Dolphins to release LB Kyle Van Noy

Emerica

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't get this at all. He was a major difference maker

Yea I do not get this move for you guys, its not like he was breaking the bank at 12 mil he was also a captain too, so he held some form of weight in the locker room. Kind of surprised by this but there has to be more to this story for them to release him just to free up 9 mil when you already have good amount of cap space. Also his production kind of supported what he did in NE so it wasn't like he is declining if anything he had one of his better years of his career. So you knew what you were getting and he stayed in line with it if not went over what his past production showed.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

If he’s cool with taking a pay cut, he should consider Tampa as well (also shortens the move). In the event Barrett walks. 

@BucsDraftGeek47

i wouldnt be opposed

i have completely resigned to the fact that Shaq is leaving

we dont have the money to pay him and Godwin

especially after the JJ Watt AZ deal, Shaq is going to make 17+ a year in the open market

im not too familiar with Van noy though , is he more of an OLB or ILB? 

12 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

OLB but he doesn't play the edge well. Any pressure you get from him would have to be A gap blitzes, stunts, and delays. He is very good in space and short range coverage but if you ask him to go out of a mid zone you'll get in trouble (as you would with any LB really). He is the definition of solid. He made Hightower better when both were on the Pats because he did all the small stuff and free'd up High for more creative plays. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i wouldnt be opposed

especially after the JJ Watt AZ deal, Shaq is going to make 17+ a year in the open market

Surely if they can’t afford both Shaq and Godwin, they’ll choose Shaq. A better player at more important position, while they have great depth at WR.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i wouldnt be opposed

OLB. Not a pure edge player like you might look for in replacing Shaq (like a Judon). Asking KVN to consistently set the edge or rush the passer with a hand in the dirt isn’t the best way to utilize him. 

KVN however is a good blitzer, plays the run well (standing up) and probably won’t be your worst coverage LB as long as you don’t ask him to do too much. Definitely a “steady as she goes” player that probably shouldn’t be your best front seven guy, but if you ask him to fit in then he’s a good piece to have. 

AFAIK Bowles is a little bit of an archetypal guy but KVN is a versatile player that is a biiig culture guy. Think he’d fit right into that locker room.

Why would they do that?  He knows the system, possibly they want to see if they can steal Azeez in the draft and get a cheaper version of the 3/4 OLB pass rusher.  Is a surprise, especially if Roberts is cut as well.  

its making room for Watson coming in and  to handle the accelerated proration from moving Tua off their cap. ( $ 14.6M+)
Its a young man's game and KVN isn't young -  nor is he a part of their future plans. Especially at that price...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i wouldnt be opposed

Van Noy can't replace Shaq. He's a very good player but he doesn't win 1v1 at the LOS at a decent rate. Not his game.

Now, Bucs have the money to sign back every one of their FAs at nearly market value. The question is if they are willing to do that. But I'd bet David, Shaq and Godwin will be back. They have the most cap available in 2022 and beyond. It's just a matter of spreading the cap hit with bonuses and backloading the money past 2021 to new contracts.

If anything they tag CG but I feel it'd be wise to sign Chris long term at a higher price because at his age you actually want to offer him a 5y contract so you can give him a big sign bonus and spread it thru 5 years. Especially because he'll want and will get offered a huge sum of money in 2022. In fac, they should offer another two years to JPP as well with $0 guaranteed in the second year or maybe extend Donovan already if they can because in 2022 the contracts gonna get absurd.

Just like Chiefs did to secure their top3 weapons long term before the new TV contracts and extra games/week money kick in.