23 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will Jets Draft at 2?

• Wilson
    • Fields
    • Jones
    • Lance
    • Other

14 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Just think if did not have a QB issue, what we could get for our second overall pick in the draft I think we would talking a KINGS Ransom. I think we have a real chance of getting a first tier O lineman in the FA market, I am not so sure about a tier one WR. but you never know.

Quite frankly drafting Sewell would be wasting the pick. Becton and Fant are a good OT duo. I think it’s far fetched we get a #1 WR in FA. So if we do roll with Darnold. That has to be the pick.

If we go QB... I don’t see it on why Wilson is rated ahead of Fields. For me I’m drafting Fields over Wilson all day.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Cap space is one reason. Both Chicago and Detroit are $7M OVER the cap and if Chicago is going to make an all out play for Watson that is a lot of cap space they need to create. Tagging a WR will cost almost $17M and since both Robinson and Gollady will want more than $17M, both teams would now be closer to $25M over. The only reason they would tag either is to trade them. It would be a gamble because if no one wants to trade for them, they will lose the player in July. That would look bad for the team. If they don’t sign the tag, the teams will be in even worse cap trouble.

For Chicago, Robinson is not happy there, as he has indicated.  I doubt he would make himself a Jamal sized headache, but why keep a player not under contract who does not want to be there?

I do think Godwin will remain on the Bucs. They have the $ and are the current SB champs.  Why would he want to leave?  TB does have some other big names to take care of like Barrett but J think both will remain so they can make another run. When Brady leaves in a year or two, they will have a total rebuild.

And Tier 1 WR’s were never a dime a dozen. WR has always been one of the more expensive positions for the really good ones. 

what I meant was  that  years ago teams used only one wide receiver and in the late fifties teams went to a WR & flanker back and now there are three receivers on the field on just about every play. And all three have to be tier one players. Look what happen in the SB this year KC had only one tier 1 WR on the field and a great TE and both were being double cover and they still did very well & the other WR for KC did nothing. My original post should have been worded better sorry about that.

32 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

what I meant was  that  years ago teams used only one wide receiver and in the late fifties teams went to a WR & flanker back and now there are three receivers on the field on just about every play. And all three have to be tier one players. Look what happen in the SB this year KC had only one tier 1 WR on the field and a great TE and both were being double cover and they still did very well & the other WR for KC did nothing. My original post should have been worded better sorry about that.

No worries. I would argue that all three WR need to be great or highly compensated. Let’s face it, of all the position groups WR has the largest amount of prima donnas. They want the damn ball. Hell our own Meshawn titled his book that way. Imagine three WR’s that whine about not getting the ball enough. It would be a locker room nightmare. In all honesty, I would be happy with three really good WR rather than 3 great WR.

Besides, no one has 3 great WR precisely because there are only so many mouths that can fed. Pitt has done a great job with identifying and drafting WR outside of round 1. They always seem to have that #1 and maybe two others that are pretty good.  When it comes to contract time, they already have an in-house replacement. Good strategy.  That is where I would like to get to along with the OL and maybe pass rusher.

As for KC, they lost because the OL could not handle the front 4 of TB. They had 2 backup OT’s and Pat was under constant duress. He could not get the ball to his other receivers. You can also blame the KC coaching staff for not adjusting to the pressure. They could have kept Kelce in to block more along with the RB. That would have forced the TB LB’s to play closer to the line and blitz more opening short passing lanes for the WR’s. 

Mahomes had a toe injury that required surgery. A healthy Mahomes changes the entire SB dynamic, if not the entire outcome. Yeah the O-line had issues but a healthy Mahomes is the best in the business. It would have been a different story, and a much much better game.

The KC situation speaks more to needing depth at OL more so than having elite talent along the entire OL. If we’re able to get a guy like Linsley in FA, I think Sewell is overkill. The number 2 pick should be QB. If not trade back and grab a WR.

We can use one of 23 or 34 to continue adding to the OL.

