JJ Watt signs with the Arizona Cardinals

.Buzz

17 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Come to think of it I don't think the Raiders have a single number retired. I didn't know it was really a thing in the NFL tbh.

With the rich history of the Raiders, there are probably plenty of numbers they justifiably could retire if they wanted to.  The problem with retiring too many numbers in the NFL is that eventually you start having enough numbers for players on your team to actually use.  For that reason, it's kind of nice that Raiders players have 100 numbers to choose from (00-99).

17 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I wouldn't say titans have the best offense out of the 3, they just lost their OC to Atlanta. What Arthur Smith did to revive Tannehill's career was surprising. I cant say for sure what the impact would be on that but titans are about to lose Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis on that offense that was #2 and #3 in receiving for them this past year. Not to mention they have a nut job for their 1st rd draft pick that is likely never going to show up. Granted he wasnt an impact in 2020 as he played like 5 snaps for the team but that is a huge blow as that was a need they filled and could essentially be a need for them moving forward too. Colts are losing TY Hilton but really that offense will still be intact and we can debate what Wentz will do but with that running attack and oline that protected Rivers Wentz has the best opportunity to succeed, it is just a matter of whether or not it will click for him.

I am with you on the concept of not going in to the division, but I guess the players dont value that as much as players use to. So if Colts/Titans did pay up more then Arizona in Guarantees and overall money with in the 2 years I could see Watt picking them over the Cardinals

Not nesessarily. We'll likely lose Davis, but I'm confident we'll keep Jonnu. 

And while yes whiffing on Wilson sucks, it's by no means a huge blow since he never brought anything to the table anyways. Kelly played well at RT last year so it won't be viewed as a need moving forward. Biggest obstacle will be overcoming the loss of Arthur, which should lessen the gap between our offense and Ind/Cle. But I think the offense is too talented as a whole to take too big of a step back and promoting Downing will keep continuity in the system. I'd still put our offense ahead of theirs.

22 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Not nesessarily. We'll likely lose Davis, but I'm confident we'll keep Jonnu. 

And while yes whiffing on Wilson sucks, it's by no means a huge blow since he never brought anything to the table anyways. Kelly played well at RT last year so it won't be viewed as a need moving forward. Biggest obstacle will be overcoming the loss of Arthur, which should lessen the gap between our offense and Ind/Cle. But I think the offense is too talented as a whole to take too big of a step back and promoting Downing will keep continuity in the system. I'd still put our offense ahead of theirs.

Honestly only way I see you guys keeping Jonnu is tagging him. Several teams will be looking to pay him top dollar even if he isnt top tier talent its because the lack of talent in the draft and on the market. I could see Jags and Jets going in on him and/or Hunter Henry 

I think this is a great signing. You get a guy who's still a really good player. If he can stay healthy, he'll leave his mark on the field. However, something bigger is his impact in the locker room. That'll be great for a team that's trying to make a playoff push.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zalixar said:

There's multiple things at play.

I highly doubt he'd join Cards if he didn't think they were in decent contention and to only chase money.

Come on. Even as a fan you gotta admit that going to the toughest division in the NFL even if the Cards were the best team there wouldn't be wise. Considering you're 3rd or 4th best in your own division makes hard to believe he went there because of anything other than money, his stats and maybe the weather.

He's gonna play alongside with Jones or Reddick. Arizona likes to blitz too plus their O is very dynamic I think top5 in total yards so that generally leads to a lot more passing plays from the opposing O. He gonna get his stats if he's healthy (a big IF) and then get extended another year or two for good money.

Edited by LaFellSBXLIXMVP

9 hours ago, ravishingone said:

This sounds reasonable.  JJ taking the most guaranteed money also makes sense.  Well played by JJ and his agent maximizing his value.

Of course that is what Watt ( and ARI) want people to think.... he did sign for the most $$$

Watt looks better in not just chasing the cash.

ARI looks better that a big name FA took less to sign with them...our team is on the rise.  Nice signal to try to send to other FA 

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

With the rich history of the Raiders, there are probably plenty of numbers they justifiably could retire if they wanted to.  The problem with retiring too many numbers in the NFL is that eventually you start having enough numbers for players on your team to actually use.  For that reason, it's kind of nice that Raiders players have 100 numbers to choose from (00-99).

Numbers from Jim Otto (00) to Warren Sapp (99)....

• Like 1