Vikings Officially Part Ways w/ Kyle Rudolph

RpMc

It was fun watching Rudolph and I'll miss seeing him out there. I do not disagree with the organization in letting go of the aging veteran at this point. He wasn't worth paying that contract. To me he was always a pass catching TE that was below average to poor helping out in pass protection when they asked him to do that. As his ability to make plays in the passing game declined, his usefulness to the team also declined. I hope there is another team out there that doesn't have to count on keeping TEs in to pass protect as often. With that, I think he can be useful to a team. 

34 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It was fun watching Rudolph and I'll miss seeing him out there. I do not disagree with the organization in letting go of the aging veteran at this point. He wasn't worth paying that contract. To me he was always a pass catching TE that was below average to poor helping out in pass protection when they asked him to do that. As his ability to make plays in the passing game declined, his usefulness to the team also declined. I hope there is another team out there that doesn't have to count on keeping TEs in to pass protect as often. With that, I think he can be useful to a team. 

Unfortunately for Rudolph, I don’t think he’s athletic enough to be in a lead TE role where he may be asked to block more than he’d like to.

• Like 1

If the Vikings could get someone of the Rudolph mode for every position on the team, the Vikings would be great.  Rudolph was never a distraction, and in fact, was a great teammate of the highest character.  His off the field work will be hard to replace.  But these are not what would make the Vikings great.  Instead, Rudolph's willingness to do anything that the team wanted him to, at the expense of his own individual statistics is what makes him outstanding in my eyes.  He became a better than average blocker, yet his talents lay in the passing game, especially in the red zone.  What's unfortunate is that the quarterbacks that the Vikings have had in the last 10 years rarely have used the TE as a first option.  Cousins in particular rarely looks the TE's way.  Why should he with Diggs, Theilen and now Jefferson to throw to?  It didn't matter to Rudolph.  He was a team player first and foremost.  Those guys are hard to replace nowadays. 

42 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

His blocking ability improved tremendously compared to when he came into the league.  I would say, he's better than average for a TE.

Spielman: "From the moment we drafted Kyle as a young man out of Notre Dame in 2011, through his 10th season with the Vikings in 2020, he has been one of the premier tight ends in the NFL and most influential and positive leaders I’ve ever been around. Kyle and Jordan have made such an immeasurable impact on our team and community that may never be matched. The energy they have invested in the community, most notably through the End Zone at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital, is truly remarkable. I admire Kyle and we will miss him and his family. We sincerely wish them the best.”

Zimmer:  “Kyle has been a leader and mentor for us on and off the field from the first day I arrived in Minnesota. He has been such an important part of this team and community throughout his career and it has been an honor to coach him the last seven seasons. He will be missed, and we wish him and his family nothing but the best.”

Rudolph meant a lot to the Vikings and the Minneapolis community for what he did on and off the field. But Rudolph, 31, missed four games last season and made 28 catches for 334 yards and one touchdown last season, the third-fewest catches, the fourth-fewest yards and the fewest touchdowns in a season in his career.

He was due to make a $7.65 million base salary in 2021 and count $9.45 million against the Vikings’ salary cap.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/02/mike-zimmer-kyle-rudolph-will-be-missed/

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the Vikings could get someone of the Rudolph mode for every position on the team, the Vikings would be great.  Rudolph was never a distraction, and in fact, was a great teammate of the highest character.  His off the field work will be hard to replace.  But these are not what would make the Vikings great.  Instead, Rudolph's willingness to do anything that the team wanted him to, at the expense of his own individual statistics is what makes him outstanding in my eyes.  He became a better than average blocker, yet his talents lay in the passing game, especially in the red zone.  What's unfortunate is that the quarterbacks that the Vikings have had in the last 10 years rarely have used the TE as a first option.  Cousins in particular rarely looks the TE's way.  Why should he with Diggs, Theilen and now Jefferson to throw to?  It didn't matter to Rudolph.  He was a team player first and foremost.  Those guys are hard to replace nowadays. 

Cousins looked to Jordan Reed quite a bit. Rudolph was a good possession TE, but he was never a field stretcher. He's paid far too much to be a check-down and Red Zone option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Cousins looked to Jordan Reed quite a bit. Rudolph was a good possession TE, but he was never a field stretcher. He's paid far too much to be a check-down and Red Zone option.

Don't get me wrong.  The Vikings made the right decision in letting him go.  He doesn't fit into the offensive scheme.  I'm just appreciating his time with the Vikings and his "I'll do what is best for the team" attitude.

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Don't get me wrong.  The Vikings made the right decision in letting him go.  He doesn't fit into the offensive scheme.  I'm just appreciating his time with the Vikings and his "I'll do what is best for the team" attitude.

Him doing what’s best for the team would be to take a pay cut. He didn’t do that. Now he will most likely get to realize that no team will pay him more than $4-5 million a year. If Eric Kendricks can take a pay cut for the team, why shouldn’t anyone else? Kendricks was our best defensive player last year, and he was coming off of a pay cut, to free up money for other players. That’s a great teammate right there. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Him doing what’s best for the team would be to take a pay cut. He didn’t do that. Now he will most likely get to realize that no team will pay him more than $4-5 million a year. If Eric Kendricks can take a pay cut for the team, why shouldn’t anyone else. Kendricks was our best defensive player last year, and he was coming off of a pay cut, to free up money for other players. That’s a great teammate right there. 

Pay cut and restructure are not the same thing though. Kendricks didn't take a pay cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Pay cut and restructure are not the same thing though. Kendricks didn't take a pay cut.

If he was due to make $12 million, but restructures to make $8 million, to me that’s a $4 million pay cut. He basically made less money last year, how is that not a pay cut? Cousins did the same thing. I think it shows a lot of character when you sacrifice your money to keep other key players around. 

Edited by Purplepride323