Thoughts and Observations: Ravens

WindyCity

Thought and Observations: Ravens

-This was by a fairly wide margin the most dominant performance we have seen from a Fangio defense. This is closer to what I expected than earlier in the season.

-Kyle Fuller is the most improved Bears and is playing at a Pro Bowl level in the last few weeks. He has been good all season, but yesterday he was flat out dominant and his 3 PD led to the pick 6 and the Ravens kicking a field goal in what looked like an easy TD situation after the bad call on Jones. The really incredible part of his play is how physical he is playing. He destroyed Ben Watson coming up and saved the Bears 4-5 yards and forced a 3rd down. He also made 2-3 more tackles that made me think he was a LB and not a CB. If this continues they need to work to sign him long term.

-Eddie Jackson does not have a pick yet, but his range is something the Bears have not had in a long time. There was a run in the 2nd half where Floyd got widened  and it looked like it was going to be an easy 1st down as Collins ran towards the sideline, but then 39 flashes through the screen and pushes him out of bounds to force a 3rd down. What I was sure was going to be a 6-8 yard gain ended up being 3 and the ground covered was insane. The range he showed on the hit on Perrimen that led to Callahan's interception was also awesome to see.

-Good for Adrian Amos he made a nice PD on a short pass to Watson and then turned around and went 90 yards with his first interception. The physical tools have always been there so it will be interesting to see if this builds for him. He does look way better and more comfortable at SS.

-Bryce Callahan has a slower start to the season than I was expecting, but he has really started to look like the dynamic slot CB that we thought he was.

-I didn't see a lot of Prince Amukamara, but I have to assume he was playing well as Wallace did little and Fuller was targeted a lot even when he was dominating his side of the field.

-When Christian Jones does not have to call plays he looks pretty good. The difference between this game and the 2nd half last week was shocking. Jones gets a little lost in coverage from time to time, but he is so physical against the run and is a really good blitzer. Jones should be re-signed as depth and a special team contributor and should be given a chance to replace Freeman when that happens.

-Danny Trevathan has been playing incredible football. Not only does having him call the plays have a huge impact, but he is flying around making plays and his coverage ability is a huge asset.

-Pernell McPhee is really a shadow of what he use to be. Pass protections are focusing on Floyd and the only guy who is taking advantage of that is Hicks. Watch next game how often the TE and RB are set to Floyd's side. The Bears desperately need to get someone who can really attack the right side of the OL.

-Leonard Floyd has another productive game, but did not notch a sack. He drew a hold, had a couple of other rushes that generated pressure. Floyd is still being dropped into coverage a ton and is still not really being turned loose to rush. He has some reps against the run where he was widened and was unable to make the play, but for the most part I have been really happy with his run defense. 

-Akiem Hicks is an All Pro.

-Eddie Goldman had a really good game in the middle and continues to be a really good run stuffer. His ability to disengage from a double team and make a play is really something. I think the Bears need to open up contract talks with him now and make sure that he and Hicks are manhandling lines for the next 4 years.

-Jonathan Bullard and Roy Robertson-Harris sighting. Both has decent plays and actually played some snaps. Still no pass rush from Bullard which is frustrating.

-Dion Sims made 2 catches, one for a TD, but he continued to kind of suck. If the Bears had a negative run you could often find Dion Sims lying on the ground near by. I get that the matchup of Sims on Suggs is not a great one, but he could put in a better effort. I am not sure that he is worth the money he is getting paid if he is going to alternate sucking at either blocking, catching, or both each week.

-The Bears need a little more from Zach Miller. I know the game plan has been turned into a John Fox conservative wet dream, but he needs to be the guy that gets open when the scramble is on. I am not sure if he is seeing a ton of extra attention, but I keep waiting for him to have a 6-7 catch game.

-The Bears are handing the ball too much to Tarik Cohen. I know that when you run the ball 50 times that he needs to get touches, but he is not a traditional RB and I would rather see him playing in the slot and catching passes more often. What happened to the creative split outs and routes that got Cohen open deep against the Falcons and Tampa Bay, Glennon missed both. 14 carries is too much and 1 catch is not enough. The Bears creativity has gone up on trick plays, but has disappeared with Cohen.