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Mahomes had a toe injury that required surgery. A healthy Mahomes changes the entire SB dynamic, if not the entire outcome. Yeah the O-line had issues but a healthy Mahomes is the best in the business. It would have been a different story, and a much much better game.

I don’t think his toe injury had anything to do with the constant pressure. It could have been a minor factor but certainly not enough to overcome the deficit they were I rather quickly. Any QB facing that much heat has trouble. Hell, the Giants beat the undefeated Pats in the SB the same way. His lack of acceptable OL play is why they lost along with taking away his two favorite targets.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The way we’ve handled addressing the offense. Pick any of your favorite QBs and they would’ve failed here. We created an awful situation for whoever was the QB. Until we fix that... it quite frankly doesn’t matter who the QB is

True and all we can hope for now is that Saleh and his coaches can and do address their end and JD addresses his end.  I refuse to allow the awful execution of past regimes to cloud my hope of our new regime.  Am I a realist or eternal optimist? Pick one.

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

True and all we can hope for now is that Saleh and his coaches can and do address their end and JD addresses his end.  I refuse to allow the awful execution of past regimes to cloud my hope of our new regime.  Am I a realist or eternal optimist? Pick one.

I mean it takes change to see change in results. So getting new coaches in here helps to start. But it’s still the players that have to have the talent to succeed. And we no matter who the GM has been haven’t done that in a DK very long time. We’ve had countless GMs that’s we’ve given the benefit of the doubt the 1st 2-3 years and they have always been awful. So as fans we have a right to question things until there’s wins being produced.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So as fans we have a right to question things until there’s wins being produced.

Question certainly but let’s not lose hope. I stated months ago that this offseason will be a defining offseason for JD. I am hopeful he collaborates with the coaches and helps whoever is at QB. If we enter the season with a second rate FA WR and/or iOL as our only upgrade at the positions, I will lose some hope.

30 minutes ago, xrade said:

Question certainly but let’s not lose hope. I stated months ago that this offseason will be a defining offseason for JD. I am hopeful he collaborates with the coaches and helps whoever is at QB. If we enter the season with a second rate FA WR and/or iOL as our only upgrade at the positions, I will lose some hope.

And the reason for the pessimistic point of view from Me is Bc JD doesn’t seem to value spending money on weapons. He himself pretty much said this in his presser. So we continue to get tier 2 or 3 guys... you get that type of production. When we get someone in here that values offense in an offensive league. Then this team will change.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And the reason for the pessimistic point of view from Me is Bc JD doesn’t seem to value spending money on weapons. He himself pretty much said this in his presser. So we continue to get tier 2 or 3 guys... you get that type of production. When we get someone in here that values offense in an offensive league. Then this team will change.

Well he only had one offseason in a rather weird year. His actions count more than his GM speak. But we shall see. Also, would you truly be upset if he got a tier 2 WR and OL in FA but spent the 23 and 34 pick on one of each. Let’s not forget he spent a FRP and SRP on OT and WR last year. 

21 minutes ago, xrade said:

Well he only had one offseason in a rather weird year. His actions count more than his GM speak. But we shall see. Also, would you truly be upset if he got a tier 2 WR and OL in FA but spent the 23 and 34 pick on one of each. Let’s not forget he spent a FRP and SRP on OT and WR last year. 

Quite frankly the only thing he has to hang his hat on is that he did go offense with his 1st 2 picks in Becton and Mims. And both have potential. But other than that, he failed in FA and the rest of the draft was than impressive. Obviously there’s still way more time to judge these guys. But after 1 year he had 1 good move in Becton so far. And if we ask me when we had the cap space we did and the draft picks we had. To only have 1 guy that can be relied on for the long term for this team. That’s not good

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The way we’ve handled addressing the offense. Pick any of your favorite QBs and they would’ve failed here. We created an awful situation for whoever was the QB. Until we fix that... it quite frankly doesn’t matter who the QB is

It would help if we actually drafted or acquired a good quarterback, though.