Steelers sign QB Ben Roethlisberger to new contract

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, not sure I agree with the Browns fans just yet. Ben is still significantly better than their backup options. They definitely should be shopping soon though...

I think the delta between Ben and Mason Rudolph is MUCH smaller than Steelers fans will admit

If this ends up being a restructure that doesn't push any cap hit into 2022 or beyond, and the $$ amount between this and retirement is pretty narrow - then its a good decision for the Steelers. But if it's more expensive than that, then I don't like it for them at all

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, not sure I agree with the Browns fans just yet. Ben is still significantly better than their backup options. They definitely should be shopping soon though...

6 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I think the delta between Ben and Mason Rudolph is MUCH smaller than Steelers fans will admit

If this ends up being a restructure that doesn't push any cap hit into 2022 or beyond, and the $$ amount between this and retirement is pretty narrow - then its a good decision for the Steelers. But if it's more expensive than that, then I don't like it for them at all

Asking an old, out of shape, and medically less than 100% QB coming off of a major elbow/shoulder injury to throw it 600+ times was comical. I hope they do it again.

• Like 1

So his contract is basically 22 mil of dead cap because of previous restructures and signing bonus etc. Then you had a 15 mil roster bonus due this year and a 4 mil base salary, so that 19 mil has been reworked if they got a new deal for him this year. For PFT to say this not an extension means jack squat because the statement says they signed Big Ben to a new contract for 2021 didnt say if it was one year or multiple years so I dont get this comment that this implies no extension. May be an extension where that 15 mil roster is a signing bonus in which it extends to next year with out him actually being on the roster as some have done it in the past. He will still likely be at a cap hit of 22-26 mil this year if not more. 

They would have a worse season if Ben retired and they took a shot on Rudolph/Haskins, but this pretty much confirms that they will only tread water/exit in the divisional round at best again. Time to start looking at 2022 QBs if you're a Steelers fan.

• Like 1