User List: Who do you want as your starting QB for the 2021 season?

22 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He's thrown for over 4,000 yards 1 time in his career, he's coming off of a major injury and wants to be paid as the top QB in football.  Hard pass.  

Well you should be able to remember that when Dak was young the Cowboys were a run first team with Zeke. They didn’t become a more balanced team until they traded for Amari Cooper which was mid season 3 years ago. You also have to combine what Dak does as a passer & rusher to see his true value in the same way that we did for RG3 in 2012 and that you’d do for Lamar Jackson today.

• 3949 yds & 29 TDs passing & rushing in 2016

• 3681 yds & 28 TDs passing & rushing in 2017

• 4190 yds & 28 TDs passing and rushing in 2018

• 5179 yds & 33 TDs passing and rushing in 2019

• In 2020 Dak was on pace for 5550 yds & 36 TDs. Yeah, I’m sure he wouldn’t have gotten exactly that but he was throwing for 371 yards a game last year.

We all saw what the Cowboys were without him last year after he was lost for the year. It was very similar to what Washington was without both Kirk and/or Alex in the time period that Alex broke his leg on Nov of 2018.

I would much rather the Cowboys not retain Dak than to see them keep him long term. If the Cowboys keep Dak I think they’ll be the best team in the division for as long as they have him, at worst some years 2nd best and still a playoff contender in those years.

The only players I’d be more unhappy seeing as the Cowboys QB over the next 4 or 5 years other than Dak is if the Cowboys trade Dak & picks for DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson. Ugh, that would suck, and I think it’s entirely possible especially DeShaun for Dak.

Edited by turtle28

17 hours ago, TKellion said:

I want Montez to start,Heinicke and Allen are journeyman back ups at best.I wouldnt be mad if they drafted Jones

Montez was an average starter in college. I seriously doubt he even develops into a back up quality player like Allen & Heinicke currently are.

Rivera could’ve started Montez last year over Haskins in December or played Montez instead of bringing Heinicke in after he benched Haskins vs the Panthers and then started Montez in the playoffs but he didn’t. I think that tells you everything you need to know about Montez.

Other than you just hoping that Montez becomes the guy, why would you actually think it’s going to happen that he’s going to start?

21 hours ago, TKellion said:

I want Montez to start,Heinicke and Allen are journeyman back ups at best.I wouldnt be mad if they drafted Jones

Montez won’t be on the team after we draft a QB or sign Mariota. And I like Air Montez. 

22 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Montez won’t be on the team after we draft a QB or sign Mariota. And I like Air Montez. 

Ugh Mariota, to me he goes over like a wet fart to me. Just nothing exiting about him at all. I hope I’m wrong if we do sign him, but I can’t imagine him being a top half of the league starter.

He was just so unimpressive as a starter for the Titans in 2017, 18 & 19 except for the playoff games vs the Chiefs in 2017. All Mariota showed week 17 last year was he wasn’t a dumpster fire as a starter well, we need more out of a starting QB than that. 

I’d rather watch an ultra cheap Allen or a cheap Heinicke start than an overpaid Mariota start for us.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ugh Mariota, to me he goes over like a wet fart to me. Just nothing exiting about him at all. I hope I’m wrong if we do sign him, but I can’t imagine him being a top half of the league starter.

He was just so unimpressive as a starter for the Titans in 2017, 18 & 19 except for the playoff games vs the Chiefs in 2017. All Mariota showed week 17 last year was he wasn’t a dumpster fire as a starter well, we need more out of a starting QB than that. 

I’d rather watch an ultra cheap Allen or a cheap Heinicke start than an overpaid Mariota start for us.

Im not excited about it either but I’m pretty sure they’re doing that or signing Newton. Short of a QB dropping, and I still think one will, I think Kyle Allen is the starter next year. I have no idea what has convinced them that this is a good idea but Ron, save for all the evidence that says otherwise, thinks he can win with Allen...

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Im not excited about it either but I’m pretty sure they’re doing that or signing Newton. Short of a QB dropping, and I still think one will, I think Kyle Allen is the starter next year. I have no idea what has convinced them that this is a good idea but Ron, save for all the evidence that says otherwise, thinks he can win with Allen...

We’ll I’d much rather Allen or Heinicke start than to sign Cam or Mariota. The way I see it is that Allen or Heinicke starting can be good in two ways:

1) Allen or Heinicke do prove to be a good starter and then we may have a king term answer.

2) Whichever starts is average or worse and we end up with a top 10 pick. Then, we’ll have one of them as a back up & we can draft our QB of the future in the top 10 of next years draft.

19 minutes ago, BigTimeRedskins said:

Well now that Prescott obviously isn't happening, gimme Minshew. Hopefully we can get him for, like, a 5th and let him battle it out with Allen and Heinicke.

Thank you Jerruh ! Love you man !!  😝

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BigTimeRedskins said:

Well now that Prescott obviously isn't happening, gimme Minshew. Hopefully we can get him for, like, a 5th and let him battle it out with Allen and Heinicke.

I'm with you, BigtimeRedskins.

If I wasn't all-in on Aaron Rodgers...

Minshew would be my #2 choice. He would be a very nice aquisition at QB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm with you, BigtimeRedskins.

If I wasn't all-in on Aaron Rodgers...

Minshew would be my #2 choice. He would be a very nice aquisition at QB. 

I'd like him too though detractors say he can't break a pane of glass from 5 yards. Joe Montana says arm strength is important but overrated. 

I’m pretty sure they’re waiting to see what the Jets do. If they pick a QB I’ll guess we send them one of our thirds for Darnold. If somebody else wants to give them more then go for it. Otherwise, I still see Cam Newton ending up here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m pretty sure they’re waiting to see what the Jets do. If they pick a QB I’ll guess we send them one of our thirds for Darnold. If somebody else wants to give them more then go for it. Otherwise, I still see Cam Newton ending up here. 

Probably true and maybe it’s me, but I don’t see the love others have for Minshew, do you?

I know one thing, I certainly wouldn’t trade for an average talent level QB like him. I don’t think he’s much of an upgrade over Allen & Heinicke. I guess if he’s cut I’d bring him in but I don’t think he moves the needle much.

I did a bit of research on Minshew. I get it... it's Minshew. But what did Moneyball teach us? Let's at least take a look.

Of the 41 QBs that started at least 4 games last year (wanted to sneak in Kyle Allen) Minshew ranked:

20th in completion %  (Kyle Allen 6th)
11th in TD/INT ratio (Kyle Allen 6th)
27th in yards/attempt (Kyle Allen 26th)
30th in QBR (Kyle Allen 8th)
18th in rating (Kyle Allen 12th)

Note, Minshew was on a very bad team and is only 24.

These are indeed average #s on a very bad team. He also got better from his first to his second year.

Note, Kyle Allen was actually pretty darned good last year when he started. He, too, is only 24. Heinicke is 27 BTW.

Sam Darnold was AWFUL. I get it... higher ceiling... bad team.

My takeaway... no on Darnold... no on Cam (just stop it already)... probably no on Minshew.

YES on drafting a QB. Or a vet like Fitz to mentor/compete with Allen and Heinicke.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Probably true and maybe it’s me, but I don’t see the love others have for Minshew, do you?

I know one thing, I certainly wouldn’t trade for an average talent level QB like him. I don’t think he’s much of an upgrade over Allen & Heinicke. I guess if he’s cut I’d bring him in but I don’t think he moves the needle much.

Mobile, rushes at over 5 yards a clip. TDs 37 vs 11 interceptions . Very good ratio. He young- ceiling unknown . Played on VERY poor team. Should be low cost -kick the tires !