JJ Watt signs with the Arizona Cardinals

.Buzz

Don't get me wrong.. If I'm Watt I'd have chosen to spend the 2021 season feasting on Tua, a rookie QB, and old Cam (and 2 of the worst offensive lines in the league)

But beyond that, Arizona is a legit contender. This isn't some throwaway money grab.

I'd place wagers today that the Cardinals have a much better season than the Brownies for example

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Come to think of it I don't think the Raiders have a single number retired. I didn't know it was really a thing in the NFL tbh.

Raiders don't do it, but Jim Otto's 00 is essentially a retired number

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

Incredible, like the "if you combine the ages of these 3 guys you get 200" kind of incredible?

I'll fully admit that they're all past their prime. I'm talking about legends, though. And like how each of them are in the community and in the locker room, in the huddle, in the film rooms. Everyone who's worked with them absolutely adores them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Who IS that guy? Should we be buying this? 

So the Cards have like an incredibly small media presence and a very small fanbase, as can be deduced by viewing this site as a microcosm of the NFL. Most "fans" deal with apathy but happen to live in the Valley so if they win a bunch of games, then that's kind of neat I guess. That's how it is.

Anyways, so the Cardinals have like three sources in the media and all are via the radio. #1 is Mike Jurecki. #2 is Ron Wolfley. I'd say #3 is John Gambodoro. Jurecki is basically perfect with his reporting. Wolf is nearly as good. Gambo is mostly accurate. More of a basketball guy, though, but he's plugged in to AZ sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

Don't get me wrong.. If I'm Watt I'd have chosen to spend the 2021 season feasting on Tua, a rookie QB, and old Cam (and 2 of the worst offensive lines in the league)

But beyond that, Arizona is a legit contender. This isn't some throwaway money grab.

I'd place wagers today that the Cardinals have a much better season than the Brownies for example

Statistically speaking, the Cardinals had both a playoff-caliber offense and playoff defense.

Actually had the #3 red zone defense and a really great defense on 3rd-down, if I remember correctly. Makes sense when you consider that they had like 5 starting-caliber edge rushers. Their biggest weakness on defense by far was the IDL. Both penetration and gap integrity were really bad, and the defense was decimated by injury, so Joseph got creative and ran a lot of 0-6-5 fronts. It was a season where all of their top-5 IDL dealt with extended time missed with injuries, so getting those guys back and adding JJ Watt should be huge. On paper, their one weakness on defense is their lack of a corner that can handle true deep speed.

On offense, they continued to progress and had a top-12 scoring and yardage offense. And they should only get better, as all of the skill positions are incredibly young and literally every WR besides Hopkins missed multiple games with injuries. They need to add a secondary threat to the field, whether that's a #2 WR or a #1 TE.

People say that the 9ers dealt with a ton of injuries - and don't get me wrong, they did - but the Cardinals dealt with a ton, as well. Jordan Phillips missed half the season. Zach Allen missed a handful of games. Rashard Lawrence missed half the season. Leki Fotu missed 5 games. Corey Peters missed 7 games. Literally their entire IDL was dealing with injuries for most of the year. Their starting FS missed 11 games. Both backups missed at least 3 games with injury. Their #2 CB missed the season yet again. Their #3 CB missed multiple games. Their #4 CB missed 4 games. Freaking Chandler Jones missed 11 games. Dennis Gardeck, his talented replacement, got injured. Kennard missed 3 games.

On offense, their starting RT opted out of the season. Their starting RG missed a handful of games. Their starting C missed multiple games. All of their receivers besides Nuk missed multiple games. Their starting TE missed 7 games. Even Kyler got hurt and Chris Streveler had to play for extended time in the Cards' win-or-go-home final game of the season.

Like, yeah, the 49ers dealt with a ton of injuries. So did the Cardinals. So if people are saying that the 49ers are going to upgrade by getting healthy, then the same applies to the Cardinals. And the Cardinals have one of the youngest teams in the league, too, so there's some natural progression that should occur.

2 hours ago, Zalixar said:

Shh, you'll divert the narrative that it was a money chase signing and the Cards are almost guaranteed to get 4th place.

Yeh dude, gotta believe 100% of what an Arizona insider doing a favor to Cardinals' GM tweets.

Do you really believe that any contender offered him more money (already a big BS) but he declined to play with the right now the 4th best team in the toughest division in the NFL?

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

He didn't mention any contenders offered more $

Well, lets not discuss what a contender means in that context but Colts are way ahead of the Cards and are on an easier division and the Browns last 3/5 of the season was great and they actually were fighting KC close even with Mahomes in the playoffs after destroying the Steelers. That fumble at the goal line changed the game.

Only thing Arizona has on those teams is the weather and it may not be a small thing because Watt's body is broken. Since 2015 he only had one season that could be graded as above mediocre. So going to cold places may not be his thing right now, even tho colts play indoors. He still gotta live thru pain, injuries and continuous rehab 5 months of the year in such weather.