DP8017'S Dawn of A New Era Mock

Dawgpoun8017

15 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Not a bad off-season, depending on ones point of view.....

Personally, I think the trades are bad, selling our #1 WR for a 2nd, I wont kill you for that, trading Njoku for a 4th, I think my thoughts are very clear on I think this is the worst move proposed....we have an offense that's AFC divisional round ready RIGHT Now, and you want to go and trade our #1 Wr and (at the end of the year) our best TE.....OK. I also dont like the trades mortgaging future draft capital. And lastly , with our core of players, we are going to need cap space, Sign Lawson and Levonte David (who turns 32 during this coming season) and we say goodbye to Chub and Teller.....I wouldnt swap out those 2 for the 2 we'd be loosing in FA....also dont like doubling down on LB's with our top pick and crazy FA money...our D Coordinator wants to run a 4-2-5....I dont see the heavier investment in LB's than in DB's.

The Lavonte David signing imo would be like a 2 year signing as you said he is 32 but still good, ranked top 6 in both run stop and coverage for linebackers and I think he would be an invaluable piece for our younger guys like Mack and Phillips, I don't think that signing him would prevent us from signing chubb or teller. Lawson is really the only one who I would sign for a longer deal such as 4 years because he is still only like 24 or 25 years old and imo an underrated DE stuck in a bad situation and I think this draft is decent but not great with pass rushing prospects at least ones that will reach us at 26 and I would rather sign him to pair him with Myles than draft any of the ones in the draft.  My favorite of the pass rushing prospect is Ojulari from Georgia but I am having trouble placing him in a position, is he a 4-3 DE i dont really think so, is he a 3-4 OLB I think he would really excel there, is he a 4-3 OLB, I guess he could be if he were in the right system idk how he is in coverage though but as far as pure pass rushing ability I think he is right there at the top, I do have to watch more of Joe Tryon though, I have heard good reviews of him but he opted out this year

15 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Draft is not bad....I think Ifeatu MeliFonwu-CB-Syracuse in the 2nd is a huge overdraft. I could live with Collins in round 1 (if Morwhig is gone)....I like grant...widing up with 4 picks in the 2nd round feels a little "Madden'ish". Also dont like the concept of swapping out OBJ for Tutu Atwell and the 7th round kid from FSU...how does that improve us, how does that get us closer to beating KC than keeping OBJ and Njoku? IF Higgins (assuming we resign him) and Landry had to miss time, are we cool with starting these two kids along with DPJ and no Njoku at TE (and lets say that Hooper is missing that week also?)

Just from where I'm sitting, and my mindset for saving money to pay our OWN home picked or home developed talent, not to mess with the Offense that took us to the AFC division game last year, only adding to it, and focusing on getting Joe Woods the players he needs to run his PREFERRED style of defense. I think this off-season would be counter productive to all those goals.

I'm not downing your efforts, well thought out. We just see how to move this team forward very differently.

P.S.: Love the Cat in the Lime Helmet with the "We Ride at Dawn" caption LOL

In most every Mock that I have seen that is more than one round Melifonwu has been going about mid second and that is where we would most likely take him,  he is 6'2 215 lbs corner with long arms decent in coverage and a good and willing tackler, imo he wont make it out of the 2nd round and very well could go early second if he tests well, at this point is is a better prospect than his brother was.  I am a Syracuse fan and I will tell you that the defense was bad this year but players like Melifonwu were much better than they are given credit for because of how bad the surrounding players were and how bad the team was.  Collins imo will at worst be a serviceable starting linebacker in this league, someone in another thread compared him to Fred Warner which is how I see him as well and someone that Woods should be familiar with, he is big long and a good athlete, a willing and capable tackler which is something this team lacks, plays good in coverage and can play either outside or inside.  I like Richie Grant because he is a good all around safety and could play either safety position if needed.  as far as the WR goes I really do like OBJ and most likely would not trade him unless we were offered something like a second for him because at this point in his career a first is not happening, Hollywood I could see getting resigned by us but I also feel that he is going to get a serious look on  the market and there is a very real possibility someone is going to pay him what were not willing to, I like DPJ development over the season and cant wait to see what chad O'shea can do in a real offseason with him, Jarvis is just Jarvis, he's as rock solid as they come, Tutu Atwell does something that no other WR on this team can do and that is fly, I would not be surprised if he is the fastest WR in this draft and would be playing the Tyreek Hill role in our offense.  Terry is just a ball of clay that is 6'4 and can run very fast and I think could develop into a real weapon with good coaching. Njoku I honestly don't think is in the long term plans and honestly I dont think he sees himself here past this season by trading him imo you save cap room and gain draft capital form someone who most likely if you keep him is going to walk away and you get nothing, I think Hoop another year under his belt in Bryant, and we just tendered Stephen Carlson (they must obviously like him) can hold your TE room down.  I will admit the trades probably are a bit maddenish but I guess I see the real value in this draft as in the second round, 

22 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I would guess that OBJ is the proof? That is really the only WR he has struggled with. I guess Callaway would be another example, his success rate was about the same as OBJ but he has been nothing since he left.

idt Callaways is a good example of anything

23 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

idt Callaways is a good example of anything

I guess technically he could be an example of a nothing receiver having some success with Mayfield. Kind of like Perriman catching 64% of his targets with Mayfield throwing to him and never being above 52% any other season. Who knows what Higgins would be elsewhere but I'm guessing not better.