Kyle Pitts

Millenhater

This is a player we should start talking about and bracing ourselves for.  I have a feeling he is very much in play for our 1st round pick, whether that is at 7 or if we trade down.

He could be on the field full time as both our slot WR (big slot) and as a TE in 12 personnel.  Obviously you can move him around the formation.  Leaving him and Hock on the field would make other teams have to cover one of them with a LB or go small with their personnel.  Just seems like it plays into the mismatch game Campbell wants to play.

I think it wouldn't be the worst pick.  I'd take him over Smith.  Personally I think the draft is loaded at WR.

Another top 10 pick spent on a TE will make most of us beyond pissed but what are your thoughts?

yeah after hating on him. its whatever. if the coaching staff can use him right. sure. he probably is one of the more talented ball cathers. i still like terry, eskridge, vasher later. shoot if we got all of them and a back up RB the offense is stacked. just need passrush and some oline upgrades. 

Just now, NFL_Fan said:

yeah after hating on him. its whatever. if the coaching staff can use him right. sure. he probably is one of the more talented ball cathers. i still like terry, eskridge, vasher later. shoot if we got all of them and a back up RB the offense is stacked. just need passrush and some oline upgrades. 

and linebackers and CB and S of course lol. 

2 hours ago, Millenhater said:

This is a player we should start talking about and bracing ourselves for.  I have a feeling he is very much in play for our 1st round pick, whether that is at 7 or if we trade down.

He could be on the field full time as both our slot WR (big slot) and as a TE in 12 personnel.  Obviously you can move him around the formation.  Leaving him and Hock on the field would make other teams have to cover one of them with a LB or go small with their personnel.  Just seems like it plays into the mismatch game Campbell wants to play.

I think it wouldn't be the worst pick.  I'd take him over Smith.  Personally I think the draft is loaded at WR.

Another top 10 pick spent on a TE will make most of us beyond pissed but what are your thoughts?

Pitts is someone that a few of us have already talked about. 

How do you view him, how are you going to play him and who are you passing up to take him are the key factors when considering him at #7. 

WR: If you view him as a WR and use him as a WR, then you're comparing him with guys like Chase, Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, etc. If Chase is available, then I'd probably just go for him as I think he's a solid WR1. I'm not quite as sold on Smith or Waddle and would probably lean towards Pitts over those guys. 

TE: We've already invested a high pick at TE in Hockenson. He is proving to be one of the top guys at the position but I don't really want to invest a lot of draft capital in that position. In addition to that, Pitts isn't going to give you a lot of what a TE traditionally offers in terms of blocking. So you're going to get a guy that's really good in one area but not so good in another. 

Bypassing guys: We could bypass guys like Slater (OT), Parsons (LB), Smith or Waddle (WR) in this spot. If Sewell or Chase are there.... I think you have to go with one of those other guys. If there's a run at QB ahead of us then someone like Mac Jones could be a trade target and we'd be moving down anyway. 

Personally, I don't think that we should be getting stuck on the label of a player but look at what they can do and what they'd be asked to do for us. Pitts is a guy that will catch passes and make plays. Whether he has the athleticism to really be considered a WR at his size is yet to be seen. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Pitts is someone that a few of us have already talked about. 

How do you view him, how are you going to play him and who are you passing up to take him are the key factors when considering him at #7. 

WR: If you view him as a WR and use him as a WR, then you're comparing him with guys like Chase, Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, etc. If Chase is available, then I'd probably just go for him as I think he's a solid WR1. I'm not quite as sold on Smith or Waddle and would probably lean towards Pitts over those guys. 

TE: We've already invested a high pick at TE in Hockenson. He is proving to be one of the top guys at the position but I don't really want to invest a lot of draft capital in that position. In addition to that, Pitts isn't going to give you a lot of what a TE traditionally offers in terms of blocking. So you're going to get a guy that's really good in one area but not so good in another. 

Bypassing guys: We could bypass guys like Slater (OT), Parsons (LB), Smith or Waddle (WR) in this spot. If Sewell or Chase are there.... I think you have to go with one of those other guys. If there's a run at QB ahead of us then someone like Mac Jones could be a trade target and we'd be moving down anyway. 

Personally, I don't think that we should be getting stuck on the label of a player but look at what they can do and what they'd be asked to do for us. Pitts is a guy that will catch passes and make plays. Whether he has the athleticism to really be considered a WR at his size is yet to be seen. 

If I’m picking him as purely a WR then no I’m not taking him over Chase or even Waddle.  I actually think he can block.  Not an elite road grader but he’s more than decent for a TE from what I’ve seen.  I think if we ran 12 personnel with him and Hock it would be a pretty amazing package the we can shift formations and flex him or Hock out or keep them in to dictate mismatches.  

I’m not saying I want Pitts, I’m just saying I feel like he might be the guy and I’m just preparing myself for it. 

I’m curious what he will measure in at and run at his pro day. I think that will go a long ways in determining where he goes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Every time I watched his games I had to confirm it was him because TE’s just shouldn’t be able to do some of the things he does.  I wouldn’t be upset if they selected him. Not my preferred option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Every time I watched his games I had to confirm it was him because TE’s just shouldn’t be able to do some of the things he does.  I wouldn’t be upset if they selected him. Not my preferred option.

He's an insane. Too agile and fast for LBs. Too big, strong, long, and surehanded for DBs.

9 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I'm still very much not in favor. It's an incompetent use of a top-10 pick. I think anyone who drafts him in the top 10 is making a mistake, so it's not a Lions-only thing.

I think it really depends on the staff. If my staff isn't going to let him drive the shape of the offense and would just sit him at TE and never move him there isn't much sense to it. It'd be like buying the nicest car you can think of and never going on the highway / just driving it a legal speed around a town.

But he's a special prospect.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Millenhater said:

If I’m picking him as purely a WR then no I’m not taking him over Chase or even Waddle.  I actually think he can block.  Not an elite road grader but he’s more than decent for a TE from what I’ve seen.  I think if we ran 12 personnel with him and Hock it would be a pretty amazing package the we can shift formations and flex him or Hock out or keep them in to dictate mismatches.  

I’m not saying I want Pitts, I’m just saying I feel like he might be the guy and I’m just preparing myself for it. 

I’m curious what he will measure in at and run at his pro day. I think that will go a long ways in determining where he goes.

I'm not saying I want him over Chase at all... just that I would take him over Waddle and Smith. Again, all of that is assuming his numbers check out.

I have zero issues in taking a guy getting Mike Evans comparisons (perennial 1,000 yard receiver). 

• Like 1