JJ Watt signs with the Arizona Cardinals

.Buzz

44 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I would have thought Buffalo being in a weaker division would have made sense.....Best competition being the Dolphins....Being in Arizona, you will be competing with the Rams, 49ers, and Seahawks....

It comes down to money and Buffalo doesnt have the funds to offer a 32 year old who has injury history that kind of money. Hopefully they look at a younger talented guy. If Watt was chasing a ring I would think so Buffalo is one candidate but I think GB would have been the spot for him if he was going that route. Hometown, contender could have been ideal spot for him to win a ring but this was money driven and nothing else. Cant knock the guy for that. Even with Niners injury prone qb they still have a solid core of players, Rams essentially upgraded at qb for the short period of time and seattle will find away like they have for the last 9 years. So yes going to Arizona to compete for a ring will be difficult. 

29 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's chasing a ring but went to probably the 4th best team in a division when everyone healthy. If I'm predicting, I still got Hawks, Rams and a healthy 49ers with better record. 

What a tough division

Yea I'm confused. Obviously it's about the money which is totally fine. I don't think the Watt's had generational wealth prior to playing in the NFL, so get what you can.

But it also isn't THAT much money, and I wonder how many teams his agent spoke with? Yes the cap will be lower, but Dante Fowler is 1/5 the player Watt is and signed for around the same amount last year. Teams like the Rams will be able to create space.

I know we're all projecting the Texans to be awful - but if Watson steps onto the field wearing a Texans uniform next year, and Wilson is still in Seattle, then JJ just went from the third best team in a division to the fourth. He went from having the best QB in his division to at best the 2nd best QB, but possibly the 3rd best QB in his division.

And he'll be right at home with still having the worst coach in his division.

• Like 4

They overpaid, but I figured somebody was going to.

The downside is that other productive defensive linemen are going to want comparable deals... which, in a shrunken cap year, ain't gonna happen.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Reddick is a FA correct? Wonder what the Cards cap is like as Reddick will be in fairly high demand I imagine.

As I pointed out in the "Expansion Team" thread in Gen, the Cardinals actually have quite a few bad contracts going to complete non-factors. Both Robert Alford and Marcus Gilbert have played a combined 0 snaps for the team over the past two seasons, and cutting them saves over 10 million. Maxx Williams can be cut and save about 3 million. Mason Cole has gifted the opposition so many QB hits and TFLs that it's ridiculous and can be cut to save 3 mil. Both Jordan Phillips and Justin Pugh are restructure candidates. Chandler Jones has a 20 mill hit and is a restructure candidate. The Cardinals could probably realistically save about 20 million with just a few moves, maybe 25.

22 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Nice pick up for the Cardinals, over pay a little but sometimes its worth it. JJ along with Reddick and Jones could be a nasty pass rush group, I think I heard Simmons had a good season but looking at just his stats it doesn't look like it, would need Cards fans to confirm?

IF Jones and JJ stay healthy....Jones played five game last season and Watt has only played sixteen games twice.....

• Like 1