-Jordan Howard is the best RB we have watched since Walter Payton. His ability to stay on his feet and maintain balance is incredible.

-Michael Burton with a nice catch and a couple really nice blocks. I hate FBs, but he continues to show his value.

-Tanner Gentry was open on a deep route early and Trubisky over threw him by 10 yards, but after that he was not targeted I am not sure if that was part of the game plan and play calls or whether he was not getting open. Will need to wait for the all 22 tape.

-Was really hoping that Tre McBride would build off an intriguing first game, but he was not targeted. Baltimore has a good secondary, but there has to be more that the Bears can do to get these guys some easy completions and get them going a little.

-Kendall Wright needs more targets, more routes and he needs to be the focal point of the offense, as weird as that sounds. He has been as reliable as he can be in this offense and continues to run good routes, get open and catch the ball. Make sure he is on the field when you need to pass, Sims adds nothing.

-Cody Whitehair either gets the snaps down consistently or he has to be moved to OG next season. You simply cannot have a bad snap a game. More often than not those are huge negative plays or turnovers. The snap that he air mailed that Trubisky picked up at the goal line was an incredibly athletic play by 10 and could have easily been a Baltimore TD. Whitehair is very good still once he is done snapping. His 2nd level work is exceptional, so why not stop making him snap the thing.

-Kyle Long had a strong game in the run game, but he and Massie struggled with some twists and loops. I am not sure what the issue was, sound, scouting, his ankle, but the right side was not a strength in pass pro.

-I do not think this is a game that Bobbie Massie will put on his highlight tape. Anytime that you rush for 200 yards the OL was doing a lot right, but I think he will not grade out well in the pass game. I think the Bears need legit competition at OT next season.

-Charles Leno was steady again. People love to hate him, but the Bears continue to have a ton of success running to the left side and his ability to seal the edge on the outside runs is a big reason for that. I thought he held up well in pass pro against Suggs who will be a HOF player.

-Still too many penalties on the OL.

-I do not normally do a special teams version of this, but this was such a pathetic performance from special teams that firing Jeff Rogers today would not be out of line.

-The kick return was sloppiness and a unit that is not playing through the whistle.

-The punt return was great design by the Ravens and they isolated and beat up LeBlanc, who was also beat up later on during the overtime punt, but the Bears really got schemed out of the edge there.

-Pat O'Donnell shanking the punt in overtime is maximum Bears.

Allowing the game to stew for a day,  this is a really confusing team offensively in terms of playcalling. The run heavy plan makes sense, but the mix of utterly predictable passing calls (down to the down!) and insane stuff (Cohen TD pass) is pretty wild.  

I worry I am becoming a Loggains apologist, but anyone else feel like Fox has a heavy hand on his playbook and is keeping it to passing game 101? 

I really wanted to wait on Mitch until I looked at the all 22, but our service in Canada is not working.

1. I think he has 2 elite traits in his footwork and his accuracy. He moves so well and still maintains a base from which he can throw accurately.

2. I think he executed within an ultra conservative Fox game plan and did what he could.

3. The Bears are screwing themselves over by being in long yardage every single play. Over 50% of his attempts were from way behind the sticks.

4. The play on the goal line after the botched snap is a play that 10% of QBs in the league can make.

5. The throw aways showed real growth considering how the defense was playing, no risk was needed from the QB position.

I would like to see the Bears unleash Mitch a little.

I went back and re-watched the game last night; my God was that defense ALIVE! Everyone was flying up and hitting, and Adrian freaking Amos of all people was blowing up plays and making open-field tackles.

Eddie Jackson continues to flash his athleticism, and I've been impressed with his willingness to come up and tackle.

Kyle Fuller, you're serving me a disgusting plate of crow and I will gladly eat it... I hope he stays healthy and continues to play at a Pro Bowl level

Told y'all not to sleep on Amos.  The kid can ball despite only having 1 career INT and it coming just this past Sunday in his 3rd year on the job.

The defense is back.  We just need some playmakers at WR next year and this is a playoff team.

I loved seeing the defense play hard, but do keep in mind they were going up against and offense that is not top end, and in fact kinda similar to the BEars O in terms of injury.  

Panthers and Saints should be a real test,  expect the Saints especially will have many of us checking out the 2018 DB draft class... 

Archived