Dolphins to release LB Kyle Van Noy

Emerica

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

its making room for Watson coming in and  to handle the accelerated proration from moving Tua off their cap. ( $ 14.6M+)
Its a young man's game and KVN isn't young -  nor is he a part of their future plans. Especially at that price...

Ahhh I didn't think about tuas dead cap. This is the type of analysis I come to this site for, great post 

I don't understand why they had to do it now though, other than to do right by him to give him time to find a new team 

I won't believe the Watson deal is done until it's done, so this feels premature if this is why they did it 

Maybe they are planning on signing Trent Williams? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I like how he went from 'bust' to a couple good seasons in NE, to now people being surprised he was cut whilst making $10M. 

The journey of perception.

I'd have him back in NE. He's a good piece to allow others to excel 

Agreed.

I just saw this and thought, "How did a Kyle Van Noy thread get 4 pages of replies?"   

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I like how he went from 'bust' to a couple good seasons in NE, to now people being surprised he was cut whilst making $10M. 

The journey of perception.

I'd have him back in NE. He's a good piece to allow others to excel 

Some players just take a bit longer to develop.

Van Noy was a good player for us last season. Unlike the walking pile of utterly useless burning garbage that is Elandon Roberts. And yet Roberts is still employed. Baffling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Agreed.

I just saw this and thought, "How did a Kyle Van Noy thread get 4 pages of replies?"   

We are in the early March Dead Zone of NFL News, where an old LB and old TE from Minnesota are top news stories. 

15 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

How many teams are running the 3-4 these days, seems like less and less. He has that problem of not having many people competing for his services.

KVN is a versatile player, almost to a fault. He’s not a great pure edge player and not exceptional in coverage. He’s a sound player that’s strength is his feel for blitzing, played very well in NE’s 4-3 fronts. 

He’s not a fit everywhere, but should be a fit anywhere - if that makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

KVN is a versatile player, almost to a fault. He’s not a great pure edge player and not exceptional in coverage. He’s a sound player that’s strength is his feel for blitzing, played very well in NE’s 4-3 fronts. 

He’s not a fit everywhere, but should be a fit anywhere - if that makes sense.

Agreed. KVN would fit fine for a 4-3

19 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Some players just take a bit longer to develop.

Van Noy was a good player for us last season. Unlike the walking pile of utterly useless burning garbage that is Elandon Roberts. And yet Roberts is still employed. Baffling.

Nice to hear Elandon hasn't changed.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, kramxel said:

Another NE FA story... Spoiler alet: it's always the same. 

This one is different. With the confusing AF way contracts are structured, this "$51M" deal looked huge for KVN last year. In the end, think it was a one-year deal for $15M, which ranks a mere 24th among edge rusher contracts. The bank was not broken, the team was not saddled with a kick-the-can contract like other NE FA stories. 

The contract was long-term unaffordable for Miami based on his age and production, with a possible $15M injury guarantee looming and other such math wizardry I don't understand. If they designate him a post-June cut it's a $12.5M cap savings this year. Or $9.8M if they don't. Either way that's a lot of cap space for a 30-yr-old LB. 

Hence the ax. One-year rental.

• Like 1