - could be further from the truth.

Is he the same superhuman he was from 2012 to 2015? No. Injuries have taken a toll on him, he's not going to get you 20 sacks with 30 TFLs and five defensive TDs. But everyone knew that wasn't sustainable as it was happening, because it was unheard of that a single player could impact a game like he could when he was at his peak.

A season like 2018 (16.0 sacks, 18 TFLs) is on the high end, but it's doable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Yeh dude, gotta believe 100% of what an Arizona insider doing a favor to Cardinals' GM tweets.

Do you really believe that any contender offered him more money (already a big BS) but he declined to play with the right now the 4th best team in the toughest division in the NFL?

Let's be honest, the NFL is so damn hard to win a SB. Choosing your destination to chase a ring and what happens if your QB is lost for the season, like Dallas?

He made the right choice if he views the Cardinals as playoff contenders. And getting to live in Arizona is much nicer than Ohio, for example.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pugger said:

I'm glad we didn't for that kind of coin.

Oh absolutely the cost is clearly over the top but thats what teams have to do sometimes to land services for players. I am just shocked as I mentioned before that of all players leaving an organization that put a staple not only on the organization but the community would leave to chase a ring, with him being a hometown fan of GB growing up and GB being a contender I thought he would have taken a discount for a superbowl run. clearly that wasnt his intentions which is why he went to Arizona. I get GB has cap issues but they could have moved things around had he been serious to sign with a contender and not take as much as he did. We (media and fans) assumed that his goal was to chase a ring or play with his brothers and that money wouldnt be the driving force for his decision and we were all wrong. Just proves that is what this league is all about, as fans and organizations try to sell players on going to a big or small market team, big city, contending for a chance to be in a superbowl it is all fluff to these guys no matter what stage of their career money will always be the driving force behind it. Rumors are saying colts and browns offered more but it doesnt mean the guarantees were as high or other stipulations as they could have had 3 years instead of 2. My theory is Arizona offered him the most money, including guarantees in a 2 year window and thats what got him to sign. No other reason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I need to know who you're talking to.

Nothing - and I mean absolutly NOTHING - could be further from the truth.

Is he the same superhuman he was from 2012 to 2015? No. Injuries have taken a toll on him, he's not going to get you 20 sacks with 30 TFLs and five defensive TDs. But everyone knew that wasn't sustainable as it was happening, because it was unheard of that a single player could impact a game like he could when he was at his peak.

A season like 2018 (16.0 sacks, 18 TFLs) is on the high end, but it's doable.

What's really interesting is that almost all of his wins now are happening with inside moves.   Eliminate double-teams, and put him in a 1-gap position with Chandler Jones on the outside, and he could be really good.     PFF's Monson does a great job of breaking it down (not a fan of the system's weaknesses, but the analysis here is really good):

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-jj-watt-free-agency-2021

Watt isn't an alpha EDGE anymore though, that's pretty clear.    He'd be a fantastic Robin to Chandler Jones' Batman, however, used as an interior guy.  The ARI roster makes it a pretty clear path for him to play that way.  Guess we'll see if they have that in mind for him next year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Who IS that guy? Should we be buying this? 

I think it's far more likely some teams offered him 3 years - but not 23M guaranteed.  

ARI offering him 2/31M with 23M makes it pretty hard to walk away after 1 year.   I think Robinson is absolutely correct in that ARI offered the most guaranteed $ and per-year $.    Several teams could have offered him 3/39M with 18M guaranteed, and that beat reporter would be technically correct - but incredibly disingenuous.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Watt wanted to go to a contender but turned down more money from the Colts, Bills, and Browns who made playoffs last year for a team that will be fighting for 3rd in the division this year... I don't buy it. 

Just once, Watt, drop the act and say you did something for a lot money or notoriety. It's okay to just want a big bag of cash, low taxes, and golf in Arizona. The aw shucks schtick is so phony, I want authentic Jabrone Watt in all its glory talking about racking up sack stats and making big bucks. You can be authentic and still uplift the community around the team, I just wish Watt didn't approach the two as mutually exclusive because he would be a lot more likeable as an entertainer.  

As such, Marshawn is always relevant. This is the authenticity i want to see out of Watt

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 2