Dolphins to release LB Kyle Van Noy

Emerica

This is out of left field.

Edit: Keep in mind this doesn't seem to be a done deal. Looks like there are talks ongoing but doubt this would come out if it wasn't a very real possibility.

Edit 2: Garafolo confirms below. 

Edited by Emerica

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

How weird.

Clearing space for Watson, maybe? I thought the Dolphins were one of the few teams with decent cap room? Am I wrong about that?

Not wrong. You don't want it to be your only move right? Still need some cash to put more pieces around you now because you've vaulted to win-now often mode. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

How weird.

Clearing space for Watson, maybe? I thought the Dolphins were one of the few teams with decent cap room? Am I wrong about that?

No, we have plenty of cap space and no big FAs to re-sign this year. Pretty sure we are top 7-10 in current cap space. One could assume they are clearing cap space to add a significant piece(s). Don't want to connect dots but it is indeed weird. 

Van Noy was viewed as the leader on D and was pretty good, so if he's released it wouldn't have anything to do with performance. He's still only 30yo. 

• Like 1

Yeah, think it's more so just an issue of what he brings versus what he's being paid than anything. He's not worth $10M per year regardless of their cap situation. If you can allocate those resources to someone better/actually worth it why not?

• Like 1

Van Ginkel really came on at the end of the year. Most surprisingly positive outbreak from any player on the roster. It was probably more obvious to Dolphin fans than leaguewide.

Van Noy made lots of good instinctive plays but be was also responsible for some of the absolute worst plays of the season on defense. He failed to fill several times on running plays, leading to massive chunk yardage in key situation. They were basic responsibilities in which he was right there but simply wasn't physical enough and didn't seem to care enough. Consequently he was in the doghouse with many fans on Dolphin message boards and it probably translated to the coaching staff as well.

Miami all season was great on the typical defensive play but gave up far too many big plays. I'm sure reducing those numbers are a priority and they may view Van Noy as a cause, especially at that salary. 

He needs to go to a team that is near championship level, where his occasional instinctive huge play can be all the difference in key games.

• Like 1