Lions signed wr tyrell Williams

flyguy1609

On 3/3/2021 at 5:57 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Thanks buddy.  I wasn't sure how I would do with it, but after about a month of studying my new team it has really energized my interest in football in general.  I think it has been a "healthy" thing as far as being a football fan overall.  I would encourage other people to check out new teams if their interest in the NFL is waning due to many years of following a team that has left you disappointed.  It's supposed to be about having fun.

Jags have been my AFC team since the first playoff run in '96. Been ride or die through alot of bad years (and a few bright spots) since.......pretty similar to my lions fandom which goes back alot further since I grew up on them....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miblue said:

Jags have been my AFC team since the first playoff run in '96. Been ride or die through alot of bad years (and a few bright spots) since.......pretty similar to my lions fandom which goes back alot further since I grew up on them....

Wow, Lions and Jags.  You've had a long tough road to travel in your fandom.  Just goes to show how much you like football though.  I salute your loyalty! 

8 hours ago, Miblue said:

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Wow, Lions and Jags.  You've had a long tough road to travel in your fandom.  Just goes to show how much you like football though.  I salute your loyalty! 

communist party model GIF

How I imagine it feels like cheering for the Lions AND the Jags. 

• 7 months later...
27 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

The Lions have around 2.6 million in cap room. OBJ's 2021 salary cap hit is 14.5 million. I don't see it as a realistic option.

Didn't Browns reconstruct that contract somehow, i dont think OBJ cap hit is that much now?

E: https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2021/11/5/22765126/odell-beckham-jr-release-rumors-contract-how-much-money-do-the-browns-owe-him-who-has-cap-space

Edited by teude

1 hour ago, teude said:

Adam Schefter is reporting the Browns restructured Beckham’s contract to officially release him. The new deal ends after the 2021 season and any team claiming Beckham would owe him $7.25 million in salary. The only teams that currently have that much cap space are the Jaguars, Eagles, Broncos, Seahawks, Panthers, Washington, Steelers, Chargers, and Bengals.

4 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Comp pick...

Clear the space.  

Play him or shelf him.  

Resign or collect pick...

I hadn't really thought of the comp pick angle, but now that you made me think about it I still doubt they'd be able to.

They've already cut/traded about as much as possible so I don't see how they'd be able to bring OBJ in.

If they were able to dump enough to fit his salary in I doubt they'd do it with comp picks in mind because a lot of dead cap frees up a lot of spending money. I think they'll be players in free agency this year.

2 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I hadn't really thought of the comp pick angle, but now that you made me think about it I still doubt they'd be able to.

They've already cut/traded about as much as possible so I don't see how they'd be able to bring OBJ in.

If they were able to dump enough to fit his salary in I doubt they'd do it with comp picks in mind because a lot of dead cap frees up a lot of spending money. I think they'll be players in free agency this year.

Yeah I looked at the cap calculator and it’s pretty tough to find places to move that money.  It’s just too bad because I think it’s such a good opportunity.  Having said that I think the cap is pretty malleable.  Teams like the Saints figure out ways when they are like $100 mil over and re-sign players and use the tag.  It would be tough but I think they could make it work. 

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/11/no-the-detroit-lions-dont-plan-to-claim-wr-odell-beckham-jr.html

Dan Campbell didn’t leave any room for interpretation when asked if the Detroit Lions would use their top waiver priority on wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

“Uh, no,” Campbell said on Monday.

It’s worth noting that Campbell provided more detail when asked how the team evaluates an opportunity to claim a big-name player like Beckham. Campbell added that he and general manager Brad Holmes “talk about everything, and he was no different.”

“He was no different. I would just leave it at that,” Campbell said. “Look, our ears and our eyes are open to everything. And if there was a certain way to make things work, we’d be open for just about any player if it made sense.”

Seems like OBJ will make it past at least the first waiver claim. 

• Like 1